Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dear sir, I don't know if you answer questions for the public but there is information i really need and can't seem to find so if you could I would really appreciate it.I am planning to buy a new shotgun. I want one I can use for turkey as well as dove or quail hunting. the gun i am considering is the beretta 390 semi auto. My main question is concerning barrel length. As you know most 12 ga shotguns have barrel lengths ranging from about 26 to 32 inches. I would like to know what the different barrel lengths would mean to me as a hunter.thank you for the infotim lolley [email protected]

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Hey Tim,Thanks for dropping by Shotgunworld.com!The barrel length really has no impact on shooting distance or even shot pattern. The primary concern for barrel length is 'line of sight' . A longer barrel gives you a longer line of sight to look down, which should increase accuracy. The choke of the barrel determines the pattern. As a dove hunter myself (see Dove Sportsman's Society link on main web page) I prefer the 28" barrel. The quail hunter's prefer the short (24" if you can find 'em) barrel. Usually, they have to target a quail in a split second. They also have to deal with thick brush and you don't want to be carrying a flag pole of a gun through the brush. Most turkey hunters prefer a shorter barrel (22"-26") and a really tight choke.Just remember that it's the choke that determines the pattern. I would recommend the 26" barrel if I just had to choose in your situation. Hope it helps.regards,Jay GentryShotgunworld.com

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Jay is right, in the modern shotguns with tubed chokes barrel length is not as important as it once was. Recall that differing receivers cause a barrel length to be longer or shorter. So, say in an auto vs a double a 26 in one gun will not be a 26 in another, also consider over all gun length.For trap shooters a longer barrel allows for a "better" sight picture, hence this is why there are 30, 32, and 34" barrels....which is something you really aren't supposed to look at anyway. Consider where and how you plan on using the gun and if the extra length may be an issue, like in a duck pit.There is nothing wrong with the Beretta 390, however you might want check the 391. Comes in a wide variety of options.Rick

·
Registered
45 Posts
So the barrel length don't give more distance ..so they are no difference between 28" and 30" inch barrel in distance... But why they use extended choke tube 2" for shotguns if it dosent help for more distance...

·
Premium Member
11,281 Posts
bob572 said:
So the barrel length don't give more distance ..so they are no difference between 28" and 30" inch barrel in distance... But why they use extended choke tube 2" for shotguns if it dosent help for more distance...
Wow you went way back to find this 10 year old thread :shock: With extended chokes it's easier to see whats in the gun,are the chokes staying tight,easier to change if wanted for S/C's

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
bob572 said:
ok................ but why the 2" (5cm) extended ... if want to see want in the gun 1cm extended is enought...
It is believed that a longer choke section can produce a better pattern due to the shot being squeezed through the choke more gradually thus deforming the shot less and causing less flyers than a flush choke. YMMV. The only way to know for sure is to pattern your choke in your gun. Anyway, the length of the choke is not to increase barrel length. I killed a turkey at 55 yards with a Carlson extended turkey choke in .660 constriction. My barrel was a 20" barrel so even with the extended choke it was only 22". Barrel length does not determine how far a shotgun shoots - choke does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts