Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
The whitewing is a nice gun. Well made. It is pretty light for a 12 gauge and Bretta does use tight bores. The result is that the whitewing has a bit more recoil than the heavier O/U's. Great gun for the field. They go for about $1,000 here. With sporting clays you might want to use the lighter AA loads for the close shots.
I think the bretta is a nicer looking and feeling and made gun than the ruger, but I bet the ruger is more comfortable to shoot over 125 or so shellis in an hour.

G

·
I just got a whitewing myself and yeah, it's got a decent kick to it. I haven't shot sporting clays with it yet, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work just fine.
Yeah, that automatic safety thing was a bit annoying at first, but I found myself turning the safety off automatically just before mounting the gun, barely notice it anymore.

G

·
I would be careful using a Whitewing as a clays gun. It is a great gun, but its ightweight makes t best suited, IMHO, for the field. Shooting one or two boxes of shells in a day of hunting is one thing. Shooting 4+ in a couple of hours is different. The recoil can start to get to you. I see a lot of serious clay shooters around Houston, and I can't recall any of them shooting a whitewing. However, they are SERIOUS clay shooters. Either they do not hunt, or they have another shotgun for the field.

I understand not everyone wants or can afford two or three shotguns. You may be able to add some weight to the whitewing for clays. I have seen weights that clamp to the underside of the barrel, and you could add some lead to the hole in the stock (take off the recoil pad, you'll see what I mean) to keep the gun balanced. Then, when hunting season comes around, you can take the weight off and be amazed how light the gun is for hunting.

Regards,
Jeff
Dragons slain, Damsels rescued
No dragon too small, No maiden too fair, No reward too large

G

·
i use the whitewing and have shot about 5k rounds through it. the factory pad is a bit weak, i replaced it with a drop in, limbsaver i shoot 6+ rounds of trap and another 6 of skeet a week, and the recoil isn't to bad (always use bottom barrel on singles).
definetly go for the 28" barrels.

G

·
I would seriously consider getting the forcing cones done by Briley. You will see a big reduction in recoil. Add a Kick-eez pad and you shold be fine. You could also consider an "in the stock recoil reducer" like Dead Mule, etc for about $50.

Some folks get their guns ported. I would only get the bottom bbl ported as that's usually the first shot.

Just my .02

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would stick with the Beretta O/U's, I think you would be a lot happier in the long run quality and durability wise. If you could find a good used Red Label made a few years back that would be okay, but I would stay away from a new one. New Rugers have a few problems with them to say the least.

Bill3508

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.