Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
If you're near a Walmart they have some good ones. Here they're $1.88 per pair. Blue with an orange nylon cord. 26 decible rating.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you don't want to spend a ton of money try going to a larger local shoot or inquire at a local club if anyone locally does molded ear plugs. They are way more comfortable than any of the typical foam or headphone type. Usually they can be had for under $50. Probably around $150 if you go to a hearing doctor and have molds made then sent in to a earplug company and made.

If you really want to get crazy you can get similar custom molded earplugs with electronic inserts so you can hear normal conversations and such but the electronics block out sound. These can go anywhere from $300 ish to close to $2000 depending on the model/style. Myself I never could see spending that kinda money so I just get the normal molded ones. I like that you can leave them in for hours and it never hurts your ears or become uncomfortable and I think they do a better job. It is important to get someone that is good at molding them though cause if they are not done right they don't work nearly as well.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Here is the URL to the ear plugs I use:

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/html/leight_hearing.htm#max1

I used to race motorcyles and ear plugs were needed just as much for that as they are when shooting. These were the best ear plugs I ever used. Several friends had custom plugs made and these ear plugs worked better and were just as comfortable.

You can wear them all day long and they are quite inexpensive. For racing, I used the Max 1. For shooting, I would consider the Max 30 since the cord would be an advantage.

Scott

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey Nalley,

I swear by my Radians Sabres. They are, for lack of a better term, shooting glasses with built in earplugs. The frame of the galsses actually hold the plugs in your ears, and they are very comfortable.

Check them out at

www.radiansinc.com/sabre.asp

They only run about $20 a pair, and come in different lens colors. I shoot with amber lens myself, all year round.

I used to use those molded ear plugs, but they got uncomfortable over time. The foamies are OK, but also get uncomfortable.

The Sabre's use a silicone elastomer gel for their plugs, which are soft enough that you can have em on all day.

I also have clear ones for woodworking and indoor pistol shooting.

Hope this helps!

Gil

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I like these red red one's called "snug plugs". But the only place I have seen them is at my local range.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I get a fair amount of wind noise with the blue plugs on an orange string. The foam ones just don't work for me, as I have a rather strange ear canal, and the muffs are too intrusive when mounting the gun. So the molded were the best alternative for me.

I recently got a set of molded E.A.R. Insta-mold style. You can have them made with or without the nylon cord for about $50. I opted for no cord. I got two different colors, so I can tell right from left with a quick glance. These really stop the noise. Unfortunately, they stop it too well, and I can't hear anything going on around me. Next week, I am going to get them fitted with the filters, which will allow me to hear conversations, but block the report of shots. The filters are a $15 option. I think this will be ideal, as they are very comfortable, and there is absolutely no wind noise with these.

I had planned on getting the filters installed when these were originally fitted, but I was encouraged by the installer to use them for a few weeks, to make sure the fit was good and to get accustomed to them. They also continue to cure for about 24 hours, so it is better to wait before having the filters installed.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Get a pair of the custom molded silicone ear plugs for $35. Most state trap tourneys will have a vendor making them. Best ear plugs I have ever owned.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I used the Moldex Rockets (26db NRR) which i picked up from:
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/moldexrockets.html

I used them today shooting trap and they were like a cone of silence. They're cheap too... $1.50 for a corded pair? Hard to beat that. safetyglassesusa.com is a great site with super customer service... free UPS shipping, etc. I also picked up a pair of ESS ICE2.4 shooting glasses from them. Good stuff.

73, Steve

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
HamGunner,

The Max 30 ear plugs I mentioned previously are 33db NRR and cost 24 cents each if you buy a box of 100. If you don't care about the cords, you can get the Max 1 (33db NRR) for 12 cents a pair.

That's hard to beat. I've used these plugs for years and everone that I have turned on to them just love them. They are comfortable, easy to insert, and cheap. You can't buy an ear plug with a better NRR.

Scott

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ohh yeah, 12 or 24 cents a pair certainly is better, and looks like better protection. I think 26db is OK for the shotgun range but maybe not as great for the rifle range, esp if anyone is shooting hi-power. Are those reusable plugs? The moldex rockets are washable and came with a little pocket case. But for 12 cents those others may be a better value after all. :)

I can say the moldex rockets "plug" right in and i had no fitting-problems and they didn't work themselves loose during 2 rounds of trap. I've used foam ones before and they've fallen out. Maybe i didn't instert them properly. Hard to say!

73, Steve

·
Registered
187 Posts

These are dual purpose reusable plugs come from AOSafety. I critiqued 'em on post a few months ago, before I really had a chance to use 'em consistently.

Now I can tell you I love 'em! Indicates these are the ones our US Armed Forces are supplied with, and I could believe that's true. Very well made, comfortable, totally washable, and work great! Depending on which end you insert, here's what they do:

Yellow end - noise-activated protection up to NRR 22dB for outdoor range use.

Olive end - conventional NRR 22dB for indoor range use.

I use 'em for shotgunning only, and still prefer electronic headphones for the pistol/rifle range. The great thing about the yellow ends is that you hear with zero db loss, until the exact moment of a shot blast, when the diaphragms within the ear plug close with 22 db's of protection. PLENTY of protection I have come to learn.

The one thing I had problems with initially was just getting these things inserted properly and comfortably. Someone filled me in on THE TRICK with these: ya gotta' lick 'em real quick, insert, and give a half twist. They're inserted in a jiffy now (and with no ear infections to boot... :wink: )

Check 'em here:

http://www.aosafety.com/shooters/products/ear_03.htm

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would have to second Nortonic's recommendations on the AO Safety plugs. The yellow end works very well to allow normal conversation with minimal hearing loss, while protecting very well from the muzzle blasts. The green end gives protection just like foam plugs, except there is no waiting for the foam to expand, and no rolling around in the fingers.

They are also cheap, and so far mine have shown no signs of wearing out after half a year.

Have not used electronic hearing protection yet, but for the outdoor range, these beat any foam plugs I have used to date.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.