Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ron,
I am shooting a Beretta 682 Gold E which is experiencing an occasional problem with not setting the trigger for the second shot. In case you are not familiar with this gun it is one of Beretta's new Optima bore guns with the .732 bbl diameter. It was new in December of last year and I saw immediately that it would not digest the one oz loads I prefer until it was broken in-this assumption being based on other's experience with the same gun. I now have around 2,000 shells through it, and while it is much better, it still fails occasionally to set the trigger for the second shot. Since the gun is still under warranty I am not willing to convert the trigger to a mechanical set up-I have already experienced other problems which required sending it back to the factory and do not want to run the risk of losing my warranty coverage. I was actually able to extend the coverage to 3 years. Anyway, I have done EVERYTHING right as far as the loads are concerned, how I hold the gun to my shoulder, etc. My question to you is this...is this gun noted for a long break in period or is Beretta having some problems with this right now? I know of another person who has a new 686 with the mobile choke system (not overbored), and he has had the same problem with even 1 1/8 oz loads. I have not had problems with 1 1/8 oz loads no matter how light. While the stock was off and being replaced I had the factory make sure that the trigger assembly was clean and to ensure that no dust got into it when the new stock was put on. I checked this myself when I got it back and used just a small amount of a lubricant called Trigger Job on the sear engagements. I reailze that this has no effect on the trigger not setting - just wanted you to understand that I have covered all the bases. I am about fed up with this as the failure to set usually occurs at a bad time. What do you think might be wrong? Incidentally, there are no recoil reducers added to the stock, either. The darn thing has just done this from day one.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your problem ,BERETTA put`s out nice Products but every once and awhile a problem child will slip by, I usally only see this in citori`s (sorry s.c. girl).

To shoot the 1oz. loads your inertia block must be reworked!
You can return to the factory(tied up again), or take to a competant smith! if none avilable just e-mail me! but to avoid any out of pocket expense contact the factory!
It is fixable!

RON KONTOWSKY
ACTIONS BY R.A.K.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Its exactly the same issue as with Citoris. I reworked my inertia block myself, which is not hard to do if you know how.

The inertia block is basically a weight that gets swung backwards with the recoil of the first shot, and engages the trigger with the firing mechanism of the second barrel. Any sort of friction with the inertia bloack can cause it to jam up a little or hesitate.

I reworked mine because I shoot 7/8 oz 12Ga custom reloads, and don't get a whole lot of recoil to work with. It now shoots like a dream with the lightest of loads.

A test for "inertia block disorder" as I call it, is simple.

* Load snap caps into the chambers, and close the action
* Pull the trigger for the first round
* Holding the gun facing straight up by its bbls (muzzle safely away from anything or anyone), lift the gun off the
ground about 1/2" or so for 20Ga (about 3/4" or so for 12Ga), then let it drop through your hand, and onto its buttpad. Make sure the gun doesn't fall over, or it'll get scratched!
* You SHOULD hear a little "click" inside the receiver - that
would be your inertia block engaging the second bbl.
* try firing the second barrel - if it doesn't fire, then your inertia block is sticking

This is a pretty safe test for your inertia block mechanism.

Good luck!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Just found this old thread and wonder if you eventually cured the problem? Reason I ask is that my 687 Silver Pigeon 3 had this same trouble from new. Sent it back to Beretta three times to be fixed. Each time it came back apparently working fine but after a while the same problem recurred. It doesn't play up as often as it used to but it is not what I consider to be reliable.
Now my brand new Silver Hawk 20 gauge is exhibiting the same problem. A number of people have told me that it is ME that is the trouble but this morning the gun failed to set the second barrel several times for a friend who was trying it out.
So what is the cause and how do I get it fixed? One thing is for sure this Silver Hawk is the very last Beretta I will ever buy.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Well u hit it right on the head! With lighter loads! With recoil operated triggers the block must be polished and the spring must be replace with a thinner spring of the same length in order to have the lighter loads to set for the second shot!

RON KONTOWSKY
GUNSMITH

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Sorry to read about the problems your 687 reset. I know many people including myself that fire light loads (1oz & 7/8 oz 12G) without a hitch or modification to a 68X series gun. This probably does not help you other than giving you hope that it "should" work as designed. I appreciate the frustration involved. I do know folks with tubes that have had reset problems.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Ron, The problem with my 687 is not due to firing light loads. I have had the second barrel fail to fire (always when firing the top barrel first never when the bottom barrel is fired first) when using 32 gram loads and even ounce and a quarter cartridges.

Following Monday's problem with the new Silver Hawk I have sent the gun away to be checked over and to have the auto safety deactivated - although I am English I can't abide auto safetys. I have got some ounce and an eighth Remington (20 gauge) magnum loads to try and will report back.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Have it changed to the mechanical trigger. I love the one on my 687.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Double triggers rock!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.