Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had rotator cuff surgery and am out for this hunting season. A lot of cutting and sewing and two screws in it.

Looking at going to an automatic shotgun for next year. I have
a 20 auto. I use for small game and doves, also several .22's.

The 12 ga. will be used mainly for deer and turkey.

I have looked at a number on the internet, and in hunting magazines.
I most likely will be shooting the 2 3/4" shells, maybe a 3" mag.
at the most, no 3 1/2" mags now.

What good or bad points can you advise on thes guns below?

Remington Model 11-87 Auto.

Spartan Model SPR 453 Auto.Made in Russia, sold by Remington

Mossberg Model 930 auto.

Bretta Model 3901 American Auto.

H & R Model Excell 5 Auto. - I understand every time you want
another barrel you have to ship your stock and forarm back to
H & R to be "fitted." Don't really like this idea.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
Of those listed, the 1187 will "feel" the softest, IMO.

GEESSHH, with two screws you had more than rotator cuff surgery, sorry about that. When it comes time for therapy, let the sweat run but don't give up on it.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Welcome to SGW. Gun fit has a bigger effect on felt recoil than the small differences between operation designs. The shell used is second then the weight of the gun.
A good fitting gun shooting lighter loads is your best bet. Many autos now come with a shim system to adjust the fit of the gun. Of you list I would only go with the 3901. They heve very good quality and a lot of features. The Browning Silver Hunter, Weatherby SAS and Winchester SX2 would also be a couple of good choices that are priced similar to the 3901.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Worc makes several good points. If possible, try to shoot as many of the makes you are interested in with and without your hunting jacket. The Beretta felt like a light kicker to me when I shot a friend's but I found a SX2 at a lower price and it is mild kicker also so I went with it.

Also you may want to look into a nice recoil pad to help soften the recoil once you pick out a particular model, particularly when you are shooting slugs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Having a 391, I would go with the Remington 11-87 (I also have 2 1100's). I suggest adding the R3 recoil pad to the Rem and you will have a very soft felt recoil shotgun. Visit you local gun club and see if you can shoot someone's Beretta or Remington, most guys will be more than happy to help a fellow shooter. Good luck with your recovery.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Ohh! That sounds sore, my sympathies.

Bit of lateral thinking...for deer and turkey you don't need a snappy gun mount and controlled swing, so you could quite easily switch shoulders. That takes care of a lot of your big load worries.

I shoot game and wildfowl off my right shoulder (mostly a 391 with a Kick-Eze; very gentle) but for reasons of vision I shoot a rifle off my left, with no problems.

I'd give it a whirl on some clays with the 20 bore auto off 'tother side and see how you get on. If you are a youngish guy it shouldn't be hard. If you can switch, it's certainly the low cost option.

Regards
Eug

·
Registered
65 Posts
In my experience the Beretta 391 has the least recoil of any shotgun not to mention they are reliable.

FWIW

hubcap

1 - 8 of 8 Posts