Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a Beretta Ultralight, but have not been able to find any reviews on the shotgun. Does anyone own one or had a chance to shoot one? Any good articles? Thanks!

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought one slightly used about 4-5 years ago. I shoot a lot of sporting clays, and I get the Ultralight out about a month before hunting season starts, to get used to it. I seem to be a little less sensitive to recoil than some, and I hqave shot 200 rounds through it on some days. You cannot outrun Newtons laws. It is a field gun. It weighs under 6 pounds. It kicks if you shoot heavy loads. I started using a 7/8 ounce load at 1200 fps for sporting clays, which doesn't kick much, and it breaks birds so well, I now use it for 90% of my shooting at clays with my 686. I think the Beretta over unders are about the nearest thing to the perfect shotgun built. They require little maintenance, and you can bet your life that when you pull the trigger, they will go bang. I have used up to 11/4oz. 33/4 dram field loads in it for hunting pheasants. Just firing a few shots at game, I didn't notice the recoil, but I shudder to think what the recoil would be with 11/2 oz, Nitro mags! SMartly Beretta puts only a 23/4" chamber on the Ultralights. If you are going to use it to hunt, and just occasionally some target shooting, it will be great. If you want to pound clays by the hundreds, get a heavier gun. To hunt, you carry the gun a lot, and shoot a little. If you shoot targets, you shoot a lot, and carry a little

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have one, it is awesomely balanced, feels like a feather and shoots like a dream!!!!!!!!! Got mine this spring.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I know this thread started a while back but I wanted to bring it back to life and see if there others out there who can tell me anything about this gun.

I own a beretta O/U target gun with 30 inch tubes that Im happy with. I know want the same gun but suited more for long days in the field.

Im considering the silver pigeon II , the white onyx and the ultra lite ....all in 12 gauge. The gun will be mostly used on quail and pheseants over pointing dogs. Some grouse and woodcock.

My only concern is how the ultra lite handles heavier loads.....

any info would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
224 Posts
It handles heavy loads just fine. I have shot 1-1/4, 3 dram shells for a round of 50 clays and wasn't sore afterwards. I am recoil sensitive but I guess the gun fits me like a glove because I don't notice recoil at all with it.

If you walk the field for pheasants or logging roads for grouse, this is the only gun to own.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I recently bougt the Beretta 686 white onyx. I searched around quite a bit, and shot several guns before making my decision...and what a great decision it was. I have shot no other gun that is quite like the 686. I guess the old saying does apply you get what you pay for! I use it for ducks, geese, small game & skeet/trap and it fits like a baby! Highly recommended especially if you are going to be using heavier loads.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:roll: Hi

I am searching round for a good gun that I can shoot clays and a bit of game but mostly want it for clays.I don't want a heavy gun either (about 7lb)
I have heard that the white onyx and silver pigeon were the ones to go for, so which is better?

Richard

·
Registered
224 Posts
Silver pigeon is nicer to look at but both are quality guns.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To answer Mark's question, it handles heavy loads well. I hunt ducks in the morning, and get out of the blind to jump pheasants when the flights slow down. I want a light gun, 6lbs, but a 12 over a 20 gauge because we get the occasional goose to the decoys. My factory loads are 1 3/8oz Bismuth #2, 1 oz Fed Tung/Fe BBs, and Win 1 1/8 oz #2 steel. Not that these loads are all that heavy.

Over this season and last, I put a combined case of above loads, and 3 case of Winchester promo 'HiSpeed' target loads through it. It came to me used, and the action was stiff on opening. It opens smoothly now, locks tight, with no sign of abnormal wear. Only problem came from closing the action on a piece of sand; it gouged the aluminum and TI recoil plate superfically. That'll teach me to hunt September doves.

The real fun comes this year because I shot only this gun during Spring and Summer practice. No matter what gun you shoot, birds come down smartly when you put them in the pattern.
RandyS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is a subject that is near and dear to my heart.

I have two Ultralights (one of them is for sale). I used them almost exclusively for sporting clays for several years. I shoot over 20,000 targets per year. I always use 1 1/8 oz light (2 3/4 dram) shells, and I have shot as many as 275 in half a day. I have KickEez pads on them, but no other recoil control device.

MY ULTRALIGHTS DO NOT KICK!

That said, I must admit that when other people have tried my gun, they say it kicks the snot out of them. An Ultralight is probably too light for most shooters. But my point is that recoil is a personal thing, and it is impossible for anybody to tell you whether a light gun will kick you or not. You will never know until you try it.

The Ultralight is not built to take the heavy use that I give it. I have to send one of my guns off to Cole every year to get it overhauled. That's why I have two of them. The rebuilding only costs $100-$150, and Cole gets it back to me in a couple of weeks.

The first time I sent one of my guns to Cole, he called me and said he had never seen an Ultralight with that much wear. Most Ultralight owners use them only for hunting, and shoot only as many shells in a year as I do in a day, so they never wear their guns out.

Is the light weight a handicap at sporting clays? Well, for some people maybe. But after I languished in D class for years shooting a Ruger Red Label and a Beretta 686, the Ultralight brought me all the way to Master class. (But I am back in AA now.)

I have a friend who shoots a Krieghoff that must weigh 47 pounds, and (to use Bruce Buck's expressions) feels like you are trying to mount and shoot a railroad tie, and swings like a pig on the end of a snow shovel. Yet he recently had one of those spring-loaded stocks installed to control recoil! He is younger than me and probably stronger and more physically fit than I am. It is just a personal thing, with no explanation that I know of.

The bottom line is this: An Ultralight might kick you too much. But it might not.

The reason one of my Ultralights is for sale is that I switched to a Rizzini. It is not as light as the UL, but still not a heavy gun. I like the Rizzini, but I still prefer very light guns.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Mr Cassada - I am considering the Beretta UL vs the Rizzini Alloy frame O/U; I wanted to know what you thought of your Rizzini (which?) in further detail and how much you were looking to get for the Beretta. If you want to respond privately, email me at [email protected].

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Doc, I am asking $800, and that is firm.

I'm beginning to have second thoughts about that price, but I will stick with it for now. I also had a Beretta 686 that I was asking $800 for and couldn't sell it locally for a year and a half. The other day I bought an SX1 from a local shop and asked if he would take the 686 in trade, with the difference payed in store credit. I figured I might not go through with it because he probably wouldn't give me anywhere near the $800 I was asking. Doggone if he didn't give me $850!!!!!

If you are interested e-mail me at [email protected] and I will take some photos and post them where you can access them on the internet.

I have the Sig Rizzini TT-25 Aurora 30" 12 ga. I like it, but if I was in the market for a Rizzini now, I would look for one from Rizzini USA.

A while back I talked to Rich Cole at Cole gunsmithing http://www.colegun.com/ and Rizzini USA http://www.rizziniusa.com about light guns. He said that aluminum alloy receivers are not as stiff as steel, and when the gun is shot the receiver will flex, causing wear to the locking parts, even though those parts are steel. He said the alloy frame Rizzini would be the same way. Those guns just aren't designed to shoot 20,000 shells per year, but they do fine in a hunting situation.

I haven't seen the alloy-frame Rizzini, so I can't compare it to the UL. I like Rizzinis and Berettas both, so I guess it is a matter of personal preference. I switched from Beretta to Rizzini for several reasons. For one thing, every time I picked up somebody else's Rizzini, I said "Gee, something about this gun just feels good!" For another thing, I was getting tired of haveing to get Cole to rebuild the UL every 20,000 shots, even though that doesn't cost much. Also, I was in a major shooting slump, and I knew a new gun wasn't the answer, but I just had to try it anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i've had an ultralight deluxe for about 3 years. it's main use is rough shooting but i also use it for driven days, ducking and claying. it's a great mix, especially when you've got to hold it for long periods of time.

takes a bit of getting used to the absence of weight in the barrels. can swap between the beretta and a s-b-s as the weight is similar.

i've only managed to convert one other shooter to this gun and he loves it. you don't see many about for some reason.

pete shore.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've owned my Ultralight for about 4 years now. It is by far the best wing gun I've ever owned! Great for Dove & Quail. Very light to carry, but has a bit of a kick. I shoot #6 1.8oz load through it and it is awesome. I would not recommend shooting anything heavier through it them #6 shot. I use a Winchester 1300 pump with a 22" barrel for Turkey hunting and change/swap to a 28" barrel for shooting Duck & Geese. Beretta is the best O/U I've ever shot! I think you will agree!

David Gronberg
Austin, Texas

·
Registered
433 Posts
I bought the ultra light this year for upland hunting. I shot max loads @ pheasants and had no problems w/ the recoil. The main thing is I can carry it all day long and not be uncomfortable in the shoulder or arms. It weighs in at 5#-9 oz. which is lighter than my 20, 28, and 410 gauge guns. I shoot well with it. It is fast as lightning on mount and target acquisition. I wish I'd bought it 10 years ago. I doubt my Silver Pigeon II will see anything but the clays range from now on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anonymous said:
I'm considering buying a Beretta Ultralight, but have not been able to find any reviews on the shotgun. Does anyone own one or had a chance to shoot one? Any good articles? Thanks!

Mark
I have owned and shot a Beretta Ultralight Deluxe for around a year. This is a great gun. Though a game gun, I shoot all kinds of trap with this gun regularly and well. I put about 300 rounds a week through it, week in, week out. Nary a problem. It kicked a bit, straight out of the box, so I used 24 gram cartridges until I had the stock properly fitted for me and a kickeez pad fitted. I can now shoot it all day with 28 gram loads without fear of flinch. Comes with nice wood too, if that floats your boat.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The ultralight carries like a feather. If you've carried an A-5 12 ga. mag. for 6-9 hours you will love the ultralight. I hunt all upland birds with it, just adjusting the shot size and powder load for the situation. I find more recoil problems with light loads on doves than w/ max loads on pheasants. I think its because I shoot a lot from a sitting position on doves and the shots are often almost straight up and the collar bone gets involved. Its great on flushing birds as quick as can be on the target.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts