Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Seems Berettas web sight doesn't offer a lot of info on this gun. I can't seem to find the LOP of the wood stocks on the website. I do have the Max4 camo version that I really like. Don't know if it's the fit or sight picture or what but I shoot it much better than all my other shotguns. Including(sadly to say) my Perazzi and SKB 585 Target.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I know how that feels. I shoot my A300 better than than all the guns I own, Beretta A400 Xcel, Remington 870-1100, Winchester Super X1. The guy I shoot with has a real nice K80 and he can shoot my A300 very well, he hands it back real fast because it makes him wonder..... :? Long ago I had the SKB 585 sporting and it's one gun I regret selling.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
It should be a 14.5" LOP. My friend bought one and that's what it measured. You can buy their 1/2" plastic spacer, or Micro Core recoil pads in different thicknesses to increase LOP. The shims adjust the stock for cast on/off, and drop at comb.

My friend's A300 had been a very reliable and good gun. He hit 82/100 in Sporting clays with it today using an Carlson LM choke and cheap Herter's ammo. He's a lefty and liked that he can adjust it to his needs.

He cleans it about every 500-800 rounds but I've never seen it malfunction. It's not the nicest looking gun but for the $610 he paid for it, it's a great gun.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
My all black model came with two length of pull spacers. A short one and a long one, are the wood models not coming with length of pull spacers? I also remember reading that when they first released the wood ones, they weren't coming with shims for adjusting the cast on/cast off and drop etc.

I have found that I shoot my A300 better then my A400 xcel as well. My only complaint is that they don't make a 20 gauge, and they don't make a 12 gauge with anything longer then a 28" barrel.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Played a round of golf with my sons in Ft Collins yesterday morning. On my way home traffic on I-25 was stopped so I got off on the first exit. As luck would have it Cabelas was right down the road, they had 1 A300 in wood. Brought it home, cleaned it up and took it to the sporting clays range this morning. Hit 68 right out of the box, my camo has the LOP set at 13 3/4" the wood stock felt a bit long but manageable. I'm a pretty thick guy so I like my LOP a little shorter so I may have to take a little off the stock. Was shooting Suprema 1350 1oz shells without a single hic-up, not bad for right out of the box. After the first 100 clays I went back to a couple stands I had a problem with and shot another 25, shotgun was flawless. Think I may go ahead and clear a half dozen O/Us and SXSs out of the safe. Had a pretty good day shooting doves on opening day last Thursday with the A300 camo. Think these things are the only shotguns I need. Edit to add(and I'm a little embarrassed to say) I like shooting the doubles because I hate picking up spent shells in the field and at every station. Guess I better get used to it.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Does the A300 normally come with the hardware needed to install a sling? My friend's A300 came with the hardware screwed into the butt stock, but not the ring that goes under the magazine cap. Did anyone else get one with their gun? Thanks...

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
mine came with everything installed for a sling. I'd call Beretta and let them know that you are missing that ring. Who knows what happens to these guns after they leave the factory, I've seen gun stores open new guns only to take parts out of it for another gun that they sold, and then it just starts a vicious cycle.

I'm sure Beretta would send one out at no charge for you since it wasn't included when you bought it. Enjoy the new A300, it's a great gun.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My A300 max4 came with extra shims for drop and cast, it also had the spacers for LOP. The A300 wood I bought on Sunday had no extra shims or spacers. Both came with sling studs, the Max4 molded in the stock and built into the for end cap the wood has a screw in stud on the stock and built into the for end cap.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
fatguywithafirearm said:
My A300 max4 came with extra shims for drop and cast, it also had the spacers for LOP. The A300 wood I bought on Sunday had no extra shims or spacers. Both came with sling studs, the Max4 molded in the stock and built into the for end cap the wood has a screw in stud on the stock and built into the for end cap.
How many extra shims for drop and cast did your Camo version come with? I ask because my black synthetic model only came with one, the one that's installed.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I thought they came with one set, the set that's installed. You can buy an alternate spacer/plate for additional adjustments.

For example the A400 20ga (and a friend's A300) came with a spacer & plate which offers a choice of 55 or 60 mm drop, and left or right tilt (cast-on or cast-off) depending on which way they're installed.

If you want, you can buy another two parts which will offer a 50 or 65 mm drop, with the same cast-on or cast-off setting.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/C58979

and

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/C55404

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
fatguywithafirearm said:
Went digging through my Max4 camo box tonight. No extra shim for drop or cast(I stand corrected) 2 LOP spacers.
Ok that's what I thought as well, because I was going to pick up the phone and give Beretta a call. My black synthetic model also came with two LOP spacers. The shim system that Beretta has is really such a win/win. I'm a lefty and refuse to buy left handed models because I don't like the controls being flipped due to me being left hand strong.

·
Registered
11,946 Posts
fatguywithafirearm said:
Went digging through my Max4 camo box tonight. No extra shim for drop or cast(I stand corrected) 2 LOP spacers.
Same for my A300 Max4. I "think" the A400 may come with extra spacers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.