Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
I used Federal 9's and sometimes 8's. I usually stick with a Skeet choke but I sometimes use Cyl. Either way I haven't noticed a major difference between the two.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Best or Cheapest?

Just starting out shop Dick's for Gun Clubs on sale @ $4.98/box or WallMart for 100 count value packs @ $25. anything #8 or smaller (8.5 or 9) will work just fine.

If you shoot Gun Clubs save the hulls for reloading or resale.

There will be a lot of opinions as to "best" shells.

Be prepared, you are about to become an addict.....don't ask how I know :twisted:

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Triple7 said:
If I'm using a Mod choke is it going to make huge difference?
Yes, You are way overchoked. Skeet is a close in game. That's why they make SKEET chokes, which are .005 constriction. Your Modified chokes have .020 constriction, which is 4 times the needed constriction. Some people even use Cyl. bore choke tubes, which I do not recommend, but your Modified chokes are handicaping you, so you need to change them.

If you are not going to reload, then any brand shells will work, but if you intend to reload, then you should be purchasing shells that reload well. All premium shells reload well, and the cheaper Remington Gun Clubs reload well. For that matter, any remington hull of recent production reloads well. Avoid the cheap Winchesters and Federals. For 12 and 20 ga. skeet, use #8's, or #8-1/2's, or #9's. All work very well.

DLM

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
As usual, DLM is correct; right on the money!
But who didn't know that!! :)

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
Any shell that reliablly shoots 8 or 9 shot at 1200 fps is fine with me. While I love AA's and STS's, I do a lot of chrono work, on reloads and factory, and the Factory Pink Federals have produced the most consistant muzzle velocities I have seen!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Skeet isn't really all that ammo dependent, especially when you're learning. Just about any light field or target load with 8 or 9 shot should be fine. The most important thing for a new shooter is simply to get good instruction and shoot lots of targets. Later on an experienced shooter might pay the extra price for "taget". I've found that the biggest advantage to "target" loads is that you can pick shot size and weight easier and I think most "target" loads will kick a bit less then the cheap field loads. My favorite new ammo for low cost AND target quality is the Remington Gun Club line.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Shot good scores with Gun Clubs today. They have relatively low velocity, so less kick. Also nice is the fact that the 12 ga. GC's threw out 1 1/8 oz. of #9 shot, not like the 1 oz. cheapies I've been shooting lately.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
3" hulls with 1 9/16 oz of # 9's works great.
You get some funny looks from squadmates though. :roll:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later