Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been searching around for a Beretta SxS. Can anyone comment on desirability/merits of the 470 vs. 471? Prices on Gunbroker and Gunsamerica seem to bear no relationship to published Blue Book values.

Also, any info on the 626 SxS?

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

·
Registered
293 Posts
For the price I would look for a nice condition 626. If you will be using heavy loads I would recomend a 626 Onyx with 3 in. chambers. They are discontinued but available. If 2 3/4 in. shells are enough then a 424 or an older 409 model would be fine.(IMHO) I have not been a fan of the newer Berettas so I am short on user knowledge.
Best,
Ron

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Ron.

I agree with you. The older Berettas have a certain finer quality, fit, and finish. My BL guns are much nicer than current production, but I cannot speak for the megabucks guns.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just bought a 471 last month and I'm very happy with it. I believe the 470 was made to celebrate an aniversery and the 471 is a similar version of it. I know nothing of the older models.

I use mine to hunt Upland and shoot it in Skeet and 5 Stand. The changable choke tubes are an advantage for me. I have no regreats and would buy it again (and I paid near retail for mine).

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought a 471 a few months ago and used in on our opener on the pheasant hunt last Saturday. It is in a 20 and shot real nice. The only reason I bought it was because I thought it was unique being that it had double triggers. I don't ever remember seeing a 471 with double triggers and straight grip.....

Mac

·
Registered
76 Posts
I recently picked up a circa 1984 626E in very good shape and really like the fit and finish on the gun. Most of the 626E's I have seen are selling for 1500-1800 depending on gauge. Mine has 26" barrels with IC/M barrels. They are very similar with the 470/471 series except it was more common back then to have fixed chokes. If fixed chokes are not an issue for you, you might find a good used one with lots of life in it.

Speaking of double trigger straight stock 471, I have only seen two. One was at the Beretta Gallery store in Dallas, TX and a dealer in Kentucky. The rest I have seen are sst and pistol grip. Everyone tells me not many were produced.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was told the 471 I bought was a gallery gun. It has a finished wood butt plate like many gallary guns I have seen. I also bought it out of Texas, not from a beretta gallery though. It definetly has much better wood than any other 471 I have seen but I would not call it fantastic by any means.

Mac

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
The main difference I can see (I own both the 470 and a 471) is the screw in chokes in the 471 and the 470 has cast off and the 471 does not. I have seen a 470 with cast off with screw-ins, but most 470 are fixed.

I prefer to shoot and carry my 470 with the fixed chokes, but the screw-ins give me some flexability that the fixed chokes do not.

There is some supposed refinement in the mechanism of the safety for the 470 to 471, but in function and feel I can't tell the difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.