Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1993 Beretta S686 that I would like to share some info with anyone that is interested.

Beretta says that their Model # is S686L505T3.

It has the narrow frame receiver at 1.535".

Weight is 7lb. 3oz.

The rib narrows from 12.8 mm at the muzzle to 8mm at the receiver. Strada rib maybe?

Matt blue barrels. Barrel is marked - 12Ga. 3" magnum-28"

Mobil Choked.

A Micro core FIELD butt pad fits perfectly.

Marked " SPORT" on bottom of trigger guard.

As far as I can tell, this model became the Silver Pigeon the following year.

Just FYI.

S&G

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm confused. I'd read that the changeover year from wide frames to narrow frames was 1999. I have two Beretta 682s made in the mid 90s and both have wide frames. Does anyone have solid information on the changeover? Was it different between 682s and 686s? I also read that the 686 was released in 1994. -Ed

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 36th Edition Blue Book says that the "Model 686 Special Sporting was manufactured from 1987-1992. 12Ga. only, 3" chambers, deluxe checkered walnut stock and forearm with over-field dimensions. 28 or 30 (new 1991) in. barrels only, Mobil chokes standard.

Model designation engraved in front of trigger guard is" Model S686 Special".

Above 12Ga. 3" magnum-28" on the barrel is the word "Sporting".

All of this matches mine except the 1993 date.

SG

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I've always liked those particular model and era Berettas. 28 inch barrels were actually common and possibly more popular than 30 inch back then when Sporting Clays was not yet as popular as it is today. 32 inch barrels were rare.

Boy how times change. There is no denying however, that the engraving on those earlier models is much nicer than the current Silver Pigeons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an even earlier 686 Special:
12 ga 30" barrels 3" chamber
Date code AM = 1984 date of manufacturer
Imported by the Berben Corporation of NY, NY
Mobil chokes; no idea if OEM
6mm rib, no mid-bead
Original weight was 7lb 4.5oz
A micro-core field pad does NOT fit; the stock is 1/16th proud on the sides towards the bottom, unfortunately.

The trigger guard displays a L which based on some Beretta documentation I've seen stands for Lusso, which is Italian for Luxury. Not sure what exactly that represents, as the figure in the buttstock would look better on a Mossberg 500. The rest of the gun is very nice, with rose & scroll engraving.

I found it on the used gun rack at a local Cabelas, for $750 about a decade ago. Had come in that day; older guy was moving into a retirement apartment and was cleaning out his closet and found a gun he forgot he owned. Apparently he had brought in the flat of shells he had bought with the gun at the time. 4 boxes were missing and that's all he said he ever used. Gun locked up like new when I bought it. I've got a few thousand rounds through it now as it's my primary clays gun. Still running strong.

Wood Bicycle part Material property Nickel Electric blue

Air gun Shotgun Material property Trigger Font

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a 1994 12 gauge model S686 Special, mine is also 28” and look very similar to the pictures post above. No mid bead, wide rib, flat black barrels, 2-3/4 or 3” (shot ducks with it this past winter), Mobile chokes. The only difference is under the trigger guard mine doesn’t say sporting, it instead has the Beretta logo.

when I look up the serial number it says it’s a S686L505T3. It’s a great gun, never has any issues.
Trigger Air gun Bicycle part Everyday carry Shotgun

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Material property Cylinder Muffler

Wood Material property Machine Metal Auto part

·
Registered
575 Posts
Do these guns feature Mechanical Triggers? A guy I shoot with has a 1991 vintage 686 that features a Mechanical Trigger, 28 inch matte barrel, and a Sporting stock with roughly 3/4 to 1 inch of cast on and a palm swell. It also features a stock with a butt pad that fits a modern 686 Sporting stock. BTW, I have a NOS 682 Gold E Adjustable stock on my 2018 686 Sporting that matches the cast, palm swell, and pad length of the stock on the 686 in question. Have no clue as to when my stock was made but do know that it was hand checkered when I received it from MGW and the wood is EELL quality.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts