Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky enough to shoot the DT10 for a short time and have handled the SKB. My game is primarily sporting clays and I am a novice at that. My gun now is the AL391 Sporting and I like it, too.
But ... I just can't help myself thinking about these two O/U's! While a bit heavier than the 391, they certainly seem to have great balance. I also know that these are generally high priced and I am looking for opinions, experience with these guns!
GTP

·
Premium Member
19,756 Posts
Both are top notch competition guns, but you'll pay about 3 times as much for the DT10 as you will for the 85TSS SKB. Personally, I would take 3 of the SKBs over 1 of the Berettas.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Although the Japanese made SKB has a good price on it, compared to the high end Italian made Beretta DT10, you are really comparing apples and oranges.

One of these has a great warranty, and a great reputation for it's customer service department, which is top-notch.

The other one has a reputation for being everything but bullet proof, and is the shotgun equivalent of the energizer bunny; it just keeps shooting and shooting and shooting.

I am sure the SKB is a good gun, because a guy at my club shoots one, but he is constantly whining about having to send it back to the factory for warranty work, because it's always something with that gun.

My DT10, on the other hand, costs twice (or more, since I have the combo) than the SKB, spends NO time in the shop, and just keeps busting the heck out of those poor defenseless clay birds.

With respect to the SKB crowd, I'll take a DT10 every day of the week, since I know it will work, and "warranty issues" are not something I will have to worry about.

Johnjohn

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
The SKB is a decent gun, but it is not a "top notch" competition gun. The Beretta DT10 is the better gun by a good margin.

Scott

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
winders said:
The SKB is a decent gun, but it is not a "top notch" competition gun. The Beretta DT10 is the better gun by a good margin.
Ditto. There is no comparison between the two.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhh, DT10. If I ever hit the lottery. But I can tell you that I am the owner of a Beretta 682 Gold E. The gun is well built and if the DT10 is an improvement over the one I own (which I understand it is) I can only imagine it is quite a gun.

·
Banned
8,378 Posts
DT 10 for me....

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
If I liked how Beretta guns handles and I won the lottery, I wouldn't be buying a DT10. I would be getting a nice Perazzi. The DT10 is a level below the Perazzi, Krieghoff, and Kolar guns.

Scott

·
Registered
780 Posts
winders said:
If I liked how Beretta guns handles and I won the lottery, I wouldn't be buying a DT10. I would be getting a nice Perazzi. The DT10 is a level below the Perazzi, Krieghoff, and Kolar guns.

Scott
What's wrong with the K-80 you have? Wouldn't you get another of those?

·
Registered
34 Posts
DT10 the only way to go.

Just save up until you can afford. Although looking at the date GTP posted his question he will have saved enough by now. (Mon Sep 15 2003) or was johnjohn just very slow in responding!

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
ClayTargetKiller,

Please note the "If" that started my first sentence. For Skeet I don't like how Beretta shotguns handle. Perazzi shotguns handle similarly so I would not be buying a Perazzi for Skeet if I won the lottery.

I would buy a second K-80 in a higher grade for sure!

Scott

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm looking into an 85TSS and came across this thread.

Can somebody explain exactly why the DT10 is considered the better gun especially in respect to mechanics such as lockup and triggers? I don't doubt that it is, considering the price difference, but I'd prefer to understand some of the points to look for as far as what makes for a better gun.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Chilly;

You ever look at, handle and inspect either or both the DT-10 and the SKB? If so, I'm certain you would not have asked this question. I wouldn't trade my Beretta 686E for any 2 SKB 85TSSs. Not that the SKB isn't serviceable, but it is NOT a Beretta. The DT-10 is way more gun than the 686Es too. It is not like comparing apples to oranges, more like passion fruit to raisins. Fit, finish, wood, attention to detail, longevity, I could go on and on. I probably wouldn't buy a DT-10 either, well of course not, I have 3 686Es and a couple Winchester 101s and couple Rizzinis etc. I don't need a gun like the DT-10, but the SKB isn't even a close runner. I'd buy a couple 686 or 682, or 687s first. Not knocking the SKB, I just am not fond of them, I guess that is why I have other guns instead?

BP

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
I've only shot one 85TSS, a buddy of mine was given one to shoot for them, and get as many to shoot it as possible. The main complaint heard on the gun was the trigger guard was uncomfortable and not shaped right, they were supposed to change it but I haven't seen another sporter to know.

A couple of guys shoot combo sets in trap at our club, been shooting lights out with them and haven't broken anything yet.

The buddy from above, shot the best scores he had in a year with the SKB in Sporting, and he owns one, but still shoots another gun--------don't know why.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
I have a friend who shoots the Combo SKS Trap gun too. It shoots fine, so does he, but he has had it back to Omaha a couple times too, rib problems, springs, screws, etc. etc. I personally don't like the looks, or feel of them but I have examined them closely several times before I bought something else. Was even mightily tempted a time or two on some closeouts and scratch and dent sale guns at the importer, Guns Unlimited in Omaha. But alas, I've always bought something else. There a lot of folks who love theirs, and will even fight about it if you want to. Probably not a bad buy considering the cost and if you like the looks and feel. I didn't, but that doesn't make them bad nor as "good" as a DT-10. They are far better than a Red Label, I'll grant you that!

BP

ps. That friend also bought a new Beretta 686E Combo just like mine too. I wonder what that means? :?

·
Registered
599 Posts
My shooting buddy (who was a AA skeet competitor in the late 70's-early 80's) owns 3 K80's.

He just recently bought an 85TSS.

He loves the fit, feel and finish of the SKB.

He doesn't shoot his K80's anymore.

I've shot one of his K80's and the 85TSS. I love the SKB feel and balance. It'll be my next aquisition. And to top it all, the price kicks major butt!

Copterdrvr

·
Registered
959 Posts
Burnt Powder said:
Chilly;

You ever look at, handle and inspect either or both the DT-10 and the SKB? If so, I'm certain you would not have asked this question. I wouldn't trade my Beretta 686E for any 2 SKB 85TSSs. Not that the SKB isn't serviceable, but it is NOT a Beretta. The DT-10 is way more gun than the 686Es too. It is not like comparing apples to oranges, more like passion fruit to raisins. Fit, finish, wood, attention to detail, longevity, I could go on and on. I probably wouldn't buy a DT-10 either, well of course not, I have 3 686Es and a couple Winchester 101s and couple Rizzinis etc. I don't need a gun like the DT-10, but the SKB isn't even a close runner. I'd buy a couple 686 or 682, or 687s first. Not knocking the SKB, I just am not fond of them, I guess that is why I have other guns instead?

BP
I have handled both guns. Recently looked the SKB over at a shop, and I've handled a DT10 at a clays course, owned by another shooter who was nice enough to let me take a look at the gun. I did not have them side by side. The difference in grade of the wood on the two was obvious. I guess because these are "competition" guns, I was more concerned with the reliability/durability versus finish and such, which is very much tied to the price of the guns IMO. I'm looking to find out what makes the basic mechanics of Gun A better then the mechanics of Gun B.

Again, I'm in no way implying the DT10 isn't the superior gun, I'd just like to learn what points (mechanical) make for a better gun.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
The Beretta has a pretty long outstanding reputation going for it, the SKB is a bit iffy in the large 12 ga frame. Maybe after a dozen years of use with a record of reliability approaching the DT-10 the SKB too will be regarded as an outstanding classic Competition shotgun. As of yet, it doesn't. Time tells all! It will tell this story too. IF you want to be a guinea pig or if your requirements are not too severe, buy the SKB and tell us how well it did. From every one I've seen the external fit and finish and trigger feel is NOT even in the same league as the DT-10. Neither is my 686s or the 682 I used to have. See3ms like you want someone to blow smoke up your trouser leg about how wonderful the SKB is, like it is just as good as a DT-10 but for 1/3 the money. That just is NOT the case. Call and ask anyone at Guns Unlimited in Omaha. They are the importer of the SKBs. They also sell Berettas, Kreighoff, and only recently dropped the Perazzi lineup. They will tell you that you will get what yo pay for. the SKB is a good shotgun, just NOT a DT-10 by any stretch of the imagination.

BP

·
Registered
959 Posts
Please read the last line of my post, I don't begin to think that the two guns are equal. I'm simply trying to get someone, anyone, to help me to understand what I'd look for in terms of design or materials that would point to one shotgun being more reliable/durable then another. I can easily see that the wood, engraving, fit, finish on a $5k gun is nicer then what appears on a $2200 gun. I don't think many people would argue that the SKB is the "finer" gun, but I'm trying to determine (without waiting 10yrs) if the SKB would be as durable as the DT10.

I'm not at all looking for someone to endorse the SKB, my question isn't really about SKB vs Beretta. I'm just looking for someone to point out facts that I can use to compare guns (any guns), versus simply pointing out the "track record" of a gun, or making a statement without facts supporting that opinion.

I just purchased a Caesar Guerini Summit after comparing it and the 85tss, so obviously I'm not trying to get people to justify the SKB for me. I'd just like to be able to know some things to look at the SKB, or my Caesar for that matter, that would tell me it's a quality design. I don't have any delusions that the Summit is as nice as a DT10, or Kreighoff, etc.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts