Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a model S 55 Beretta O/U(12 GA.)(NO VENT RIB) in 1967 in Norway of all places. It has full(*) and modified(***) fixed chokes(european I'm sure). It's stamped S 55(NOT S55 B) on the gun.(double triggers) Has a 6 digit serial no. Has only extractors. Beretta's 1964-70 product manual says I can shoot 3 inch shells, as does one gun business. Problem is getting them out. I've yet to shoot 3 inch shells in it.

Anyone know its worth ? Stock is probably 85-90% condition, metal is near mint condition. Has little narrow swivels for a sling on it.

Thanks for the info.

[/b]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just discovered my gun was made in 1966. It is made of high strength chromium molybdenum steel. Guess this permits 3 in. shells to be shot from it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a Beretta S55 in 12GA at a gunshow three of years ago. It is in excellent condition and I paid $400 for it from a guy walking around trying to sell or trade it. I have been frustrated by the lack of information available about this model. From what I have gathered it was a non-import model available in Europe only made in the mid to late 60s. I have also heard that it was the pre silver snipe model. More info about this gun would be gratly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
It has been over 3 years since the last posting to this chain but I have to jump in. I also just bought an old Beretta S55 from the Cabela's gun library and have been trying to find information on this model without success. Have you guys learned anything since this message chain first posted that you could share with me?

[*] To which current Beretta model iwould the S55 this the equivalent?
[*]I was surprised but very pleased to hear that you could shoot 3" shells in it. Is this confirmed?
[*]I'm also wondering if Browning would recommend steel shot as nontoxic shot is a requirement at a lot of places where I live (Chicago, Illinois, USA).
[*]It looks and handles like a field gun but there is a separation between the barrils. Would that mean it was a competition version? But 28" barrels with and Improved Modified and Extra Full chokes - which shooting sport would it be designed for?
* It did not come with a recoil pad. Did they sell them that way or do you think the previous owner took it off? The length of pull is rather short (I will be modifying that).

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Dennis, there are even older threads abt the S55, that have a few tantalising bits:
viewtopic.php?p=60833
viewtopic.php?p=357491

Almost surely your gun is 2¾" - as 70mm was factory spec - and the chokes can't handle steel w/o eventual distortion, but there are good no-tox options available from Kent, among others. Or handloading no-tox is a simple and cost effective option.

Prowling around various European 2nd-hand gun sites, it seems that a few hundred € is 'ask'. I saw prices from €170-500.

Can you post some pics? I'd like to see that Beretta.

GS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts