Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hand Vision care Camera accessory Eyewear Rim

Hello,

I have an offer to buy a used Beretta 686 E, over/under sporting shotgun. The gun fits me perfect, and I am quite happy how it works for clay shooting.
I noticed this problem on the muzzle where two barrels are joined by brazing or soldering: one triangle of the solder fell off so there is a visible hole. And, on the other side it looks as if the other "triangle" would be knocked out soon.

I don't understand whether the gun was dropped to rocks or something like that, or maybe it indicates some sort of material stress going on there.

My question is: Is this a serious issue?

I find it hard to believe that a quality gun like Berreta would be falling apart ..

Could it be DIY fixed using JD Weld?
Or maybe I should pass, and look for another gun?

Thank you!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Perfect solution...take the gun to a quality 'smith and get his estimate for repair of the muzzle end of the gun.

Return to your friend and offer him a lower price for the gun that accounts for the repair cost quoted by the 'smith...

Take your newly acquired gun (at the lower price) to the 'smith and have him do the repair...

Enjoy shooting your newly repaired gun...!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perfect solution...take the gun to a quality 'smith and get his estimate for repair of the muzzle end of the gun.

Return to your friend and offer him a lower price for the gun that accounts for the repair cost quoted by the 'smith...

Take your newly acquired gun (at the lower price) to the 'smith and have him do the repair...

Enjoy shooting your newly repaired gun...!
I can't take it anywhere yet.. The Clay shooting Club is selling the gun. Only after I get the license for the very gun, I could take it to the gunsmith. Maybe it would be easier in US, but I am in Europe.
But thank you anyway (y)

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
I can't take it anywhere yet.. The Clay shooting Club is selling the gun. Only after I get the license for the very gun, I could take it to the gunsmith. Maybe it would be easier in US, but I am in Europe.
But thank you anyway (y)
Take the pic you posted of the gun to the gunsmith, get an estimate and ask the club to discount the sales price by the repair amount THEN go get it fixed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am actually more interested in whether this is only a cosmetic, or a structural issue?

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Even if it is only cosmetic and not structural, it is an opening whereby moisture can get in between your barrels and ribs which might lead to further issues down the road

Reactions: dmandini

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I had exactly the same problem on a 686E. The gunsmith fixed it with lead solder and it looked better than new. Took less than 30 minutes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am actually more interested in whether this is only a cosmetic, or a structural issue?

I had the same issue on my Chapuis.

It is not a structural problem, but would allow the ingress of moisture if left open.

I was quoted £15 by a Gunsmith, to fix it. I considered it not worth the trouble and expense of sending it to him, so I did it myself, in about 30 minutes. I used soft plumbing solder, and a small gas torch to heat it.

Steve.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I had the same issue corrected on a Beretta 627EL...gunsmith cleaned it up as he choked the gun.

In your case, a gunsmith looking at the gun in hand is the one to offer the best advice...given the gunsmith is competant.

·
Registered
246 Posts
This is NOT a structural issue, and at my club some have simply hammered solder into the gap and others have filled the gap using Epoxy colored by aluminum filing dust. Note, some do re-solder the gap to fill it but you have to be very careful to NOT overheat the barrel and de-solder the mid rib at the end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is NOT a structural issue, and at my club some have simply hammered solder into the gap and others have filled the gap using Epoxy colored by aluminum filing dust. Note, some do re-solder the gap to fill it but you have to be very careful to NOT overheat the barrel and de-solder the mid rib at the end.
Yes, I've been hoping it wasn't the structural issue. I was thinking to use JB Weld epoxy for cosmetic purpose and to prevent moisture entering between barrels. I just saw a review of another Beretta and it is clearly visible a slightly different color of material filling those triangle gaps. Probably solder alloy, originally from factory. It wouldn't be solder if it was to withstand some stronger forces there. Thanks!
I will also ask in the Club if they could fix it. I think they have gunsmith at disposal.

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
I had the similar "problem" on a SXS. A couple of minutes with 60/40 solder and a soldering gun and he problem was gone forever. (And yes, it still is gone!)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Purely cosmetic. I have two O/Us of the same model. One is soldered shut and the other is open. I never encountered any issues with the open one. It is easily cleaned out with some WD40 and the tube. If this is a hunting gun that will see some time in a wet marsh or in the rain, then it might be a good idea to close it up but you can do it yourself. I cannot see a smith in Italy charging you more than EUR 10-20 in case you don't want to do it yourself. I take my guns to Italy to be worked on because they do great work for 1/2 the price here in Germany

·
Registered
741 Posts
Even if it is only cosmetic and not structural, it is an opening whereby moisture can get in between your barrels and ribs which might lead to further issues down the road
Good point for a solid ribbed gun. Has anyone had moisture issues with a ventilated rib between the barrels?

·
Registered
450 Posts
FWIW I have the same problem on a SKB 85TSS barrel. Its been that way for about 10 years with no signs of getting worse. One of these days -------!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you have a gunsmith fill the void make sure he is familiar with shotgun ribs. If he gets it to hot and the side ribs delaminate it will become a much bigger problem. Here is an old SKB side-by-side. The JB weld has been in there over 20 years.

Glasses Hand Vision care Sunglasses Eyewear

1 - 20 of 21 Posts