Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the differences are between a Beretta Mod. 302 and a 303? Besides one digit in the model number. What changes were made between the two models?.......Jack

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Well, I'll make an attempt.

I have a model A302. The changable chokes are "drop in" and are held in place by an "external" threaded device. The magazine cutoff is on the side, below the bolt, in front of the trigger guard.

The A303 with changable chokes are screw in. The magazine cutoff became an option and is located in the bottom of the forearm.

Those are the only two that I know of.

Need an owners manual?

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Just a few refinements.... Berettas are engineered to be obsolete after a few years, pushing you into the purchase of their latest models. 303 parts don't work on 302s or 301s. 391 stuff doesn't work on 390s. Fairly soon there will be a new model pushing the 391 and their owners along to yet another Beretta purchase.

WHEREAS..... that ain't a problem with an 1100.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys. Conman, Thanks, but I don't need a manual, I did find one of them, BUT do you know where to find any of the "drop in" chokes? I have an IC and a Mod. and would love to find a full and a skeet. I got this gun for my wife and she really does like it, mainly because it is so light. I haven't shot it all that much but it seems like a fairly nice little gun. By the way it is a 20ga. Thanks again......Jack

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
bridgeburner, what you say about 1100s is true, but Beretta is making a lot of money and Remington is struggling. Also, I have and have had 1100s in the past, and there are some improvements in the gun that Remington should consider after having it on the market for 40 years. All of my 1100s required a lot more cleaning than any of the Beretta 3xx series guns, and a lot of my 1100s suffered from parts that are staked in the receiver coming loose. The 1100 still does not offer adjustable stocks (as far as I can tell). And both the Beretta and 1100 feel good when shooting, although the 1100 is a little nose heavy for me. I don't often see a 1100 on a sporting clays course, so I would say that shooters are choosing Beretta 3xx for a reason, and frequent changes and tweakings does not seem to stop them from buying Beretta. Remington also went through frequent gun changes prior to the 1100 era. Parts are just as easy to get for Beretta's as they are for the 1100.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Nikkoshooter,

I got my chokes made by Trulock, a sponsor here on this site. Just click on the button at the top of the page. Or you can always call them. No problems, reasonable prices, fast service.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
albanygun,

I understand the good points and bad points of both guns. I've own both and agree with the quality points you speak of. Most shooters don't mind the extra couple on minutes to clean an 1100 and most don't experience staked in parts coming loose... I certainly don't. Most shooters, especially skeet shooters, LIKE the forward weight of the 1100. Most shooters agree that the 1100 recoils less than a Beretta.

What I don't like is the fact that Beretta changes their design in order to force you to buy a new gun. Sure, parts are available for 391s and maybe for 390s, but not so available for the older guns and THAT is by design. If I do need a part for my mid '60s 1100 I can buy one. If I want an extra bbl for it, I can buy one.

You may not see 1100s on sporting courses, but you don't see too many 390/391s on trap & skeet fields as compared to 1100s. On trap & skeet fields, the guns take a LOT more pounding.

You are correct about Remington changing some models in the past, but that was during the era when autoloaders were being refined to the point of reliability. Once that was reached, the 1100 hasn't changed other than a variety of configurations over the years. Beretta wasn't even in the autoloader game when the 1100 was developed. Now that autoloader reliability has been reached, you need to buy a new gun every five years if you want to shoot Berettas.

Bottom line.... shoot want you want to shoot.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
I looked for a semi auto after years with my 870. Tried all sorts of autos, starting with the 1187 & 1100's.
To short, didn't feel right. My hunting pardner bought a Browning Gold.
I loved it and was about to lay down the money for one
when I tried a Beretta 391. Fit like a glove and swung like a dance pardner.
I didn't know what was popular on the range, nor did I care, as I had not shot clays except for the back yard.
As long as I can get parts I will shoot my 391. I am not always into "what is popular"
I like revolvers & 1911's too :wink:

Besides: With my hunting pardner, it makes good gun talk, "B vs B"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.