Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D what would be the best choke for 16 yard 5 stand with a 12ga silver mallard? a mod or an improved mod? thanks. sj :)

G

·
I liek to shoot an Improved Modified personally. I get a great pattern with it. I would pattern your gun with both chokes, and maybe even tyr a full choke too and see which pattern you think will work best. Be sure when you do this to use the olads you will be shooting for trap.

·
Registered
109 Posts
sjones said:
:D what would be the best choke for 16 yard 5 stand with a 12ga silver mallard? a mod or an improved mod? thanks. sj :)
SJ,
I'm unsure if you are referring to 5 stand or 16 yd trap targets.
Each different 5 stand setup may result in one choke which will work best for you, but in all probability it will be either IC or light mod. For trap it may be mod if you shoot really fast, but most likely the improved mod will be the choke you settle on.
Dthomas makes a good point in stating that you need to pattern with the loads you will be using. Just be sure to do this at the distance(s) you will be attempting the targets. For most people this is around 35 yards for 16 yd trap, but for 5 stand it could vary from less than 20 yds to more than 40.

·
Premium Member
19,741 Posts
Light Mod would be my choice for most 5 stands. If you don't have Lt Mod, then use IC if you are a beginning shooter.

For 16 yard trap, use the Modified choke.

G

·
In addition to what was said above, part of the decision of choosing choke constriction should involve the choice of either breaking as many targets as possible OR improving the accuracy of your shooting. I would favor the latter until the scores are acceptable to you. You can then raise them further by shooting a more open choke when possible.

Shoot Well,

Rollin

G

·
For most people you can easily get away with modified or improved modified on the 16 yard line.

For doubles a modified, full, you can get away with improved cylinder if you really take the first bird quick.

Handicap it all depends where you are at, but probably improved modified at the most open.

Myself I shoot a tight full at 16 yards, partly because I don't have chokes and shoot from the 27 on handicap. My doubles gun is a tight modified and tight full. Probalby tighter than I need but I personally think that with a experienced shooter tight chokes encourage you to be more accurate, and they also provide a confidence boost when you are just smoking targets. If I had tubes I'd probably change that to improved modifed at the 16, mod and full for doubles, and tight full for handicap. I never got my trap gun iwth tubes, mostly because at the time I was fed up with toying with my gun, I had a softtouch stock, adjustable butt plate, choke tubes, you name it I could adjust it. I just woke up one day and realized I spent more time trying to adjust my gun and chokes and stock just right I wasen't putting my effort into shooting fundamentals. So when I got my new gun I had it fitted, decided on chokes, no soft touch, no adjustable butt plate or comb, nothing to mess with, just shoot it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
i also prefer a full choke for 16yd trap, an improved modified will also work fine. pattern your gun and see what it likes.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Shoot a full for singles and handicap. You'll never second guess yourself whether the gun had enough choke to get the job done. Plus, you've got to be pretty much on the mark. Helps to keep a guy frosty.

For doubles with an O/U modified first, full second. In an auto modified or full, depending on how quick you are to the bird.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I know this topic has been covered, and I understand that if you are shooting all your targets way out there probably you need a lot of choke. However, if a chip off a target is as good as smoke score-wise, why not open up the choke and up your hit probability?

The other night I shot targets with a Browning Midas choke marked "skeet" and Remington STS 7.5 shot (12 ga). Targets seemed to break just fine.

Even if you don't go that open, why not go Light Mod or even IC for 16 yard singles? What is the downside? Are you really likely to lose more to holes in your pattern than you would miss outright with a tighter choke? Is there even any way to know for sure?

·
Registered
28 Posts
The suggestion to actually pattern your gun at the distance you plan to break the targets is priceless. That way you will really know whether a bird can sneek through the pattern or if your pattern is smaller than it needs to be. I hadn't shot trap for a while (been working on skeet) and yesterday went out and broke 25 (23 solid and two chippers) with a Briley Mod from the 16 yard line. If I had been shooting a full choke, I would have shot 23 smokes and two misses. :roll: Last time I checked, both chippers and smokes were marked the same with X's on the score sheet. I guess it depends if you want to shoot for score or for show.

Shoot well. (txtate) Gary Tate

·
Registered
28 Posts
The suggestion to actually pattern your gun at the distance you plan to break the targets is priceless. That way you will really know whether a bird can sneek through the pattern or if your pattern is smaller than it needs to be. I hadn't shot trap for a while (been working on skeet) and yesterday went out and broke 25 (23 solid and two chippers) with a Briley Mod from the 16 yard line. If I had been shooting a full choke, I would have shot 23 smokes and two misses. :roll: Last time I checked, both chippers and smokes were marked the same with X's on the score sheet. I guess it depends if you want to shoot for score or for show.

Shoot well. (txtate) Gary Tate

·
Registered
954 Posts
I like IM and Full for all the trap games in my 12ga 16 yd, handicap and continental with 1 oz of 8's at about 1275 fps. But that doesn't mean you can't break them with an IC or skeet choke even, at 16yds, especially if you shoot
1 1/8oz of 7 1/2's.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
sjones,

As you can see we all have our favorites here and have good reasons for them. We break clays with them, but I think the best advice came from Rollin Oswald.

Starting out at trap use a more open choke. As you improve go to more closed choke to improve your shooting.

Improvement is when you are really breaking up the targets instead of just having pieces falling off.

On the 16 yard line I started off with a full choke and wasn't doing too well. Someone suggested I try a mod choke and I started hitting more targets. After about 2500 rounds I've now switched to an improved modified and am now getting better. I reserve the full choke for 27 yards or second shot on doubles.

Hope that helps :)

Happy Shooting................Levi

G

·
I must be odd since, as a brand new new trap shooter, I use full on the top barrel on my Citori trap ... when I tried mod and i/m my scores got worse???? Maybe if I know it is full I pay more attention to what I am doing ??? Just completed my first singles tournament with a 91/100 using full choke ... seems 23/25 is my magic number and I can't seem to bust more ..... mind you I have only shot about 12 trap rounds of 25 ever !!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts