Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I use skeet guns for sporting clays. I do OK (high 30s -low 40s) but am considering a new gun with 30in barrels and choke tubes. I like nice wood and checkering. Shoot two/three times a month.

I'd like some suggestions from this august group as to what constitutes the best value out there without regard to price.
What is the most gun for the money? I've read various opinions - everything from Marocchi 99 to SKB TSS to Win Supreme to Lanber 2097/8. Any others that are great values?

Thanks in advace for any opinions... :?:

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
I would have to add the base or hunting models of Browning and Beretta. They are the same actions and if you can pick through them, you can find some decent wood. The Verona can be a decent looking gun but I'm not sure of the longevity of the gun. In the $1500 range, the B. Rizzini guns sold by Rich Cole of Cole Gunsmithing can be had "inexpensively" and look very nice. This is also the price range of the mid-level Beretta and Browning target guns. I. Rizzini (F.A.I.R.) is a decent gun but like B. Rizzini, has a limited number of repair facilities at this time.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Best CHEAP gun for the money would be a Verona - Lifetime warrenty!
Best modest gun- Winchester Supreme Select Sporting
Best high end gun for the money- Perazzi they are a bit less expensive and are just as nice as a K gun.

These are just my opinions. The SKB 85TSS isn't shabby either but I Winchester Supreme can be had for so cheap if you look around.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Don't forget the Ruger Redlabel. They can be found for around $1000/1100 new. I have a 12ga. sporting clays model and like it so much that I picked up a used but like new Redlabel 20ga. for $700. Keith

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hmmmm best value in a sporting clays O/U interesting question. I know you are looking for new but just gotta say that SKB I think is a great gun but would never buy a new one because they can be had for such great deals in the used market.

On to new guns I like the Red Labels and the Supremes They are both good deals in sporting guns. The two different guns I have been able to con people into letting me shoot were:

The Tristar TR-Royal that has some good bang for the buck, I know the guy I was shooting with told me the price but I forget :oops: I know it was under the $1k mark. Looks great and is different.

http://www.tristarsportingarms.com/overunders.htm

Franchi Alcione SL Sport is nice in it has a mechanical safety, ported barrels, and extended choke tubes. The strange thing is the barrel selector is on the trigger. The guy that shoots it seems to like it, but I thought it was a bit odd. I am sure you get used to it. He paid in the upper $1100 for his, not bad.

http://www.franchiusa.com/firearms/alcione-sl.tpl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts