Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at the gunshow today. I found and bought a Beretta ES100, 12 gauge, 28 inch barrel camo shotgun.
I know very little about it. Some call it a pintail and they do not make then anymore. It uses inertia system like a Beneli.
So I took it out dove hunting to night.
First I shot winchester 2&3/4 1&1/8 oz 8 shot 1300fps It shot the first 2 round and did not what to load the last round.
Then I shot federal 2&3/4 1&1/8oz 7.5 shot I do not know the fps. This round would fire and load the next round but I had a dead trigger. I would pull the bolt back and I could heir it cock and it would fire but was pretty much a single shot.
So I plan on giving it a good cleaning tomorrow.
Do you think that will fix my problem or did I buy a dud?

The above round are factory round and purchased at wal mart.
My Browning gold and beneli shoots them fine.

·
Registered
13,110 Posts
This model has had many names. ES100 is the most common followed by Pintail and then Vittoria to a much lesser extent. It started life off as the Benelli SL series before it was re-branded under Beretta.

I would tear the gun all the way down for a cleaning and relube. That would include removing the trigger group and flush it out with a solvent. The recoil assembly in the stock should be stripped as well as the magazine assembly. The magazine tube needs to be removed from the receiver for a proper cleaning. If you need more details or help in any way let me know.

Use a good oil like CLP, FP-10, or Militec and lightly lube the gun.

If the loads were Winchester "Universal" shells, stay away from them. There are members here who have had them jam their pumps and stuck in their O/U's.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took it apart and lubed the bolt. It was not dirty. But I do not know how to get the trigger group out or the recoils spring out of the stock.
I do have some clp on hand.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
13,110 Posts
Remove the barrel, forearm, and bolt form the gun. You need to push the pin out of the receiver to remove the trigger group. Remove the recoil pad and then the stock. You will see a threaded plug at the end of the recoil tube. You will need to heat the end of the tube to melt the thread locker. Move the torch around the tube for about 30 seconds. Break it loose while warm and then let it cool before taking the plug out the rest of the way. Put a rag over the plug while you turn it out. The plug is under tension, so be ready to hold onto it. The spring will likely be pretty dirty and the rag will help with the mess. Remove the spring and the follower out of the tube. Clean them and lightly lube the spring. Clean the tube like you would a gun barrel. Clean the threads in the tube and on the plug. Put the receiver in a vise with some padding. Have the magazine tube pointing down. Heat the tube near the receiver to melt the thread locker. Keep the torch moving around the tube for close to a minute. Put a strap wrench around the magazine tube near the very end where the magazine cap threads on. Break the tube loose and then finish by hand. Th whole tube will be under spring pressure so hold on. Clean and re-lube like the recoil assembly. Remove the pin in the bolt body while applying slight pressure against the bolt face. Remove the firing pin & spring, bolt face, and inertia spring. Clean all of these parts and the channels in the bolt body. Lightly lube the firing pin and inertia springs. Lightly lube the shaft of the bolt face. Put a drop or two in each rail in the receiver and let it run towards the back of the gun. Spray down the trigger group with a solvent and then put three to four drops of oil in the group and and around the moving parts and a little on the hammer face. Blow off the excess with an air hose. Now put the gun together and leave the thread locker of the magazine and recoil tubes. It'll make future cleanings much easier.

·
Registered
13,110 Posts
Do not put the torch on the receiver! Just on the magazine tube near the receiver. Once loose, you can place a damp rag on the receiver to help cool it a little faster. You should be fine as long as you don't leave the torch on the tube for to long.

·
Banned
3,014 Posts
It seems the OP's mechanical ability, including the ability to read and interpret the exploded parts diagram in the ES 100 owner's manual, is rather limited.

He's probably better off paying a gunsmith to fix his gun rather than possibly doing more harm than good.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Worc
Thank you very much for your help.
My local store did not have a strap wrench.
I will have to order one only or wait till I get someplace that has one.
I did remove the bolt and lube it. I went out and fired a few test rounds. It worked 100 percent
The gun was very clean but no lube.
thanks again for the help

·
Registered
13,110 Posts
Glad you got it working wendal. I would still work on getting the recoil and magazine assemblies apart for cleaning and re-lube the springs. I like to clean these assemblies at least one a year or after a gun gets really wet. Let me know how it goes or if you need anymore help.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did get the recoil spring out and cleaned and lubed it.
I took it dove hunting the other night. I still have the same problem.
I found a local gunsmith. I took to him tonight and the shotgun did mess up.
He thinks I should try 3 inch shells in it. He also thought it had a lot of rounds thought it.
We talked about the sear and hammer engagement. Maybe a broken pin or seek sear spring.
So my though is send it to beretta.
What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
wendal said:
I emailed Midwest Gun Works, Inc out of Pevely, MO. We'll see what they say.
They are a little closer to me.
Or is it better to straight to beretta?
If you want to see your gun in this lifetime, don't send it to Beretta.
I would send it to Cole's gunsmithing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All
I have this ES100 gun for one year and I am happy with it. I use it for duck hunting on water.
I had same problem with shells jam after shot. Problem solved by selecting 3 inch shells, not magnum or longer 3.5 inches shells.
I use Lee Load ALL and MEC Jr 12 Ga loader. After load I check that shells rims are rounded. If edges are bit square you have shells jam in reciver after first shot.
Also when I load custom shell with flat wad and 24gr powder, shell become smaller. And magazine can handle 5 shells, not 4). (1 in barel, 5 in magazine)

Ready for other questions.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just got my shotgun back for Midwest gun works.
They said it had the wrong hammer in stalled and no sear guide, and the inertia spring was broke.
So $200 later.
I have not had a chance to go shoot it yet.
My gunshow bargain was a learning experience.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.