Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellows,

I've recently acquired a s686 Essential 12ga (Mobil choke system) in wood, very good condition. And I love that it is not Optima HP choke which is swelling prone.
But I need to increase LOP for this shotgun by 0.5".
I'm looking at options at our stoegercanada.ca and kinda doubtful which spacer to get. I've sent them a msg through their web form 2 days ago, but I do not see any answer so far. I also was trying to phone them but keep hitting only voice mail, left a message again, etc. It is disappointing to say the least...
So the online choices are as follows:
Beretta Stock Spacer Field .5″ Short – A400/Xtrema 2 with screws. Product ID: C61866
Beretta Stock Spacer – Field .5″ – Short Xtrema 2/Urika. Product ID: C5C675
-- these two have x2 screws included. I think I do need those longer screws to replace the old ones in order to accommodate the spacer.
The 3rd choice is:
Beretta Stock Spacer – Field .5″ Product ID: C5E615
- this one has no screws. This is the least desired option. Yet, if it is the only option, then OK, I can go for it. Then I will have to find those screws, or buy them separately.

Out of my personal experience I know that the a400 spacer also fits my a390. That spacer was included into the a400 kit and now it lives permanently on my a390.
So this fact makes me guessing that maybe the same spacer ( Product ID: C61866 ) would be also good for the "s686 Essential" shotgun? Am I wrong?
I do not want to disassemble the a390 stock in order to check if the a400 spacer can fit my newly acquired s686.

Please tip me if anyone of you knows right answer.
Thank you!

· Registered
183 Posts
2 size spacers offered by Beretta. Field stocks and skeet/sporting/trap stocks. If you have a field stock, buy the 1/2” spacer field stock spacer. The screws you can buy at your local hardware store if need be. Good luck and good shooting, Rey

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK,
the right answer is:
Beretta Stock Spacer Field .5″ Short – A400/Xtrema 2 with screws. Product ID: C61866
I tested it.
This spacer fits at least three 12ga shotguns:
  • Beretta a400 Xtreme Unico
  • Beretta a390
  • Beretta s686 Essential

Hope this can be helpful for someone.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More information please.
In my a400 (12ga 3.5" chamber) I used to shoot 3.5" steel shots #2, 1 and BB through M choke tube - which got swollen. Now it gets in/out with resistance and I can observe friction spots on the outside walls of that tube. First it happened to the included Beretta flush choke tube M. Then I've bought another one from Jebs - same story. I returned the choke, so they sent me another one - I've sold that brand new replacement choke even not using it. Jebs High Voltage chokes are way too much constriction for steel shot anyways. I will tell more about it below. Then I bough a Trulock Super Waterfowl extended - same story. This one is x3 times price of a regular Trulock choke i.e. Precision Hunter. Then I've also sent that choke back to Trulock and asked them to send me three regular ones (Precision Hunter) of varying constriction. So they were kind enough to fulfill my request. After this I've done some research on the Internet and it appeared to be a known problem for Optima HP choke system. So at the end it looks like Beretta has failed in the "strength of materials" area while designing this choke system. As a result Optima HP choke tubes have long thin walls which get swollen when following conditions coincide:
  • Steel shot from #2 and up (2, 1, BB, BBB, etc) and 3.5"
  • Choke tube of "Modified" constriction or tighter

Some 3rd party companies try to address this issue,
i.e. Carlson making choke tubes of Carpenter 455 stainless steel (for 12 ga only)

As it goes for steel shot, I personally decided to limit myself to 2-3/4 and 3" shot. And the tightest choke tube which I use for it is "M". But I use the M only in combination with #2 or smaller steel shot. Whenever I want to shoot BB, I use IC or SK. The "SK" choke tube is already working very well for decoying ducks. So, no swelling anymore. And I was able to achieve 82% pellets in 30" circle at 40 yds using #2 steel shot and M choke tube (Trulock). If curious, you can check this my page Patterning my choke tubes

And by the way some my tests show that steel shot which made it through IC choke hits in average 10...15% harder than the one which is through M or anything of tighter constriction. Essentially, the bigger diameter of steel shot, the more energy it loses for friction while being pushed through a choke. So, for BB shot I never go tighter than IC choke.
Here are some results of my test shooting at a cedar wood panel using #2 1-1/8 1550fps steel shot at 40 yds.
Each time I measured depth of 50 to 60 pellet holes, summarized results then divided by the number of measured holes to find the average depth:
M choke tube (Trulock Precision Hunter) = 6.42 mm
Jebs High Woltage .695" ported: = 5.85 mm
Trulock Super Waterfowl F#2 .693" non-ported: = 5.63 mm

So , no wonder I sold or replaced Jebs and Super Waterfowl after all of this.

p.s. Those who use lead shot only (clay pigeons shooters) most probably won't ever see this issue.

· Registered
2,146 Posts
I certainly haven't had a single issue with any Beretta Optima HP choke I've ever owned, but I just shoot clays with 7.5 lead shot at 1250 fps.

Your blanket statement about the choke being swelling prone is what caught my attention.

· Registered
28,068 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts