Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
If I was going to hunt those three choices with one gun, I would take a .243.

Reactions: desmobob

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
The only rifle I own is a Savage 110 Storm in .223 for informal target shooting and predators. I like it, but personally wouldn`t use it for deer or hogs although I know some do. Agree with the .243 and up.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I like a .270 for deer and a .223 for coyotes. I've never hunted hogs but if I did, I'd use my 6.8 SPC.

I agree with noweil... if I had to use one rifle for all three, I'd choose a .243 Winchester.

·
Registered
856 Posts
.243 shooting 55 grain Sierras for coyotes. Stay off of bone and it looks like they were killed by lightening. Hit hard parts and they'll blow big holes. A bullet change makes it a deer killer. Fastest I've seen an elk hit the dirt was with a .243 shooting 100 grain Core Lokts. I wouldn't normally call for a .243 as an elk round but it can do the work. It is a versatile big little cartridge.

·
Registered
645 Posts
If I was to choose one for all, a 25-06 would be the choice. 75-87 grain for varmints. 100-120 grain for deer and hogs.

more than one, 223 or 22-250 along with a 270.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Too many variables with hunting terrain to have one that's the "the best". You put the proper bullet in the right place and it's not hard to take game.... or like me where it's a jungle and a shotgun with buckshot works better than a single projectile.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts