Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a beretta 12 Ga semi auto for use as a field gun primarily. But,on occasion getting into skeet or S/C. As a "Utility" gun, it need not be fancy since it may get beat sometimes. I have a couple O/U for most of my target work but sometimes you got to get in some practice when huntiing season gets started. Now my questions;

Will the walmart beretta handle target loads and light reloads? My sporting clays load it is 7/8 #8 at about 1250.

On the other hand, how will it do with heavy turkey or waterfowl loads?

Is the receiver alloy or steel? ot is there an alloy model if not the Walmart version?

The current price around here is $529 at Walmart, is it better anywhere else?

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Beretta's, Italian or Wal-marts have alloy receivers.

Can't answer the load question...I Don't reload or shoot 7/8's oz loads.
I have shot 1oz loads @ 1150fps after a proper break in and cleaning/lubing with my 391's.

It will handle Turkey and 3" magnesium loads just fine. :wink:

$529.00.......maybe $499.00~$599.00 @ Bass Pro, Academy or Gander Mtn on the 3901 American
http://www.berettausa.com/product/product_field_guns_main.htm

·
Registered
60 Posts
i have been shooting clays with a walmart 390 for a couple years, i have shot light relaods, cheap promos, game loads, pretty much everything out there with it and i have yet to find a shell it wont cycle. i like the black finish personally and its quite durable. it matches my 92fs!

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
$529.00 is the lowest I have seen for the 390 Wal Mart. This model should cycle those 7/8oz loads as it's one of the better designs out there. It's a 3" model so it's versatile for bigger loads. It's also designed to bleed off the extra pressure of these bigger loads.

The 3901 that was mentioned by RWH24 is a similar model. Below is a link for the differences.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=109649

·
Registered
9,060 Posts
strut64 wrote:
Will the walmart beretta handle target loads and light reloads? My sporting clays load it is 7/8 #8 at about 1250.
I shoot 7/8 oz of 8's at 1200 all the time in practice and have never had a problem.

Emerson

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
From Beretta FAQ's

Why won't my 12 gauge model 390 / 391 function reliably with light-recoil, 1 ounce and 7/8 ounce loads?

:arrow: Answer
Light load, low velocity ammunition (particularly light recoil ammunition generating 1180 feet per second velocity or less), creates a challenge for firearms designers who strive to give the customer the greatest degree of versatility by offering the shotguns with 3 inch chambers. First, it is important to understand that the Beretta 390 and 391 family of shotguns uses propellant gases, generated when the cartridge is fired, to function the action of the shotgun; for this, the shotshell must generate a specific volume and pressure of gas, at the location of the gas port in the barrel, to ensure the shotgun will function.

There are a number of situations that are outside the control of the firearms manufacture which contribute to the possible problem:
a. The light loads referred to often do not generate a sufficient volume of gas to function the action.
b. Light loads may be manufactured with fast burning powders, which peak and drop their pressure curve before the location of the gas port in the barrel.
c. In barrels shorter then 28 inches, the shot and wad column exit the muzzle of the barrel sooner, allowing the propellant gases to escape before a sufficient volume of gas can be tapped off through the barrel gas port to properly function the action.
d. The shotgun is new and not "broken in": typically a new shotgun will be tighter until parts are seated in. We suggest shooting 100 to 200 rounds of heavy magnum load to break a new gun in prior to the use of the light loads.To ensure reliable functioning with 7/8 or 1-ounce loads, Beretta suggests the use of ammunition generating 1,250 to 1,300 feet per second. When used in a 28-inch or longer barrel, ammunition meeting these specifications will typically offer reliable functioning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.