Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone,
In my county in MD(Prince George), we have a very generous season (UNLIMITED antlerless and 2 antlered deer, and can get a stamp for 3rd antlered). I know I want a slug gun, but I am not sure which gun and gauge to buy(I'm leaning more to 20gauge). I read an article on the web that comparedMarlin 210F, the Mossberg695 and a now discontinued Browning)and from this board I heard about the H&R Ultra Slug Gun. Also, I am contemplating buying a Mossberg 500 combo for $259 , or Remington 870 express combo for $333 at Walmart if people think that is a better idea. What quality combination of gun and scope would put me in or around 500 can you guys recommend for me? I am a newbie and would appreciate the help so I can finally make the purchase instead of just looking and looking and not getting anything. Thanks very much for any help you can provide...

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I own the H&R Ultra and it's a tack driver at 100 yards.

I've shot the Slug Warrior from Savage and it's the finest slug gun I've pulled the trigger on.

The "undisputed" king of web hype is the TarHunt. It's probably a GREAT gun I've just never shot the thing, but I do know that it has a great reputation.

I like the fact that all three of these guns are DEDICATED slug guns. Made to shoot slugs only.

The H&R with a Redhead Scope would only run around $300 bucks tax,title,license.

Give it a go make that first shot count cause it's the only one you're gonna get. That's the point though isn't it?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi MdDeerHunter,
I just sighted in my new Mossberg 695 with fully rifled barrel and it is a shooter. three shot groups of 1 1/2 inch at 100 yds. The barrel is ported and the recoil is not as hard as my old 870 Remingtom. Gander Mountain has them on sale in Mi. for 219.00 until 11/8/03. I put a 3 x 9 x40 bushnell scope on it for 70.00, so with tax I am a little over 300.00. However I am very happy with this Mossberg. A fully rifled barrel for my 870 was going to cost me 239.00 plus tax and shipping. This way I have a dedicated SLUG RIFLE. Good Luck in your quest!

G

·
hi,
I have had the good fortune of firing all three of the slug guns your curious about . When it comes down to it having tried all three i find the Mossberg to be my favorite(i own the 695 and 870) and i used to own a New England rifled 12ga. single shot that i gave to my father. All three have downed nice deer for me but i love the accuracy i get from my 695. I live in the county (Montgomery, Md.) right next to yours and the hunting is awesome good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a rem 870 express with a fully rifled barrel and love it. Shoots great and to be honest I don't what people are talking about when they say that the 870 kicks hard. To me it is a great gun. Look around you can get a 870 with rifled barrel for appox. 250 give or take from Wal mart. Thats where I got mine. I also love the savage always have liked the savage line. I have an old 775a that shoots dead on all the time and the new savages are great also. Most important hold the gun in your hands and see what feels best to you and makes you most comfortable and go with it. Shoot different loads until you get one that works for you and the gun. Best of luck.

·
Registered
158 Posts
mdslugger said:
hi,
I have had the good fortune of firing all three of the slug guns your curious about . When it comes down to it having tried all three i find the Mossberg to be my favorite(i own the 695 and 870) and i used to own a New England rifled 12ga. single shot that i gave to my father. All three have downed nice deer for me but i love the accuracy i get from my 695. I live in the county (Montgomery, Md.) right next to yours and the hunting is awesome good luck!
What part of montgomery county do you live in? I live in rockville.

G

·
hey buddy good question, now i got a good answer. I purchased the H&R Ultra slug hunter 4 seasons ago. Since then their hasn't been a day where the trigger had been pulled that the gun had not completly amazed me. Coupled with lightfield hybred exp's the deer will be dropping like my belt buckle in a brothel. The guns extra weight stablizes it in my opinion and a good strap has made mine barely noticeable on those long walks. Just remember get whatever gun you want to get as long as its the H&R. Good luck buddy!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
MdDeerHunter said:
HI everyone,
In my county in MD(Prince George), we have a very generous season (UNLIMITED antlerless and 2 antlered deer, and can get a stamp for 3rd antlered). I know I want a slug gun, but I am not sure which gun and gauge to buy(I'm leaning more to 20gauge). I read an article on the web that comparedMarlin 210F, the Mossberg695 and a now discontinued Browning)and from this board I heard about the H&R Ultra Slug Gun. Also, I am contemplating buying a Mossberg 500 combo for $259 , or Remington 870 express combo for $333 at Walmart if people think that is a better idea. What quality combination of gun and scope would put me in or around 500 can you guys recommend for me? I am a newbie and would appreciate the help so I can finally make the purchase instead of just looking and looking and not getting anything. Thanks very much for any help you can provide...
I purchased a Used Mossberg 500 12 gauge slug gun this fall. It has a 3 in chamber and a 20 inch fully rifled barrel with a cantilever scope mount. I put a 3x9 Tasco scope on it and just love it. I bought the gun for cheaper than I could get a slug barrel for my Benneli Nova shotgun. It had only been shot six times and looks brand new. No scratches at all. I would recomend getting a 12 gauge because you have a better selection of ammunition and buy the fastest slug possible because they have the best trajectories. Also, get a good recoil pad for the gun. Mine kicks the crap out of my shoulder. I stopped sighting it in until i get a recoil pad because I was afraid of getting a terrible flinch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.