Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my AL-2 apart for a cleaning and ran into a snag that maybe someone has come across before.

I wanted to remove the buttstock so I could give the recoil spring tube a good cleaning. When I went to remove the stock nut the recoil spring tube unscrewed from the receiver. It doesn't appear that I can get the recoil tube out of the stock. I have tried soaking the stock nut with penetrating oil, putting it all back together and tried again hoping to get lucky enough to have just the nut unscrew, but so far no luck.

Anybody have this happen to them?
If so how did you correct it?

I thought if worse came to worse, I could clean the receiver and the threads where the recoil tube screw into really good and do the same for the end of the recoil spring tube sticking out of the stock and put it back together with locktite or some sort of thread sealant, and then try again, hoping that the nut would unscrew.

Thanks in advance for any help
Mark

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
I've never had that problem. :shock:

One possibility: push the spring follower in far enough to get a large Ez-out (screw extractor) in the forward end of the tube, and hold it in a vise while you put force on the wrench to get the nut off.

Another idea: Take it to a gunsmith. :wink:

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
A quick zip from an air powered tool (1/2" impact) might break the nut loose before the tube spins too much.
Maybe you can gently hold the bottom of the tube with some needle nose vise-grips?
Dont crush or dent the tube though.
Or crack the stock.
Be ready when that nut does come off :shock:
Good luck.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the ideas.

Yeah, I'm gonna try to not damage the tube if I can.

I'm going to try locktite on the receiver threads and the air wrench.
Maybe that will work.

Thanks again
Mark

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anybody have a picture of the tube and nut with the buttstock removed?

I've taken my 390s apart before, but never an AL-2. It's a different arrangement. I take it that it's more like an 1100 nut but open on the end instead of the screw driver slot.

Thanks
Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.