Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a new shotgun and have it narrowed down to two choices. Either a Beretta AL391 or a Benelli M1 Field. I am going to be using it primarily for pheasants and ducks. I use a muzzleloader for deer, and I have a Remington that shoots 3.5" shells for goose and turkey. I am only looking for a 3" synthetic auto that is reliable and will hold up to some hard use and abuse.

I know the Beretta's gas system will lessen some recoil, but the Benelli's inertia system is easier to clean. Which will be best for pheasants, ducks, and some clay birds? Which will be the most reliable in wet and cold/freezing conditions? Does anyone have any experiences with either of these two guns...good or bad? Thanks in advance for your replies.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was in the same boat last November...I chose the Beretta. Thus far I am completely satisfied with the handling and quick target acquisition I feel with the 30" model. As for durability, I banked my entire "allowance" on this gun...it had better be tough! As for cleaning...spray solvent and oil save a lot of time. Good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks for the post. I handled both guns today and liked the feel of the Beretta better. I have one ordered now. Thanks again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the Benelli +/- the mercury recoil device is the ticket. No gas system to clean, more tolerant of gunk/mud. I also love the raised vent rib. The mag tube can be extended for house protection. I have the M1Field 20g @5.7lbs and walk all day with it jumping duck or pheasant. I also have a Super Black Eagle for blind waterfowl with the recoil reducer. Really tames the 3.5 inch shells to reasonable levels, and the 3 inchers to a mild shove. the 2.75 shells feel like a squib. My experience with Beretta factory service has been largely negative.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
If they both fit you buy the Berreta. Thats just my opinion, buy what you like best.
Have fun shooting :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts