Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking at the Beretta USA website, notice they have a scaled receiver 28 gauge 687, according to the website, it weighs the same as all the other gauges. Does anyone have a Baby frame 28 gauge here? :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Silver pigeon, Have you handled/shot these? I am looking for a nice small 28 gauge. I have a older Wingmaster 28, weighs around 6lbs, love it. Wanting to step up in the 28 world, hunt dove and a few quail, any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Beretta needs to learn how to read a scale and record weights! I haven't weighed a baby frame 28, but have seen some reviews that said it was right at 6 pounds. My 20 gauge 687 SPII field 28" weighs 6 lb. 4 oz.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Gas,

I own SP III's in 12/28" and 20/26" both have been excellent guns for me, and shoot and handle extremely well. I have contemplated a 28 ga to add to the set and had the chance to shoot one a fellow had at the sporting clays course, SP III 28/28" and identical to my two. It was a nice shooting little gun and considerably lighter than my 20 ga. Sure would be a sweet quail/dove gun! Actually I would own one right now if I had known the owner of the gun I shot was going to trade it in on an SP V. I almost puked when he told me how little they gave him on trade. (He grabbed my gun by mistake during a round and loaded 28's into my 20, I think to avoid embarassing himself and making the mistake again he got the V.) The weights seem to be within a few oz's of the quoted weight in my experience. Barrel length and wood density will make slight variences.

SPIII

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have a SP V 28/28 baby frame and it's a JEWEL to shoot. It's lightweight and the 28" bbls make for a smooth swinging little gun. I've used it chasing blue quail in Eastern NM and dove as well as dove hunting in Tx. In addition I've shot a few rounds of sporting clays with it as well.

I understand they also make the SP IV and 686 SP S in the baby frame.
I chose this one over the IV because I love the case-hardened receiver.

G

·
I use an OHAUS digital scale and take it with me as it quickly settles weight claims. I haven't weighed a single 28gauge 28 frame beretta that weighs less than 6#'s. Most individuals can't come within 6 onces of estimating weight, most scales used by gun stores are inacurrate and all gun manufactures badly underestimate the weight of the guns they manufacture. -Dick

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SPIII, Claysmoker-thanks for your comments, Sam had the order the gun from Beretta, have NO idea what the wood looks like. He said some had super wood, some not. It was the only 687 V Baby 28/28 they had, I said what the Heck, just get it, maybe I'll luck out and get a pretty one. I may be embarrassed shooting dove and quail with an UGLY baby frame 28 gauge Beretta, could always go alone :roll:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
gas, just give me a holler when you're going. I grew up in central Tx and this last fall hunted over near Hobbs NM for dove. We can split a flat of shells or something cool and refreshing afterwards.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Etchen firearms called today, said they had a baby 687 V 28 gauge with very nice wood headed my way, they are good folks to deal with. Tracking number says next Thursday, the suspense builds.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The brown truck showed up right on time, it has very nice wood, bright case colors, and is blemish free. It has the pebbled black recoil pad on it, with a silver bead sight installed. The Truglow sights/geltech pad were included also. I am very pleased with the small frame. I am left handed, talked to Mike Orlen today about bending the stock. Etchen guns came through for me on this one, nice folks there. :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dick, don't have an accurate scale handy, but several sources say about 6lbs. It swings very nice with the 28 inch barrels. Beretta may have a hit with these. I wanted a true 28 gauge O/U, not a 28 on a 20 frame. Looked real hard at the Browning Gran Lightning at Gander Mountain, $1999 plus tax,is a nice gun with oil finish wood(I don't like bowling ball finishes),but decided to spring the extra for the Beretta, and glad I did now. Love that 28 gauge. :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.