Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have a Urika 1 Gold Sporting with Mobil. My 682 Gold-E has Optima. Is the word "Optima" the bore diameter? Do Beretta barrels indicate which series of Optima chokes? I do not know. I do know one thing, some of them, with a little effort, will interchange with disastrous consequences.

I was at a local SCTP practice when one of the kids went up to his dad and wanted 200 bucks to buy a team mates super, whupazz, Beretta chokes. Daddy handed the kid 2, $100 bills and the kid bought the chokes. I watched as the kid tried to install the chokes, the chokes met with some resistance when trying to screw them in. Dad, in his infinite wisdom, told the kid that dirt and crud buildup was the issue. Having learned not to question SCTP parents, I said nothing. Dad proceeded to force the chokes down. The kid fired the gun, bye bye barrel.

Upon inspection of one of the parts, it was easy to see that the choke had bottomed out. Forcing the choke down caused, about 1/16" a reverse flare on the choke skirt. Oh well...Lesson learned.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Do Beretta barrels indicate which series of Optima chokes?
Barrels are marked Optima for optima choke, Optima HP for Optima HP, Never seen a optima + . So that one I don't know But it should be.
I do know one thing, some of them, with a little effort, will interchange with disastrous consequences.
I know the treads are the same. This is a bad thing IMO. Gave up telling a guy at my club. He is running optima chokes in an Optima HP barrel. So far no apparent damage.
Optima definition: a condition, degree, amount or compromise that produces the best possible result

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
After looking at the thread placement of the flush Optima chokes, I've decided that there's no way that I should use them. If I screw the flush Optima choke into my barrel, there would still be about an inch of barrel protruding because of the gap between barrel end and threading.

I'm certain at this point that I need the Optima Plus chokes.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I recently purchased a second-hand AL391 Urika, supposedly built in 2005. Unfortunately, it did not come with any chokes so I need to buy them.
Could you not just ask the person that you purchased the gun from? They kept the chokes for a reason. They must expect to use them. Or is something else going on?

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I bought it from a local gun shop. So they would have to reach out to the previous owner. It has to be Optima Plus....thanks everyone for their input!
It may be aftermarket choke threading. It is possible that the barrel was cut and re-threaded. You can try fitting an Optima+ in it, but if you can find a place where you can try different chokes, it might be Invector Plus or something else.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I vote Optima Plus.
So do I. I have two AL391 Urika2s, one sporting and one field , both 28 inch barrels have “OB” stamped on them. The sporting version use Optima chokes. The field version with the narrow rib uses Optima+. Based on your photo and my experience, your barrel is a field version that requires Optima+.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts