1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
john305
(4/27/03 12:26:10 pm)
Beretta AL391 Teknys

I was at my local gun store and he had a Teknys there from what I understand is that right now it is just over in the European market. He special ordered it for a guy who has not picked it up, so now he is selling it. I shouldered it and totally love it. It is light at 6.6lbs and really really pretty. The wood is gorgous and the nickeled reciever is looks great with the light wood. Has any one shot this gun? I know it is basically the AL391 Urika but are there any real differences? I was looking for a new hunting gun and this is nicer than what I was looking for but I just can't stop thinking about it.

Here is a link with some great pics of the gun. This is priced at $1059.00 used the one I am looking at is $849 new.

www.collectorsfirearms.com/s619.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rick618
(4/27/03 12:29:55 pm)
wow

The wood on those guns that I have seen in pics are all outstanding, how does the one in hand compare?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

john305
(4/27/03 1:26:04 pm)
Re: wow

OH YEAH

Deadeye
(4/27/03 4:59:38 pm)
Re: wow Grain !!

It appears the wood grain is not all that it appears to be. It looks like that new proccess where a film is used to get the affect, same as the camo stocks are done. I've seen the Onyx model with the proccess, looks great!!

Bird Hunter
(4/29/03 6:27:09 pm)
Re: wow Grain !!

john,
what price did the guy at capitol quote for you? i'll be going past there on friday so i could stop in and check it out for ya.
give me an excuse to go to the gun store.
"The early bird gets the worm ,but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!"

biggreenR
(4/29/03 9:26:37 pm)
teknys

looked at one today. The "wood" you see is not really wood but a picture of one of their select wood samples that has been overlayed onto a junk hardwood core. It is called x-tra wood. You can tell the "Xtra wood" from real wood by a trademark on the grip cap area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hate to burst your bubble but that fancy wood you see isnt really wood. its fancy cut paper that they laminate to the wood and then put a few coats of stain over. the other differences include the gel-recoil pad and of course the pretty silver reciever, which is a nice touch i must add. However, the stock is simply unacceptable in my mind, its a modified paper, thats it! its completely the same gun as the Urika AL391 with only a few cosmetic changes. my opinion, dont buy it. buy the Urika AL 391 and keep your extra $300 bucks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Biggreen, does the trademark for the xtra wood on the grip cap actually say "xtra wood" or is there some symbol for it? I'm glad you guys mentioned this laminate covering because I had no idea and was about to pay the extra money to get a prettier stock on a 391 gold sporting model. By the way, the Beretta website describes the Teknys stock as "highly selected oil finished walnut" then on another page of the site it contradicts itself and says the Teknys has the x-tra wood laminate covering.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Depends on which model of the Teknys you are looking at, because some of them appear to have a true wood stock, not the veneer finish.

G

·
It is an option. Just like the blackwing comes with walnut or xtra wood. Xtra wood was developed for the guy that plays hard and usually nicks up his stocks etc... This way you don't care as much about the stock. It is the same wood as the awesome the regular but just doesn't have pretty grain to it etc...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SHP
(5/21/03 5:54:01 pm)
Love my Teknys

About a month ago I purchased a Teknys from Joel Etchen Guns. It is my first shotgun and I wanted an everything gun (duck, pheasant, dove, skeet, trap and sporting clays). Because it's the off-season I've only shot skeet, trap and sporting clays. Verdict: I love it.

Easy to handle and shoot. Extremely easy on the shoulder. And it is a great looking gun to boot--always draws compliments.

My only complaint is that I had some damage on the fore-end checkering (probably due to rough handling during shipping) and a very small bit of the fore-end finish has flaked off. Joel has agreed to replace the fore-end so I'm satified.

I recommend the gun and Joel Etchen.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
There is a stamp in the flat part of the pistol grip that says xtra wood. On one of the field grade versions the colored enamel is missing on the wood, where in the upgrade and clays guns there is a blue or green extension (looks like the pointed end of a teardrop) of the reciever onto the not veneered butt stock.

Beretta has one heck of a new catalog out, looks more like a JC Penneys catalog.

G

·
Hi Guys,
I just purchased a 391 Teknys Gold in Walnut along with optima bore. This is my first nice shotgun so I have nothing to compare it to.. I have shot a 390 sport with a 30" barrel at the sporting clay range. My 28" barreled Teknys does seem to kick a bit more but other than that I love the fit and finish of the gun.

Gary Spradley
Birmingham Alabama

G

·
I just got my Teknys Gold Sporting and tested it at a trap range. It dramatically improved my accuracy a lot. The gun really feels right and fits like a glove. A couple of old timers at the range noticed my gun and had great comments on it. THe optima choke and optibore really helps the shot pattern a lot. About the wood, it is made of selected walnut comparable to some of the over and under guns. I really love my gun and would recommand it highly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have been admiring the Teknys Gold now for a few months.

IT WILL BE MY NEXT purchase very soon.

Have you guys bought the field version ( green inserts and field scene engraving ) or the sporting version ( blue inserts with the trident design). Also , did you guys purchase the optional recoil reducer in the stock ? What barrel length did you guys go with ?

G

·
I got the sporting Gold version with the blue enamel insert on the side. It is a 28 inch version. The sporting model only come in Gold version. It is the most expensive, or the top of the line in the Teknys line of production. So it includes stock recoil reducer, interchangeable rib, optima chokes, Optima bore. I shot it at a trap range and it dramatically improved my accuracy mostly due to the new optima choke and bore. The gun is just so smooth with not much recoil at all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanx for that infor on the Gold Sporting. It does seem to be their top model for the teknys line.

Being that I have a beretta sporting gun , I was trying to learn more about the field version also. Then again Im also debating on whether it should be a 20g. or 12g. ......so Im still lost :twisted:

But this will certainly be my next toy :p

G

·
Does anybody know if the Teknys receiver is nickel plated aluminum? Or is it an entirely different nickel alloy than the aluminum receivers on the standard Urika AL391? Or is it annodized aluminum in a silver color rather than black? Does anybody have any feedback on the durability of the black annodized aluminum receivers or the nickel receiver? Thanks.

G

·
Hey guys- I've recently gotten into shooting skeet and love it, but I want to upgrade up to a 391. I can't decide on the 26" or 28" barrel. Can someone point out the advantages/disadvantages and educate me a little.
Appreciate-
Matt

G

·
I just recieved my Teknys Gold Sporting from the New York Gallery... 12 ga., 30", with the recoil reducer. its got the best peice of wood ive ever seen on a gun, and ive shot through about 8 boxes so far between 5 stand and sporting clays, and it has been nothing but a pleasure to shoot, AND to look at... i was envied by a few browning XT combos and a citori out there, made me feel real good with my buy.

G

·
Word of caution on the Tekney: DO NOT use any harsh cleaner on receiver. Guy at our club cleaned his piston & trigger assembly with brake cleaner and now has dark stains where the chemical got on receiver. Silver colored guns have been around for years and there are damm few that don't darken with cleaning and age. Nice looking gun, but the fake vaneer overlay (Martha Stewart Fall Collection) and the blue/green little bling bling insert is too S.F. gay for my taste. I'll take real wood and bluing any day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts