Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with experience using a Beretta AL391 Trap? I am new to trap shooting and several friends have recommended using an auto rather than an O/U. I would appreciate your opinions or experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
THEY ARE A VERY FINE GUN FOR THE $$. I purchased the 391 Parallel, same gun with the factory short stock, for my wife last year as she wanted to get into shooting doubles. We did do a few modifications to it. We had the forcing cone lengthened, barrel ported an added an adjustable comb and pad. I wanted to also have the barrel backbored, but found that the barrel did not support enough steel to do this. Keep in mind , my wife is a small framed gal. That is the reasoning for the barrel work. Once we had done this it was very acceptable to her. To me there was very little recoil to begin with. The only major fault I seen in this gun, is the trigger. If you do nothing else with this gun, get the trigger reworked. There is a lot of creep in them, they are just a very sluggish trigger. We sent it off to SEMINOLE. The difference between the two is like night an day. Very crisp. One thing you will find out, they are a pain in the a$$ to clean.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the welcome Jay. This is my slow time of year. [ Arborist in central Ohio] I came across this site an found it to be some what interesting to me. I am an avid trap shooter, I have shot some where around 25,000 reg. birds, an recently started playing the sporters game. I also love to hunt, gun and bow.I came into this site looking for a little advise, seems like the only thing I am doing is giving it. That is ok. If I can help someone, that is great. Grant you I'm not the brightest light in the room but you will not see me blowing no smoke. Anything I pass along is usually from first hand experience. I also dabble in a little gun swapping this time of year. Gun Broker, Auction Arms, why I might try to hang a couple on the wall in here as soon as I get some more time or should I say, shut in a little more deeper.

G

·
I think the 391 is a great gun but don't count out the 390! I have a 390 with a 780 bore moneymaker barrel. The rib is a high adjustable one. The comb is cut and the pad is adjustable. I've shot many high dollar guns and none of them are as soft as this one. I have about 3000.00 in it but it is a dream to shoot. As long as the gun fits and does'nt kick,you should be ok.[/b]

G

·
I have been shooting a 391 Gold Trap pretty heavily for the past month. Absolutely love the gun. I am relatively inexperienced, but have had more success with this gun that many others I shot while looking.

As others may point out, how the gun fits you seems to be the most important aspect of gun selection. See posts by Rolliln Oswald for information on proper gun fitting.

You can pick up a brand new 391 Trap Optima in 12 Gauge for as little as $800, which is a heck of a buy (jthagency dot com or realgoldsports dot com). The newer 391's have Optima backbored barrels and extended optima chokes. These items would cost four or five hundred dollars to add to an existing gun.

Jeff

G

·
Bought a 391 sporting to shoot sporting clays. The guns recoil is very mild, fits well, very pretty, but the gun will not consistently feed the second shell on doubles.

This happens with AA, nitro's plus the cheap stuff.

After about 1000 rounds it should be broken in by now. Any suggestions?

With this experience I would go Remington or Winchester.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.