Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, to all
I bought a ES100 last year for about 900 euro(I am from Greece).
I bought the White model (with nikel) but after a month the nikel became black in some places (especially in the places that i was holding it).
I went back to the store to find out that the warranty di not include this kind of hazard!!
Now after a year i am having a lot of jams!!! I went to the official service hear in Greece for 3 times and he cannot find out the problem!!
I mailed the beretta web support and they never respond to my mail.
I do not know what to do and also i cannot find out the problem of the shotgun.
Beretta ES100 sucks!!!
I wish i had bought a benelli!!!

Please advise me ...

thank you

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
margas said:
I bought the White model (with nikel) but after a month the nikel became black in some places (especially in the places that i was holding it).
I went back to the store to find out that the warranty di not include this kind of hazard!!
I'm afraid I can't help you with the jams, because I have no experience with the ES100 Vittoria. However, I do have experience with the darkening of nickel.

Nickel will tarnish. It doesn't tarnish as easily as silver, but under some circumstances it will tarnish. I have read that a nickel plate that is high in phosphorus is more resistant to tarninshing than nickel that is low in phosphorus. The tarnish can be removed by rubbing with a good metal polish. I have found that "Flitz" brand is the best polish we have in this country - I don't know whether you can get it there. Here, it is sold in some gun stores because handgunners use it to remove brass and lead deposits from the bores. http://www.flitz-polish.com/family.asp?fam_id=ZFMP

Some people have chemicals in their skin that cause metals to tarnish or rust relatively quickly. That condition is sometimes called "rusty fingers" and the people who have it are called "rusters".

Workers in the precision engineering industry who readily corrode metal are known as 'rusters'. We have described two patients with this condition, and review current ideas with regard to its cause, detection, prevention and treatment.
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/ab ... alCode=bjd

I have rusty fingers and I'll bet that you do, too. I have used Beretta O/U's with electroless nickel and didn't have a problem until I had used one a lot over the course of several years, then it began to tarnish in the areas that I touched the most. More recently, I had a gun custom-plated with electroless nickel, and it tarnished so quickly I had to get the nickel stripped off, and I am now in the process of getting it chrome plated.

I'm afraid I don't have a solution to offer you. I have tried spraying the area with clear lacquer to protect it, but that isn't durable enough. Wearing gloves might help, but I don't like gloves. I'm afraid you will continue to have problems.

My only suggestion is to polish the gun until it looks very nice, then trade it in on a gun with some other kind of finish!

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
Welcome to SGW. What kinds of jams are you having? What kind of loads are you having issues with? what kind and how much lube are you using?

Beretta ES100 sucks!!!
I wish i had bought a benelli!!!
Looks like you got your wish as the Beretta Pintail/ES100 is a renamed Benelli SL.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Worc said:
the Beretta Pintail/ES100 is a renamed Benelli SL.
I owned a Benelli SL80 123, from 1985 to 1995, which I believe is the same basic design.

I can honestly say this gun never failed to cycle and load I put through it.

The gun saw a decent volume of shooting for some upland hunting and a fair amount of recreational skeet and sporting clays. This includes a high proportion of low velocity 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz reloads on old, worn "disposable" shells, on skeet and sporting clays, since the gun did not accept a shell catcher.

Ultimately, I did not enjoy shooting the SL80 as much as I thought I would when I bought it and for a number of reasons, I sold it, but it's reliability was not one of the reasons for selling it; it was actually 100% reliable for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the prompt answers!!!

First of all from what i read i am a ruster!!ok i can live with that (althought i do not like gloves either).I will try to avoid nickel.
Also thank you Seamus O'Caiside i will try to find the "Flitz" throught ebay.

Worc thank you for your answer the kind of jams i am having are:
I shoot for the first time the shell is thrown away but the new shell does not come up.I do not think that it is a timing problem because actually the second shell never get released.
(Sorry in case i am not clear enought)

Worc wrote:
the Beretta Pintail/ES100 is a renamed Benelli SL.

Yes it is true but i think there is a difference in the price (about 400 euro more is Benelli).I do not think the difference in price is just about the brand name but more about the quality of the shotgun.
The ES100 Vitoria is constructed in Spain apart from the barrel which comes from Italy.
The Benelli shotguns as far as i know are constructed in Italy.
If this is true they must have difference,although beretta bought Benelli :)

I am thinking of trying to find out in what price i can sell the gun to buy a real Benelli :)

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
I shoot for the first time the shell is thrown away but the new shell does not come up.I do not think that it is a timing problem because actually the second shell never get released.
The second shell is stuck in the magazine tube? If that's the case the trigger group and inside of the magazine tube should be cleaned.

If this is true they must have difference,although beretta bought Benelli

I am thinking of trying to find out in what price i can sell the gun to buy a real Benelli
They are the very same gun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi again,
I do not think that it is just that it is not clean.I use lubricant every time after i return from hunting.
The lubricant is a greek brand.
Also i would like an opinion about a good brand of lubricant.(I just bought "flitz" thanks).
No particular kind of shells are responsible for the jams (it happens from simple shells to semi magnum and magnum shells).
It happens almost 1 time every 20 - 30 shells.
From the official service last month they changed the mechanishm that is responsible for releasing the shell(except from the elater(spring) which use the mechanishm).
Last Saturday i had the first jam after the change(after shooting about 30 shells).
He did not tell me anything about cleaning it.
The shell stays in the tube where i put it first.It never comes up so that it can be fired.
I am sorry but i do not think i can describe the mechanish very clearly.

Also my cousin has a Benelli Rafaelo and the releasing mechanishm is kind different, it has even a button for releasing manually the shell from the tube but the ES100 does not have it .If i have to release the shell from the tube i have to press the mechanishm enought just to release the shell.

I can send pictures in case the mechanishm that i describe is not clear.

thank you

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
Yes, the current Benelli auto loaders have a cartridge release lever on the right side of the trigger gaurd. They both have automatic magazine cutoff's. To unload the Pintail/ES100 magazine you need to press down the carrier and hold it and then push the cartridge stop to the side to release a round from the magazine tube. There are three Pintail/ES100 and three Benelli's owned within my group of buddies so you don't need to post a picture unless you want to.

Just adding lube without cleaning the gun does not make the gun clean. The trigger group controls the releasing of the rounds in the magazine tube. Good lubes in the US are CLP, FP-10, and Militec.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have a es100 and have put several thousand rounds through it. I have had zero problems with it. The are a very simple action and should not be that difficult to fix. I would start with a good cleaning. I usually take compressed air and clean the trigger group. I would think this design should not be that critial about cleanings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The ES100 does not like lubricant. Shoot the gun DRY...no dry lube either...NO oil, especially in cold temps. The bolt action needs to be very sloppy. After use, wipe the outside of the gun down with a very light oil. Only lube when putting away for storage.

Failing this, Beretta has a new recoil spring that fits your gun.

My ES100 is awesome never jammed after I stopped applying oil.

Yiasou Leventi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts