Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This gun looks to be exactly what i want. I'd like opinions on it regarding any and all aspects of this gun. Also, whats the cheapest price you've seen on it?Thanks,-Dale

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't want to talk you out of it... the gun looks sweet... but I have talked to two separate guys at my gun club who have purchased the Whitewing and sold it within weeks. There only complaint was that the very light weight made the recoil unbearable. It would not be a problem for hunting... only clay sports where you shoot 200-300 rounds a weekend.Brian in MA

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, doesn't much matter anyway because i bought another gun. a verona, which is a copy of a beretta onyx. as far as the whitewing, the only thing that bothers me about it is the seperated barrels. i really hate that look. and as for the recoil, the gun i bought is pretty light too, but amost all i'll be using it for is hunting, and around here the hunting isn't good enough to cause a sore shoulder unfortunatly.-dale

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dale,Did you get the gun yet. What is your candid opinion on quality. Was it a 12 or a 20? A field Hunter (LX-501) or other model?I have a local dealer that will sell the LX501-20 with 28" barrel for $695. Very tempting... he has offered to order it and allow me right of refusal if I am not satisfied. He is very high on the brand.Brian in MA

·
Registered
21 Posts
Brian,No, i haven't picked it up, and can't till the middle of next week. even then i don't know what i can tell you till i shoot it. but i've been posting about the verona elsewhere and have gotten some real good responce about them. heres a copy of a post from another forum that is about as good a recommendation for veronas as i can imaginge....>>>As I have reported in the past, Nellis AFB Gun Club has four of these(sporting)models as rental guns. We have had them for over three years. We had a problem with one, wouldn't fire the second barrel, sent it to BC Outdoors (PMC), they cleaned it and returned it and it has worked fine since. I do not know how many rounds have gone through these four guns but it is in the tens of thousands. We have sold several, including a really nice 20/28 two barrel set. Have had no complaints so far. Good luck with yours. Fred Amerson<<<you gotta fugure that a rental gun must get 50-100 times the use as a gun owned and shot by a single owner. even at ten time the use, the guns would have the equivelent of 30 years of use each !!! and being they have 4 of them, it's obviously not a fluke. i also have had other very positive remarks about them, but this one is the topper. can't imagine a better way to determine how good they are besides shooting one for a 1/2 a lifetime!!! if all this is any indication i will be one happy hunter. i love the way the gun looks and feels too. it's the poor man's beretta onyx. *S*-Dale

·
Registered
21 Posts
oh, i forgot..........it's a 12. and by the way, they are NOT chambered for 3-1/2's. just 3".and i also forgot to address the porting thought in the last post........i don't need that. i'll only be shooting occasionally, and i'm not bothered by recoil because i never shoot more than a box or 2 at a time. usually no more than a box.besides, i'd never want holes drilled in a gun...just don't like the idea. thanks 4 the thought tho.-Dale

·
Registered
21 Posts
damn !!!! i keep forgetting to address certain questions.........sorry. anyway, the model i'm not sure of. but the veronas on the pmc ammo site don't look at all like the one i bought. i don't know why........maybe these are new models and they just haven't updated the site yet. who knows. but they don't look similar. as i said, it looks almost identical to the beretta onyx.-Dale

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dale,Thanks for all the info on Verona. I will be talking to the local MA Verona distrinutor rep today and I will try to sort out this mismatch between the website and what's for sale in your area.The website LX501 Hunter looks quite plain in the wood dept. I would be happy if it were a little better. Does the gun you ordered have a blued receiver or something else. How many chokes? How is it different than the website picture?Thanks Brian in MA

·
Registered
2 Posts
first of all, the wood is much darker and the finish is hi glioss. the picture of the only gun on the site that also has a black reciever has what looks like a satin finish and light wood. the forarm on mine is flared, but not on the web pic, at least as far as i can tell. other than that, it just looks fifferent as tho the dimentions are different. maybe taller...........that kind of thing. it just looks a lot different to my eye, tho the wood and finish are the main and very obvious things. it looks like a fancier model while the web pic looks very plain.heres a pic of the beretta onyx. it looks almost exactly like it. the checking isn't so coarse as in the pic tho. (even on the beretta) and the flare at the front of the forarm is more pronounced than the pic, which seems to be a pretty lousy pic by the way.i also emailed them and asked about this yeasterday.........no reply so far.-dale

·
Registered
332 Posts
I had purchased a Model 502 Verona from Dicks Sporting Goods. I was very high on the Verona until some problems developed. One problem was the second barrel not firing. The second problem was pierced primers. I contacted PMC who instructed me to ship the gun back for repairs. This is a big problem for residents of NJ all firearms must be shipped by a licensed dealer. Due to the problems ( which PMC admits were common on the first guns that were imported ) I am returning the Verona to Dicks and getting the Berreta White Wing.

G

·
I HAVE A BERETTA WHITEWING,12 GA. AND I LOVE IT. I SHOOT SKEET AND TRAP WITH IT. THE RECOIL DOES NOT BOTHER ME AT ALL.I THINK IT SHOOTS GREAT AND IT ALSO LOOKS GREAT. ZEKE.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Do a search on this site for Verona. There have been some issues with both the LX501 and LX502 (The 501 is the blued receiver, 502 silver).

I was considering the 501/502 at Dicks for $599, but I'm a bit leary after reading some of the posts here. Probably gonna hold out for a used citori, 686, etc.

BC

G

·
No problem with my Verona LX501. I bought the 28ga and so far have shot 2 cases of shells through it with no problems. I compared it to the citori and couldn't fork over the extra $700.00 to buy the browning.

G

·
I have a Whitewing, and have used it for two years so far. It is my first o/u, and i really like it. Had to get used to making sure i completely released the trigger between shots, or it would not fire the second round.
What I really need to know, is how to disassemble the automatic safety ! :x
I have often missed birds because as I closed the gun to swing on a bird, the damn safety automatically engages. I carry the gun open for the most part, but I'd like to make sure when I put the bead on a bird, it's gonna fire instead of haveing me spit out a profanity
Can you guys help?
Jesse

G

·
I have a berretta white wing bl-5, used to be my grandfathers, love it for hunting. extremely agile. the recoill is quite harsh though. im a big guy, and i usually come away with a few bruises after a couple days shooting

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've owned a Whitewing for two years now..I use it mostly for hunting and the light weight is what you want...I go to the local gun club where they have turkey shoots..The winner has a hole closest to the X and you have to use their ammo..Number 9 shot everybody uses turkey shotguns I take my Beretta Whitewing.I've won a turkey 2 years in a row because I have a much better pattern with fine shot...

G

·
I own a Whitewing in 20ga and have had it for two years. I bought the twenty because I had open heart surgery and wanted to drop down on the recoil. Shooting 7/8 oz loads I continually outshoot folks shooting 12's and personally I have found that I break no fewer birds moving from the 20 to the 12. I am well now and I still shoot the 20 because it does what it is supposed to do on the clays range. Maybe I just got used to it and that is why I shoot it well. But, this I know. Several folks at the range bought a 20 ga Whitewing on the strength of what they saw it do on the clays range.
That is just my two cents worth and I am sure others can give you reasons to not buy one. I shoot it on pheasants and ducks with equally good results.

G

·
The 12-ga Whitewings have 3" chambers. Can you use 2 3/4" shells in them as well? I would assume so, but just wanted to be sure.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.