Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out last weekend in the Texas Panhandle doing some Goose hunting. 18 degree weather, snow/sleet. It was about an hour of being out in the weather, before the Geese got up, when I took my first shot my Extrema had a hard time cycling the second shell. I was hunting it using no lube as I knew it would be cold so I don't think it was a lube problem. Any ideas?

G

·
If your gun was taken from a warm vehicle and then to the cold, water vapor could have condensed and subsequently frozen in the action.
In weather below freezing I degrease and use Remington spray-on teflon for a lube for rifles and pump action shotguns. I don't use semi-autos but would think that modern silicone lubricants should supply reliable lubrication to 0 degreesF. The worst is to operate a semi auto with no lubrication as the friction factor is higher than design. -Dick

·
Registered
13,110 Posts
Make sure the gun is clean, including the inside of the magazine tube. Ues a little oil like CLP, FP-10 or Miltec. Put a drop in each rail groove and let it run down it. Lightly lube the outside of the magazine tube where the recoil spring slides on it.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I would use Slip2000
www.slip2000.com

Exceeds current MIL-SPEC-63460D
SLiP2000™ Lubricant has had to go through many testing stages. One of the product guide lines that was followed was MIL SPEC 63460D for the US government. SLiP2000™ Lubricant has passed all test requirements set forth for this spec and infact has exceded many requirements.

Test Preformed ASTM Standard Results Min. Max.
Flash Point COC D92-97 390°F
Auto Ignition D2155 555°F
Pour Pont D97 < -60°F
Viscosity D445 2167 @ -40°C (cSt) 9.0 14

Salt Spray Corrosion B-117 150 hours Pass Pass
Four-Ball Wear Test D4172 0.56 0.8
Falex Pin & V-block D5620 No Seizure 750 lb. 60 sec. 500 sec.

Check out this document and look for their cold stability test.
http://www.slip2000.com/media/updates/AberdeenTest.pdf

·
Registered
18 Posts
I live in the Chicagoland area, and been hunting geese and duck with a my 391, and have no problems. (midwest hunting season, some days your hunting in 20 below zero, with a even colder wind shield), lubing a gun before you hit a field is good, but i think if a gun is clean, and lubed properly, every time, you will not have a problem,. I never have cold weather issues with my guns. (semi-autos, or O/U)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.