Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a second-hand AL391 Urika, supposedly built in 2005. Unfortunately, it did not come with any chokes so I need to buy them. However, I'm very confused. The barrel is marked "OB" and Optima Bore (3" chamber 28" length). Everywhere I read, including directly from Beretta's customer service states that I need to use regular "Optima" Chokes.

However, when looking in the barrel, the choke threads do not start until about an inch from the end of the barrel. This leads be to believe that I need Optima Plus tubes. I even called Cole for advice and they said that my barrel seems to be marked for Optima choke and they didn't know of any AL391 Urikas that use Optima Plus, but they agreed that my thread placement was confusing.

Please advise.
Wood Comfort Audio equipment Publication Book
Publication Book Wood Cylinder Shelf

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Does the serial numbers on the gun and barrel match? Is it a Sporting or field gun?
I believe it is a field gun. The serial numbers on the receiver and barrel do NOT match.

I have already figured that I do not need Optima HP, because I tried the chokes from my 686. My decision is between Optima and Optima Plus. When looking at the threading of a flush Optima choke, there's no way it would work with the barrel threading. The optima choke threads start at the very top of the choke...where the Optima PLUS chokes have that same gap before the threads begin (just like my pictured barrel).
Circuit component Material property Cylinder Electronic component Font
Office supplies Writing implement Handwriting Font Line

·
Registered
361 Posts
I believe it is a field gun. The serial numbers on the receiver and barrel do NOT match.

I have already figured that I do not need Optima HP, because I tried the chokes from my 686. My decision is between Optima and Optima Plus. When looking at the threading of a flush Optima choke, there's no way it would work with the barrel threading. The optima choke threads start at the very top of the choke...where the Optima PLUS chokes have that same gap before the threads begin (just like my pictured barrel).
My factory Beretta Optima flush choke does not look like what you have pictured.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Certain 391 field models came with optima plus chokes. I have owned several.

If the barrel has a narrow rib and doesn’t say sporting it could be optima plus. There was a time when 391s used Mobil. Optima plus, and optima. The optima (with the threads at the end of the barrel) were in sporting (wide rib) models.

Not one of Beretta’s best marketing moves to use the same name for 3 different choke systems.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Certain 391 field models came with optima plus chokes. I have owned several.

If the barrel has a narrow rib and doesn’t say sporting it could be optima plus. There was a time when 391s used Mobil. Optima plus, and optima. The optima (with the threads at the end of the barrel) were in sporting (wide rib) models.

Not one of Beretta’s best marketing moves to use the same name for 3 different choke systems.
The threads for an Optima choke do not go quite to the end of the barrel

Drinkware Wood Drink Cylinder Cup

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Call Beretta and have them look up your serial number.
I actually did and they only saw Optima Bore when researching the serial. The person on the phone was not very informed and just read from documentation (no first-hand knowledge). She said that she sent the info to their gunsmiths for further investigation.

·
Registered
27,000 Posts
I would call Trulock chokes and explain your dilemma and see if they'll let you order one of each to verify what fits and let you return the other (when you'll buy a few more chokes)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts