Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any knowledge of the Beretta Model 390, automatic shotgun?
This shotgun is being sold in my local Wal-Mart store. I'm familiar with the Model 391, but not the 390. This 390 has a black synthetic stock also, and gas operated.
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
arover2, do a search of the message board...there's plenty of info on them. The 390 is the predecessor to the 391. The 2 guns are based on the same design, but the 391 has a little bit smaller stock and forearm. From the postings, they both are very reliable guns, but the difference is one of those "touchy-feely" :roll: issues that you will read about ad-naseum on this board (sorry, but I just had to get that shot in) :)

Just depends on whether you want to pay the xtra $$ for the newer model.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have shot one since they came out 10 years ago. Mine had wood stocks, but have put synthetic stocks on it. Its a great gun, I have never had it jam, it has never misfired, its been in the dove fields, pheasant fields and the duck blind and I have never had an incling of a problem. You could do alot worse than the 390.

·
Premium Member
19,756 Posts
IMO, the Wal Mart Beretta at about $539 may well be the best buy in new automatic shotguns today. Others may disagree, and that's certainly their right. I'm not bashing any of the other guns. I'm just saying that the 390 is well worth the $539.

If you are familiar with the 391, then the 390 is a simpler and easier to maintain version of the 391 while still doing the same job (shooting 2 3/4" AND 3" shells interchangeably and reliably).

I'll admit that I don't like synthetic stocks, but then again, I don't freeze my tail off in duck blinds either. :shock: I'd rather have a wood stock that has "character" marks on it, than a scratch free butt-ugly :lol: synthetic stock.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you have a Galyan's by you ther WERE selling them for $499.00.
Bill

(got his nose outta joint and missed the deal Bill)

·
Registered
361 Posts
ive seen that gun at walmart several times,
My buddy had one, he told me he took it out several times and with 3' shells it jammed about 4 times
he sent it back to beretta and then sent him a 390 silver mallard, it still jammed on him and he ended up trading it for a Benelli super black eagle.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I recently purchased the 390 from Walmart in 20 gauge for just bird hunting. Prior to my first dove shoot with it a week ago, I probably shot about 12 boxes thru it on skeet/trap without any problems. On my first dove shoot with it, I shot about 4 boxes. Again, absolutely no problems. I love the way the gun points and it is a dream to carry. Actually, I purchased this gun with money to spare from a Benelli M1 20 GAUGE that I sold to a friend. The 390 is clearly one of the best deals out there whether it be new or used. I still own a M1 12 gauge and love it but for 20 gauge, the 390 is clearly better than Benelli. I could not hit anything with my 20 gauge Benelli. It was just too light and whippy. I would recommend the 390 without any hesitations. This says alot coming from a huge Benelli/Remington fan!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Bought a 20 ga Walmart AL390 over Thanksgiving weekend. Have only put a few shells through it, but wanted to pass on a couple of details I haven't seen mentioned here (these may be recent changes in how the gun is being packaged):

1. Came with five choke tubes, rather than the three expected, but...

2. Came without a choke wrench (!) (called Beretta, they said that's how it is being shipped now)

3. The synthetic buttstock has a 1" spacer between the buttstock and the buttplate. The directions don't mention it, but it seems clear that the purpose is to allow you to remove the spacer and get a "youth" length stock. It appears that you could also attach one of the 5" recoil pads and maintain roughly 14.5" LOP. Pretty clever, although not all that good looking, because the spacer is slighly concave -- looks a tiny bit odd. Haven't shot it enough to know yet, but the recoil seems light even compared to our 20 ga 11-87 with a recoil pad, so I'm not sure we're going to put a recoil pad on the AL390.

4. Price marked was $529, but it rang up at $498. Neither I nor the clerk knew whether this was a one-day sale or what, but getting a new-in-box AL390 for less than $500 seems like a real bargain.

I like the look and feel of this gun and look forward to putting it to work and comparing it to the 11-87 20 ga, hopefully this weekend.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I haven't been able to find one at Wal-Mart around DFW. They only seem to have the 12 ga. Was it black plastic or grey. I have seen some in grey plastic at gun shops around here but they are selling for more $$$. Yes, that's what the spacer is for. With a 26" barrel they make a nice youth gun.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Chef, it's kind of charcoal gray -- almost black but not quite.

Mark, the 3901 does seem to be aimed at the same general market, but it looks a little different, mostly in that the receiver is rounded at the rear rather than having the older-style humpback. Does your 3901 have the magazine cut-off?

I'm still surprised about getting five tubes but no wrench...go figger.

This AL390 was a little stiff on the first few shots. I am guessing that it will loosen up after a box or so.

·
Registered
67 Posts
JNewell
My gun does not have the magazine cut-off. Those are only on the AL390 models. I'm a trap shooter and I don't really need it. I got 3 chokes and a choke wrench. FYI, I was hurting after my first 4 rounds of trap so I got the limbsaver prefit recoil pad for the gun from cheaperthandirt.com for $22. I highly recommend it.

Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts