Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Benchrest the shotgun and shoot a target at 25 yards with a full choke. Shoot it like a rifle on a bench. You might have a fit/mounting issue rather than a gun issue. You could also be pulling the gun down when firing and not realize it. Next step would be find another extrema and swap barrels and chokes. Eliminate the human factor first. Make sure everything is properly assembled and tight, extra attention to the stock and forearm.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Search posts on poi and poa with shotguns. The comb height of a shotgun in combination with your facial features and gun mount all act together like the rear sight of a rifle.

For me- all guns shoot lower than what they "should". A field gun shoots below 50/50. Sporting guns shoot flat, and trap guns only shoot slightly high... So I have to raise the combs on all of them to get them shooting in the "right" place... Which as long as I know where it's shooting I can adjust.

Use some cardboard and tape- add a couple pieces, raise it to your cheek (not bench tested) and then shoot a target from close range with a full choke. The shot should go just above the bead to be a flat shooting gun. Keep adding cardboard until it shoots flat.

There are lots of comb raising products. Beretta makes a stick on pad, my favorite is from Beartooth products and comes with different heights you can add in. Then there's always adjustable combs!

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
You need to make sure you have a consistent and proper mount before making any modifications. If the gun is good to go on the bench with POI then you go to the next step. It's a process of elimination. Stock modifications may be needed, but that's a last step.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.