Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
If you spend a lot of time in wet or muddy conditions or if the gun is fired a lot the large spring that runs down through the stock might be to blame. I would recommend a SureCycle kit be installed in it. My local gunsmith says the springs in the stock should be replaced every couple of years.

Good Luck

·
Registered
20,519 Posts
With the Beretta Xtrema, there is no "large spring that runs down through the stock". The recoil spring is around the magazine tube, easily accessible, and easily cleaned. I see no reason to install a "SureCycle kit" or any other modification to the gun. Beretta knows how to design a gun for reliable operation. Read your owner's manual on what shells the gun is designed for. Not all 2 3/4" shells are recommended for the Xtrema. To the best of my recollection, they recommend that the lightest load be 1 1/8 ounce of shot at 3 1/4 Dram Equivalents. I've heard from several Xtrema owners that their gun, after a suitable break-in period, will reliably function with 1 ounce loads, but that may vary from gun to gun. Again, read your owner's manual about cleaning the gun, break-in period, and minimum load for reliable operation.

G

·
dgreaud said:
My Extrema will not eject 2and 3/4 inch shells. It is ticking me off and I am not sure how to solve the problem. Can anyone help me. It shoots 3s great. Thanks
Danny G
I used to work at a large gun shop in my home town and I would frequently talk to the beretta rep when I was trying to choose a new shotgun. He told me to break in the with at least 2 boxes of high power steel shot to set the gas system. I shot 3 boxes of 3 1/2 inch steel the first time I hunted with the gun. My extrema now shoots 1 ounce lead shot through it. I know it may be late for this, but hope this helps someone out.

·
Registered
20,519 Posts
This situation is not unusual at all. It happens every day. I'm not referring to the Beretta Xtrema. I'm referring to gun owners who don't read their owner's manual or who don't use the correct ammunition or who don't assemble or maintain their gun correctly or something like that. Then they get PO'ed at the gun and often call it a POS when actually it was their own fault.

G

·
Ulysses said:
This situation is not unusual at all. It happens every day. I'm not referring to the Beretta Xtrema. I'm referring to gun owners who don't read their owner's manual or who don't use the correct ammunition or who don't assemble or maintain their gun correctly or something like that. Then they get PO'ed at the gun and often call it a POS when actually it was their own fault.
I missed the part where he called the Xtrema a POS...

·
Registered
393 Posts
The Xtrema is one heck of a shotgun. IMHO is is a vast improvement over the other semi-auto designs that are out there.
Mine will fuction flawlessly with the 3.5, 3", all the way down to the 2 3/4 ,1oz loads.

From the owners manual.
Fires everything from the weakest 28gr(1ounce 3 1/4 dram) game load to the heaviest 64gr (2 1/4 ounce) Super Magnum.
Due to precision machined tolerances some wear in may be required before your new gun will function reliably with light 28gram(1ounce 3 1/4 gram game loads.

You have in my opinion, the BEST semi-auto on the market.
Dont give up on it.
Clean it good, and break her in right.

G

·
I pulled my extrema out of the box put on the barrel today, and shot 31/4 dram 7/8 oz lead through it this morning the light dram in 11/8 would not push the bolt all the way back though.

G

·
Shot the extrema at some dove this morning with 1 oz 6 steel she fired perfect. I have not had to fire any big loads through this gun to shoot the small loads. I do believe the powder drams in the load is were the problem accurs. I shot a 11/8 oz load yesturday with a light load of powder and the bolt would not come all the way back. This load I had made for the wife earlier in the year. The same load with my powder charge worked perfect. Going to run some loads through this gun this weekend at the skeet range this should run off any ruff edges if there is any.

G

·
Hello JT,

On page 37 of the xtrema's owners manual it says,

" NOTICE: Due the precision machined tolerances on your beretta shotgun, some wear in my be required before your new gun will function reliably with light 28 gram (1 ounce, 3 1/4 dram equilvalent) game loads. If you experience any inital functioning problems with these one ounce loads, We recommend that you fire three or four boxes of standard field loads to allow for this break-in period"

hope this was a help

JR

G

·
JR, The extrema is a tipical beretta she just works as advertised. My M1 beneli works great also but I did have to send it back once, and also had to do some filing to get it to act right, the safety now acts good and the unloading by hand the mag is better after doing some filing on it also. I love the M1 but the Big Ben is a little over rated, the balance is great if it was not I would have tossed it in the dealers trash can.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The trick with the light loads is 'breaking in the the action'. A few boxes of Winchester Super Sporting Clays (1330 FPS) or Field loads of like FPS couple with cleaning the action/slide rails and lubricating (Rem oil or Tri-lube) usually gets the Xtrema set for lighter 7/8 oz. loads. Out of the box the Xtrema will not cycle the light loads.

I have a few thousand rounds thru both of mine, first few hundred can have a few rounds that do not cycle when you are shooting 1 1/8 oz. or 1 oz. loads. Quick field clean/lubricate aids in solving the problem. You also run across the odd load in every 100 shot that is not 100% to spec. which will not cycle. Complete cleaning of the melted shell plastic and powder residue from the chamber is important.

G

·
M2, My xtrema must be a freak then, the first time I shot it I ran 1390 fps 7.5 7/8 oz loads through it with no problem. Also ran walmart winchestor 11/8 oz loads through it at some clay birds all with no problem. The only loads that did not cycle were the loads with low powder I had made for the wife. I did pattern some 3.5 expert HV's today. They didnt pattern with any choke. The kents did a good job. But if ya look at the experts shot, it dont take to long to figure it out, that stuff is as crooked and bent distorted as you can get and all differant sizes. That **** was flying all over the pattern board.

·
Registered
320 Posts
JT
One of mine required a full action cleaning after two boxes of Win light targets the first time out, I thought I had cleaned the slides in the receiver well first time. After that I was fine. I went over the other one with a brush and rem oil to get the factory crude off, that one never missed a beat.

I noticed the xtrema patterns Optima Plus/boring combo works best with Light Mod Briley extended. Tight choke like the patternmaster distorts wildly with game loads. Tried the patternmaster last duck season with 3.5 hevishot, knocked whatever it hit, but do not like the patterns on the board. Switched to Light Mod .015 for all around.

G

·
M2fun, I went to bass pro this morning before work to get some weights and sling, also looked at the briley chokes didnt see anything for the extrema, I do have a light mod briley for my M1 benelli. I guess I will have to do some research for a light mod for the extrema.

·
Registered
320 Posts
JT
Cabelas and Bass Pros carry a few of the Briley line, you need to go direct for the full listing. If they are not in the brand listing give them a call, they do have them in production.

www.briley.com
Extended Black LM are $39.95

Here is the Briley sizing

Cylinder .000
Skeet .005
Improved Cyl .010
Lite Modified .015 Briley - Duck
Modified .020
Improved Mod .025 Briley - Goose
Lite Full .030
Full .035
Xtra Full .040

G

·
m2fun, I took the xtrema all apart sunday night and the magazine plug broke on me. I called beretta monday morning and the lady took my address and said it was on the way. Beretta has always been that way with me great service. This gun over two weeks I have had it has not given me any trouble at all as far as firing goes. Everything on it works smooth, no running in like my benelli had to be, and after 10,000 rounds is still not as smooth as the xtrema.

G

·
M2 got the Lt Mod choke from briley today, will pattern in the morning hope it helps. I dont think it will make a differance with those 3.5 HV experts I bought, those dudes fly all over.

·
Registered
320 Posts
JT
I patterned field #6 Remingtons and Range #7.5 Winchesters and Super Sporting Clay #7.5 (1330 fps - fast loads). The hevishots are 1500 +/-.

Comparing a Briley Light Full, Modified, Light Modified and Patternmaster extended (real tight). The best pattern was the Light Modified, consistent, no edge flyers/distortion or center hole. A buddy explained the .015 was tested and held the best at short/med/long distances with all loads. So far I agree and use in all my Berettas and Brownings. Over the decoys distance, reaching on the edge, pheasants/chukars/Quail, and trap it is the choke size/manu of choice.

Good Luck

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.