Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a set of 20 gauge Briley Untra-light tubes for my 12 gauge O/U. My first outing resulted in several fail to ejects on the upper bbl only. Ammo was Rio #7.5 at 1250 fps, high brass. Don't know if it is a weak ejector spring, burr on the Briley ejector, or whether the Rio's are the problem. I did later take the Briley ejectors out and de-burred them a bit. Any guidelines for ammo with 20 gauge tubes? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Most of the time, failure-to-eject in sub-gauge tubes is caused by steel-headed hulls. I don't know what Rios have as they are Euro-trash as far as I'm concerned and I won't use them. I don't buy new shells and have reloaded all the sub-gauge stuff I've shot for the last 35 years. I've used Winchester compression formed AA, AA HS, Remington Premiers, RXP and STS all with good success. That is, none of them failed to eject.......ever.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
rmiddlemas said:
...in several fail to ejects on the upper bbl only Ammo was Rio #7.5 at 1250 fps, high brass.
If it had occurred in both tubes I might suspect the ammo. The fact it was consistently in the upper tube suggests to me it could be something with that tube. Try other ammo and see what happens.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Vette Jockey wrote: I don't know what Rios have as they are Euro-trash as far as I'm concerned and I won't use them.
I believe RIO shells are manufactured in Texas, not that this means they aren't trash, but still...

I had the same problem in a Beretta gun, except in the bottom barrel. Pulled the ejector, ran it over a fine diamond hone a few times, and the problem was solved. Strange that it never happened shooting 12 gauge.

·
Registered
8,556 Posts
Rios are steel hulled. Most need to use a brass-base hull for reliable ejection -- I use AA's and they are flawless, Rem GN's are good too. Some folks have success with Fiocchi even though they appear to be steel too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.