Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
They both load quite well. IF you were looking for heavy hunting loads (1 ounce) there might be some better choices but for 7/8 standard loads these two are great. The AAHS is a bit less spacious than the STS. Because of this, it works better if you use a powder that is somewhat dense. If you want 7/8 ounce in both the STS and AAHS, you cannot go wrong with Alliant 20/28. If you are loading just the Remingtons then Unique will work. It won't quite fit in an AAHS. If only AAHS then Winchester Super Field is very good. It is a tad too dense for Remington and you are apt to get dished crimps. FYI: if you run into 20 gauge Rem Gun Clubs, grab them. They may have a steel head but they load very well, just like STS.

·
Registered
27,021 Posts
Remington - STS or GC

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
If you can find them, the old AA compression formed hulls are far better than anything available today, but they may be hard to find. Recently, I bought 1000 once fired for a reasonable price. There are still some out there.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If your goal is to save a little money reloading, then the most prolific hull on about any range will be the Federal Top Gun hull/Estate hull. They are the same, one with a shiny steel base, the other with a brass washed steel base. They are free for the shoveling, load great (I only load 3/4 oz in them with the SG20L, and have never loaded a hull twice yet, they breed like mice.

Ya'll can load the fancy schmancy hulls all ya want.

I was cleaning out the hull bin the other day and found a couple old Peters Blue Magic hulls that had completely burned in half. I think these were also the ones I gave to a shooter there a few years back. Am I so proud of a hull that I want to load something so many times that I have to be concerned about it coming in two in the barrel? :roll: :roll:

I like loading 1X hulls all the time, and not worrying about checking for pinholes, bad crimp folds, etc.

·
Registered
27,021 Posts
I am getting 10-12 reloads from the GC I bought as new stock when they were on sale years ago. Every now and again, I have to grab a box of new ammo as a few hulls finally get trashed.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I think Gun Clubs are great hulls, 12 and 20 gauge. But at least in my area, I just do not find a lot of 20 gauge GC's in the trash, 12's yes, but not 20's. I do find a lot of 20 gauge AAHS. Certainly there CAN be problems with getting things to fit. This IS a true statement for any hull. However, use WSF or 20/28 and things do fit just great with standard off the shelf regular price wads (CB1078-20 or Orange Duster.).

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've read the threads on the AA-HS 20 having space challenges with some powders. I've been using the WTW 20 blue wads without issue, even with bulkier powders like Unique, and Austraian Universal. I don't think there's an issue any longer with the more sense Universal from Canada. Just my experience, yrmv.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
STS will last the longest. I have ten loading's on the few boxes I could find when I started. They look no different then they did after the second reloading. I picked up four flats the next year and I shoot a full flat then reload them till they need to be tossed out.

Both 20/28 & Pro-Reach work great with the Orange Duster or CB-1078. What is great is I can load the AA20HS with out any changes to the crimp settings. With Pro-Reach I backed off to 19.5grs which is under the 20.2 grs at 1300 fps for a better fit.

Both work great with the SP20 one ounce wad with Blue Dot. I use the AA's for easy identification with straight #7 at 1250 fps for December grouse. This with #5 or #6 would be a great pheasant load.

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
I never see STS empties at my club's range; only a few Gun Clubs, even fewer AAs, and lots of Federals, Rios, etc, which I pass on.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
casonet said:
I never see STS empties at my club's range; only a few Gun Clubs, even fewer AAs, and lots of Federals, Rios, etc, which I pass on.
Then you don't reload many 20 ga hulls unless you buy all yours loaded and save them.

The Feds/Estates load great. Don't particularly care for the RIOs, as that Eurohull happens to be a full 70mm in length, making it difficult to load 3/4 oz with the cheaper popular wads. The domestic hulls are all shorter, never a full 70mm, making it easier to load light.

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
Actually, I have friends who don't reload, but save all of their Gun Club empties for me. That's where I get mine. They just won't spend the extra money for STS. I also have a large supply of once fired old style AA cf. Those are the best ever.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have found the cheap Federals to be the most forgiving and plentiful. Gun Clubs are pretty good as well. Current production AA are too frustrating for a new reloader as they have barely enough internal capacity and it is easy to get things wrong with them.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
pahoghunter said:
I want to start loading and was wondering what is the best 20ga hull I will be using 7/8oz load. I'm thinking either WIN AA or REM STS?
It all depends on how you want to obtain your hulls and if you expect to reload the same hull many times or not.

The AAHS and STS are very hard to find on the ground unless you are planning on buying factory ammo to get the hulls. In that case buy the Remington's, STS or Gun Club depending on how much you want to pay. The Gun Club is the same hull as the STS and both can be reloaded many times. The Winchester AAHS is a pain in the butt and not the best choice for a new reloader.

If you want to get free hulls through range pick-ups, the I'd recommend the Federal/Estate hulls or any of the imported straight wall hulls like Clever, Fiocchi, Nobel or Rio. All of these load with wads that are commonly available at good prices and all use pretty much the same data. The imports will use the euro sized primer but it's not a big deal, the primers are even cheaper than the US sized primers and available everywhere.

They are so plentiful around here that I rarely load them more than once or twice. You can reload these five or six times, maybe more, but I don't try for that. I prefer always using fresh hulls rather than reloading a hull so many times it looks like the burnt out wreck of the Hindenburg.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.