Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to sell my Beretta 686 Sporting and purchase an A400. I am ONLY interested in e A400 because I own many extended Optima HP chokes already. Also, I'm a lefty.
I used to have an A400 Xplor, which shot well for me. I shoot well with my A300, but it's a righty. I want a lefty.

Anyway, I like the looks of the Black guns compared to the Camo versions. Are the black barrels any less corrosion/rust resistant than the camo versions? I am quite particular about caring for my guns. I don't leave a wet gun in a wet case.

I have no use in a 3.5" gun, so I'm looking at the A400 Lite in LH. Just worried that it might rust if waterfowling.

Anyone? Thanks.

-Karl

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am also wondering this, as I duck guide, and don't have a lot of time to clean my guns every hunt, and am pretty hard on them. My nova at present is one of those guns that theoretically get's cleaned once a year weather it needs it or not, LOL. I'm looking at moving up into an auto shotgun, just wondering about the rust issues with the "black" version vs the cam version as well.

E

·
Registered
228 Posts
My Stepson and I run all black 390 and a 3901 for ducks and geese. If you tell them you are taking them to the marsh, the barrels will start to rust. I had a terrible time with this and it about drove me mad even when I would bring the shotguns home, strip them down on the table, clean them in clean water, dry them, oil them, and the danged things still rusted. Then I found a trick......

Take the barrel off and clean it. Dry it well with a heat gun (uncomfortable to the touch but not smoking hot or anything). Take an old T-shirt rag with some Johnsons Paste Wax on it and start rubbing it on while the barrel is hot. Do this until the barrel cools constantly rubbing on new coats of wax. I even put the wax on the inside of the barrel and the choke threads. The barrel will cool and appear slightly glossy but no more rust. I tried probably 10 other oils, preservatives, etc.. and nothing worked like JPW.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.