Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going hunting for Mountain Quail for the first time this weekend. I'll be using my 12 ga SBE II with 1oz Remington Game Load #7.5's.

What choke should I use? I've never used my Benelli Cylinder choke before but given how quickly they get up and short distances involved before they disappear into cover, I'm wondering if that is the right choke. Or should I stick with an IC? I genrally shot my Mod but that is clearly the wrong choice.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Since nobody is replying... I will jump in here.... I don't hunt these type of quail... But maybe they are something like Mearns ? On Mearns, I use an IC...

What would your shot distances be on these birds ? Average ? Range (min-max) ? How tough are they to bring down (relative to maybe a dove)...

If you use a 1oz load and all your shots are under 25 yards, skeet choke would be good. If you don't have a skeet, then use an IC...

Try some patterns at a distance that you would estimate to be the maximum... That will likely influence your decision....

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
In all my years hunting the quail I have used both IC and modified with great success. In the groves of CA the IC works well for the shorter shots on the mountain quail and the open fields in TX I use the modified since I have an extra second to recover from the flush of the bobwhites.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've hunted them and Valley Quail a lot. In my experience they usually put something between you and them and/or get back down as quick as possible after flushing. I wouldn't go any tighter than IC and depending on cover skeet can be better. It's a different kind of shooting but I'll put them up with there with fast moving doves or teal for difficulty.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, unfortunately I don't have a skeet choke. I'm trying to determine if I should use my IC (which I know shoots a nice pattern) or go to my Cylinder (which I have never had reason to use).
From what I have been told and seen, most flushes will be inside 20 yrds and be very quick before the quail disappear into new brush. However, some will flush well out and could be as much as 40 yrds. They are hard birds to hunt. I saw one recommendation online to use a Cylinder with an IM in an O/U. Unfortunately I don't have that open.
I think the Cylinder would be the thing for the short shots but not at 40 yrds. Also, I have never used it and don't have time to pattern it before I go. I will bring both but am still pondering which to start with. I'm leaning towards starting with the Cylinder first as I believe I will need as much help as I can get with the short / quick shots and that there will be more of these than long shots. Cylinder also won't help me in the unlikely event we see a grouse.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
What you said about possible grouse is a good case for starting with cyl and keep the improved in your pocket if things change...

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
kj said:
Thanks guys, unfortunately I don't have a skeet choke. I'm trying to determine if I should use my IC (which I know shoots a nice pattern) or go to my Cylinder (which I have never had reason to use).
From what I have been told and seen, most flushes will be inside 20 yrds and be very quick before the quail disappear into new brush. However, some will flush well out and could be as much as 40 yrds. They are hard birds to hunt. I saw one recommendation online to use a Cylinder with an IM in an O/U. Unfortunately I don't have that open.
I think the Cylinder would be the thing for the short shots but not at 40 yrds. Also, I have never used it and don't have time to pattern it before I go. I will bring both but am still pondering which to start with. I'm leaning towards starting with the Cylinder first as I believe I will need as much help as I can get with the short / quick shots and that there will be more of these than long shots. Cylinder also won't help me in the unlikely event we see a grouse.
Cylinder, I think is way too open... Stick with your IC... Even when I hunted Mearns/Gambels in lots of tree cover, I used an IC and it works great... I have no issues with missing shots or torn up birds...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts