Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
Fabarms L4s Initial Hunter Compact
897 Posts
I have a big red sled just inside the garage door and just tried your suggestion.

Obedience things we have very solid. Getting in his crate or the back of the car, he hops right in. We did space on the ground inside a 2x4 frame in puppy class ages ago.. but

He was NOT going in that sled! I was shocked! This might explain why he loves to swim but won't go inside a little plastic kiddy pool.

I will have my wife help to gently introduce him into the little sled.

Getting him into a canoe is no problem- he will follow us in, happily... but then he wants to move around and check the water on both sides, get out and swim, get back in, repeat.

You really hit the nail on the head here. Whatever it is, the sled makes him very... skeptical! He's not afraid, he's just not gonna step in to it, even with treats on the line. Two people, I bet we can coax him in with food and superior trickery.

Great tip!

· Registered
1,741 Posts
I know right where the one in Isabella happened. I used to hunt that area for a couple of weeks every year. It is off a 10 mile loop of a NF road.

The antenna for my truck is still someplace down that road.

About 6 years ago moved to Cook County to hunt and have standing reservations at a cabin there for the first 3 weeks of Oct. No shortage of wolves there either, had one cross the Gunflint Trail early one morning and at first my friend and I thought it was a deer. But there are very few deer in that area. Because wolves.

The GPS will occasionally show me a few of my marked spots by Isabella and as the Raven flies only ~18 miles away. But with the Boundary Waters between it is more than a 2 hour drive. The wolves and moose don't have to take the roads but they do often run them.

If you're looking for a pup this morning just finished AKC registration for a breeding in Duluth that my oldest stud muffin sired and dropped 2 weeks ago.

He asked again if I wanted a pup or stud fee but already have one of his sons who just turned 2. Too soon, I'm still recovering LOL.

Tollers are a handful and can't imagine having 3 but really was torn. Then I came to my senses. But after looking pictures finding the Stony Loop road came across some of the oldest and thought hmmm....

This was very close to where the wolf attack occurred. With my 16 ga. FAIR

Cook County with another FAIR and barrels are twisted the other way

I think his son is going to be even better yet. Couple of months ago, speaking of retrieving.

Thanks, but I need to wait a bit for a new pup with all my kids sports! Our cabin is near Remer and there's plenty of wolves that way too (Chippewa Nat Forest). I've seen one and heard them howling on numerous occasions. I've also seen their tracks in the snow and scat while grouse hunting. I always have a story of a group of hounds that was wiped out just a few seconds up the trail in Wisconsin bear hunting.

We used to go to a cabin on the Gunflint and I've seen a bunch of moose (in the late 80s). I recently drove up to Lutsen and we saw a wolf right off hwy 61. Did a double take

Did you complete your order for that new FAIR??

· Registered
736 Posts
Thanks, but I need to wait a bit for a new pup with all my kids sports! Our cabin is near Remer and there's plenty of wolves that way too (Chippewa Nat Forest). I've seen one and heard them howling on numerous occasions. I've also seen their tracks in the snow and scat while grouse hunting. I always have a story of a group of hounds that was wiped out just a few seconds up the trail in Wisconsin bear hunting.

Did you complete your order for that new FAIR??
I did, last month and paid in full! Now the hardest part, waiting. They told me 6 months but will see as they have been coming in slow lately. Would like to have it in time for a few light runs at SC and 5 stand with it but as long as it is in by hunting season all is good (y)

· Registered
6,304 Posts
I have a big red sled just inside the garage door and just tried your suggestion.

Obedience things we have very solid. Getting in his crate or the back of the car, he hops right in. We did space on the ground inside a 2x4 frame in puppy class ages ago.. but

He was NOT going in that sled! I was shocked! This might explain why he loves to swim but won't go inside a little plastic kiddy pool.

I will have my wife help to gently introduce him into the little sled.

Getting him into a canoe is no problem- he will follow us in, happily... but then he wants to move around and check the water on both sides, get out and swim, get back in, repeat.

You really hit the nail on the head here. Whatever it is, the sled makes him very... skeptical! He's not afraid, he's just not gonna step in to it, even with treats on the line. Two people, I bet we can coax him in with food and superior trickery.

Great tip!
Try using a rug or blanket instead of the sled. Roll up the edges to create a rim. When the dog is comfortable stepping on and off that, place it over the sled then repeat. The feel of plastic probably has the dog spooked as it is slippery. To them it is like walking on sheet ice for us and is something to be avoided. The blanket will fool the dog into stepping into the sled but the dog will feel a little uncontrolled which can make it more reliant on you for support. Do this without moving the sled until the dog is comfortable. Then give the sled slow pulls, no tugs, for initial motion.

I do this initial work on land as it is easier for me to handle the dog compared to being in water. Working with a pup is much easier too, an adult dog has its own ideas. Using one's imagination to think out how to create a training schedule to mitigate is probably the most important part of dog training. Most dogs are pretty easy to direct but there is always That One that is a challenge. They are also the one you learn the most from.

· Registered
257 Posts
Announce,

Just a couple of things on bumpers.

Dogs dont see orange well at all. Thats why we use orange bumpers for work where we may want to see the bumper but not the dog being able to.

You dont need orange bumpers for marking work. If you throw a white bumper in cover, pup will smell it 99% of the time before he sees it.

You shouldn't really need any scents if pup likes his bumpers. You can throw a bumper in cover time and time again and pup will find it due to its sent or your scent.

If you're going to work on improving pups marking at distance and you should,, you might consider getting dual color bumpers. A white bumper against a light sky can be hard for pup to see at distance. And if we are trying to teach pup something its important he can see it. Same against a dark background. (my wife actually invented the dual color bumper in the late 80's) .

Dont let pup have the bumper after training. If it has a valve to add water for weight, that will be the first thing pup destroys. Next will be chewing the eye the rope goes through off thereby rendering it almost useless.

Size. I prefer to just use the smaller ones. I can carry more of them. and pup does not really care.

Have fun with pup.

· Registered
1,741 Posts
I did, last month and paid in full! Now the hardest part, waiting. They told me 6 months but will see as they have been coming in slow lately. Would like to have it in time for a few light runs at SC and 5 stand with it but as long as it is in by hunting season all is good (y)
Good deal! I don't want to get your hopes up too much, but I ordered mine during Covid and though all of N Italy was shut down for a few months, they still got me mine a couple months earlier than what they said. Though that maybe was due to lower order volume at that time, who knows.

Either way, well worth the wait and please post up some pictures.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts