Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which gun would you guys pick for dove hunting and the occasional quail hunt, a Benelli Montefeltro, or a Franchi 48AL? I really like both of the guns, but I can't afford both. Also, if you were to pick the 48AL, would you go with 20 gauge, or 28 gauge? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
512 Posts
If you can shoot them before buying do so. I would prefer the Monte. I don't care for the long recoil guns, AL48, A5 and others. I know many people love them but I prefer a gas or short recoil gun. Both are good guns but it will be easier to pick if you can try them out before decideing.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Hello Jason: I can't offer an opinion on your guns of choice other than gauge. Unless you reload, 28ga shells can be quite expensive, especially if you only buy a few boxex at a time. Since almost all shell manuctures only offer the this gauge with 3/4oz loads, your limited there too! (Winchester/Western does offer a 1oz. load)

the 20ga on the other habd comes in a variety, of 2 3/4 inch loads, from 7/8 oz, 1 oz., and 1 1/8oz. loads. Gunshops, Wal-Mart, K-Mart and many others offer Dove/Quail loads on sale at real reasonable prices, where you can stock up!

If it were me I'd pick the 20ga. that fits you the best, and then practice with it until you find the right load you like the best.

Regards Dave

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
20 gauge for sure for dove. Where I hunt the shots can be pretty long.
Both guns are nice. I would probably opt for the Beneli if I could afford it. maybe even in the cammo.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
I've killed most of my doves with a Daisy Model 25 Pump gun. I guess since I am a big 28 ga fan, I just love those nice little shells! I'd opt for the Franchi but that's just me. I'm not a big Benelli fan. I'd get a Betetta 391 Urika Sporting 20 ga. first! Wait, I already have one! :shock:

BP

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
I would stick with a 20 gauge. The weight savings is .2lbs (2/10th's) for the 28 over the 20.
Both are great upland models. The are both very small and light guns. The Benelli is about 1 1/2" longer in overall length. It also has shims for the stock and a 3" chamber. Both guns are very easy to clean. Both have automatic magazine cutoff's. The Monte has a cartridge release lever that makes unloading easier than the AL48. Both guns have thier safetys at the back of the trigger gaurd. The bolt release button on the Monte is on the right side of the receiver like most other auto's and the AL48's is on the left. Both hold five rounds total and only come in W/B finishes.

I was all set on getting a Monte (12) for my upland gun. I picked up a Franchi AL48 (12) that was right next to the Monte at the gun shop. I ended up with the AL48 and happy with my choice. My buddy has a Monte (12) and it's a great gun for upland. I've shot quite a few pheasants with his and like it very much. Either one is a good choice and they are very csimilar in many ways. Pick the one that feels the best to you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the Franchi in .20 ga and .28 ga. My .28 is the best shooting gun I own. I shoot some skeet with it and average 23/25. That being said, go with the .20 ga. Cheaper shooting and a good dove gun.

·
Banned
473 Posts
Of the two, the Benelli is the better gun. However, I would not buy either. A Remington 1100 20ga is just as good if not batter, shoots softer and is much less expensive. I use a pair of these (sporting clays models) while high volume dove hunting and have no problems. In a 20ga, I think the 1100 is "best of breed" and that's after having owned most of the others.

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
I personally would get the Benelli M1 over the Montefeltro. i like the higher rib on the M1. Since they aren't offering the Benelli in 28 ga I'd go with the 20 ga.

·
Registered
296 Posts
both are nice guns...but you can go through some shells shooting dove...I'd find the cost of 28's a little restrictive so I'd go with the 20

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just got back from using my SxS 16 ga with double triggers. Iit is lighter than the 12 ga, easy to shoot and brings the Dove down.
Doug

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
Last trip down south,we left our guns in the US and shot 20 and 12 gauge Montefeltros at the ranch. I shot over 5000 rounds at dove and pigeons without a hiccup. These are truly great guns. :!:

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
MX 8-20 w/ a extra set of 28g barrels.I have taken this gun to Argentina and dropped 3000+ doves w/ no problem at all.It has 31 1/2 " barrels and weighs a little over 7 lbs.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
a Benelli Montefeltro, or a Franchi 48AL? I really like both of the guns, but I can't afford both.
sera,
Be sure to let us know where you can get a Perazzi MX-8 with 2 sets of barrels for about the same money as a Franchi 48AL or a Montefeltro.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
C: good point--but it its MY favorite dove gun and I use it for small gauge SC's, too.

One can never have too many guns.

Life is too short to shoot an ugly gun.

·
Registered
440 Posts
sera russell said:
MX 8-20 w/ a extra set of 28g barrels.I have taken this gun to Argentina and dropped 3000+ doves w/ no problem at all.It has 31 1/2 " barrels and weighs a little over 7 lbs.
How was that vacation? Must have been a dream. One day (after I win the lotto :lol: ) I'll make it down there for dove.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts