Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a poor college student on a tight budget looking for a the best gun I can get for about $450 and below. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I see a number of shooters using Remington 870's which are pump shotguns and work well for the single shots of trap, but there are some that don't mind pumping the action for the second shot when doubles are thrown in skeet (I am not that coordinated), but also see a larger number of the venerable Remington 1100 or 1187 autoloaders with the proper barrel length and screw-in chokes. Since there were millions of the 1100 made, they can be found used in pawn shops, gun shows and gun dealers. The 1100 is dependable and has little recoil and parts are readily available. Good luck. MikeSp

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Here are some of the decisions that will face you with a Remington 1100, which you can buy today from $175 to $250...minty.Be aware that the Remington 1100 is a field gun, and except for the skeet barrel, which is a short barrel by today's standards, the gun will not consistently eject 7/8 and 1 oz loads. Secondly, if you purchase an older model in will have a fixed choke.So my vote for the best affordable gun would be a Remington 1100 with a VENTED poly choke (of course), which would allow you to take the same gun back and forth to the skeet/trap ranges, and be set to shoot the respective disciplines with the twist of a wrist.You can buy these guns in PRISTINE condition for $200, and then I would spend $10 to have the ports enlarged one size by a gunsmith so that the gun will eject range loads.Be sure to get a 28 inch barrel; nothing shorter.Also, buy a Bear Tooth adjustable slip on recoil pad for the gun so that you can adjust fit by 1/8 inch increments.As a sidebar to this issue, I shot sporting clays the other day, and who wouldn't want an external, twistable choke in sporting clays? Bring back the Poly Choke!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Remington 1100, no question. I would suggest a 26" bbl. for skeet and a 30" full for trap. also, I think someone makes a synthetic stock with an adjustable cheek piece for the 1100. With that, you should be able to pretty much play any of the games and still keep the cost down to something reasonable. Good luck and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im no expert, but from the inexpensive guns ive shot, an 870 is the best. I personally just bought one. Why spend 450? Do u really need a semi auto or an o/u? I can hit two targets with a pump. If i can do it anyone can. Plus cleaning is far easier on the pumps then on the semi autos. Once again, in my opinion, since ur on a budget, buy a nice pump.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Jack west makes the adj stock for the 1100 but it is a little cheaper to just have an adj comb put on the wood stock.Steven

·
Registered
3 Posts
Choose whatever gun you like and can afford, the use it for shooting clays.I personally like Beretta. I've seen people shooting 870 pumps. Go for it and have lots of fun!8)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Used Remington 1100 with Rem-choke system. No question. The poly-choke will most likely hurt your resale value but will suffice for different constrictions needed to switch from skeet to trap disciplines. RemingtonII..... Where in the world are you finding pristine 1100's for 200.00?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I saw the adjustable composite stock sometime back at a registered ATA shoot. One of the vendors had them for 870's and 1100's. Unfortunately, I don't recall the manufacturer or the vendor. Someone commented that it may be lees expensive to have an adjustable comb installed on the existing stock and I think that may well be true. I've seen a guy at some of our registered shoots that is doing this work for, I believe, $80.

G

·
Save your money and buy a good gun. I started with the same idea and it took me forever to correct my shootingdue to a cheap gun that did not fit me. Would you buy a pair of shoes that don't fit just to go walking?

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
You do realize this thread was dormant for almost 10 months, don't you?

Scott

·
Registered
52 Posts
RemingtonII said:
Be aware that the Remington 1100 is a field gun, and except for the skeet barrel, which is a short barrel by today's standards, the gun will not consistently eject 7/8 and 1 oz loads.
I put between 5-10,000 1oz loads through my 1100. It would require a detail strip level cleaning about every 1,000 of them but functioned adequatley.

Just another datapoint.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts