Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking to pick up tactical 870. As in: mostly a fun gun for shooting at the range, some serious shotgun training and hopefully some 3 gun competition. But I want it configured in a realistic HD way too -- just to keep my options open. So I don't want to get all tricked out or excessively 'tacticool'. I want what works and nothing more.

I understand some people think ghost rings are unnecessary for serious work with a shotgun. But for me, I do think they make sense. They increase the fun level a lot at the range, and I don't expect they distract much at all from the quick, close-in reflex shots. (am I wrong on that?) And for some tactical applications they are necessary.

So my question is: whats my best approach to putting ghost rings on an 870? What is the best brand of sight? Should I shell out the extra cash for the Police model that comes with them factory installed?

Or can I find happiness in a $300 Express with aftermarket sights installed by a local smith? How much should the smith work cost (i.e. how long will it take)?

While I'm rambling: originally i was committed to buying the 870 Police model #4449 (that comes with the Wilson Combat Ghost Ring rear sight and XS front sight post). But, thats really gonna' cost me about $500 more than the 870 Express model #5077 at Big 5. And I did read somewhere on the internet that those ghost rings are not as good as others (I think the MMCs???). Although I've also heard that they're fine.

So, now I'm thinking I might actually be content with the 870 Express and aftermarket sights installed. That shouldn't run more than $150 or so right?

The obvious, unspoken and related discussion, is if the 870 Express will be a sturdy and durable enough gun. Does it hold up under full-on training situations? Do I need the Improved Choke of the 870 Police barrel? Can I be confident in the Express? Obviously the 870 Police is better, but (after way too much internet browsing in the last couple weeks) I'm thinking the Express is truly good enough. Maybe I'll open a new thread on this...

Anybody have any advice? I guess to keep this thread under control, I can boil my question down to: "what are the best ghost rings on the good enough 870?"

thank you all for tolerating my first post.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I saw that a while back as well. I thought it kinda odd, but then again I work in the computer field where everybody makes everybody else's stuff.

jam watch welcome to the basement!!!

The 870 express may not be as beefy as the police but it still as stout as any SG out there. The difference is the trigger group housing being plastic the finish and I believe the barrel may be cylinder instead of imp. cylinder.

I have even less advice on the GRs but would like to know which way you decide to go, and what you think after you do it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
If you are looking for a shotgun with Ghost ring sights you are better off going with a Mossberg 590A1 with Ghost ring sights. Cost and durability wise it is the best deal going in a HD combat shotgun. The 590SP with GRS and heat shield is good also, if you don't mind the plactic safety and trigger guard. Both of these shotguns in a 20" barrel are a 9 shot 8+1 shotgun. The Remington 870 in 18" barrel is a 6+1 and 20" is 7+1.

MOSS 590A1 NEW about $429
MOSS 590SP NEW about $379

You can find them used on Gunbroker, Auction Arms and Guns America for a lot less. Shop around you may them new for less also.

If you don't mind spending around $550 on a shotgun. Take a look at the Mossberg 930 SPX Tactical autoloader with excellent Ghost Rings sights 18.5 " barrel 7+1. It is a fun gun to shoot.

GC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.