Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
bcpifish said:
Greece -

I'm not familiar with the term "stockdove". We don't use that term here in the U.S.

We generally have three types of doves here. The mourning dove, approximately 12 in. long, pointed tail and grey-brown in color; the White-wing dove, slightly larger than the mourning dove with a white patch on the wing, and a long moderately rounded tail; and lastly the Eurasian collared dove, approximately 15 in. long, grey in color, with a thin black band with a white border on the neck.

All are small, very fast, and sometimes erratic flyers. They are easy to kill, so 7.5 or smaller (U.S. shot size) shot is all that is needed. While they ARE easy to kill, they can sometimes be very hard to hit!

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Ok thanks..
Probably you mean the one we know as stockdove or cushat, it looks like the one you call whitewing. I took these words from a dictionary (stockdove, cushat).

Thanks again

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Thanks to the knowledgeable folks on this site...have made me a much better and more knowledgeable shotgunner.
Have a case of Shurshot Heavy Dove for the 20 (bought on sale at Academy for $40); 10 boxes of STS individually bought for the 12s; 8 boxes of AAs bought individually; and a couple odd and end boxes of Win Target loads. Now, if Academy will put their 12 gauge cases on sale, I'll pick one of those up and will be so ready!

Why so much Ammo? Because I'm such a great shot! haha!

C'mon Sept 4th! so looking forward to it! As a matter of fact...kinda wondering why I bought that bow for early Deer season...I'll choose Dove over Deer in September 10 out of 10 times. For that matter, why'd I buy all those muzzleloader supplies today...man, I'll have to weigh at least one Saturday to Deer...oh, I got it...deer in the morning and then drive over to the dove field! Woo-hoo!

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Randy...HAHA! That made me laugh...I probably need a belt fed something or another to make it fair for me (those doves fly in and point me out and do circles around me just to watch me shoot and laugh)...

My youngest son likes to make fun that he hits more clays than I do...but I have improved. Funny thing is that I'm a heck of a shot with a rifle. The deal is I'm left eye dominant and shooting with both eyes open have gotten better with the shotgun. I seem to shoot the 870 better with no mods so I'm leaning toward a fitting this year.

Plus, I have to buy shells for me, my oldest boy, my brother and my nephew (they never bring enough).

Oh well, home on lunch break...better get back to work.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.