Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI ALL
IM GOING ON A MIXED BAG HUNT IN 2 WEEKS AND IVE NEVER
BEEN ON ONE BEFORE CAN ANYONE SUGGEST A LOAD FOR MY WINCHESTER 1300 20 GA THAT WILL WORK WELL ON QUAIL PHESANT AND CHUCKAR ? I MOSTLY SHOOT 8 SHOT TARGET LOAD AND 71/2 ON DOVES BUT I WOULD LIKE TO FIND A LOAD THAT WORKS WELL FOR MIXED BAG
ALSO ANY CHOKE RECCOMENDATIONS I USUALLY USE MOD OR IC BUT MOSTLY MOD SHOULD I TRY SOMETHING ELSE?
THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY INFO GUYS
DIVR6347

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
well I'm a assumming since your going on a mixed bag hunt you'll be hunting on a preserve.most preserves resrtict shot to 7 1/2 shot size so thats what I'd go with.for 20 I like wolf dove and quail,winchester super-x and remington game loads also their shurshot heavy dove load is good but very hard to find here in California.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The 7 1/2's are fine, but I think I'd go to something like Remington's Express Long Range load in #6 shot. Chukkar and pheasants can get you into some fairly long shots if they elude the first shot and gain flying room (especially the chukkar). If it's more quail than the other two, I'd still use the Express long range but in # 7 1/2. I've just had better luck with the #6's on the larger birds. (Provided they pattern well in your gun.)

Enjoy yourself--sounds like it'll be alot of fun :) If you have a minute afterwards, come back and let us know how it went!

Best,

Jeff23

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
If I'm going for "liberated" birds I generally carry Winchester Super-X Heavy Game Load 1oz 20 gauge in #7.5. I'll also take a box of #6's in the same brand and have it ride 3rd in semi/pump or second in a break action.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.