Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
I bought My K80 From Pacific Sporting Arms. They were great. I hate to admit it, but I bought the gun, as I really felt that the price would be hard to beat, and the gun was in stock. I have talked to Robert Paxton, and I truly believe that He is very good, and friendly at what He does. Have had some work done at Dupont, and was very happy. Lately, I have had a chance to talk with Mike Storeim at Evergreen Sporting Arms in Colorado. He runs a smaller shop, but I have really been impressed, and You can probably get very good individual service. Lastly, It is important to note, that the largest Krieghoff dealers, sell mostly sporting guns. If You are a Trap shooter. You may want to go to a dealer that sells more of those type guns. Lastly, I suspect that If You find a really good buy, You can buy it and know that pretty much all the dealers, are great. Good luck on Your purchase.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Rooster booster said:
Ernest T, are you looking at a particular model K80? Gun hunting......sure is fun.
I shoot mostly sporting, but also shoot occasional skeet, and less trap, so I'm leaning towards a K-80 Sporting or Pro Sporter. I've shot a K-80 Sporting and really liked it, but would like to try a Pro-Sporter, and maybe even a K-80 Parcours before I make my final decision.

I've got months before making the purchase, so hope to get a chance to shoot each of the above before making a purchase.

·
Banned
6,662 Posts
Have fun! I'm sure if you can get to some reasonable size shoots, or to one of the dealers mentioned.....you'll have no trouble getting your hands on several different models.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've bought 2 K80's from Chris at Clay Target Sports. He was trained by Krieghoff in Ulm to service these guns and services what he sells. Great to work with and his prices are competitive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I ended up going with PSA as they had the engraving/engraver I wanted in when I had the cash to buy. With that I talked a lot with Paxton and du Pont as well and I would not hesitate buying from any of them (but my wife, who was with me on the multi-year decision journey) really, really liked Paxton (as did I, but the timing did not align).

·
Registered
208 Posts
Skeet_Man said:
Why would you want to pay anything more than the absolute cheapest price? What "value" could choosing a higher priced dealer offer you if the product you receive is exactly the same either way? Any warranty work will be handed by the mfg, so that's not really something the dealer will have an impact on. You are likely going to get a very similar level of customer service from ANY of Krieghoff's dealers, so I don't see much sense in spending extra $ just to spend extra $
Let me teach you something about buying high-end products. Maybe you've heard the terms "stepping over dollars to chase pennies" or "pound foolish and penny wise." This is a perfect example of that. You're about to spend a *minimum* of $11,000 on a new shotgun and the marketing research shows that most folks buying a new K-80 (or any other top end firearm) will spend many times that amount over their lifetime.

Sure, you can send a one sentence email to every dealer in the country asking for their 'best price' on a particular gun. Now, most Krieghoff dealers are wonderful people who provide quality service to just about everyone so it's unlikely you'll have a problem. However, they are also business people whose time is worth money. The products they sell are also price protected so it's highly unlikely you'll get a real 'deal' on a new gun with your first interaction. They also aren't stupid so they know what is going on when they get that email and they know they aren't the only one getting it.

So maybe you find one willing to sell you a gun for $500.00 cheaper than everyone else. Good for you! But why would they do that? I'm confident that no dealer will intentionally screw a customer but there are some things they can do to make the value proposition better for them. Maybe there are a couple of less choke tubes coming with that particular gun than from another dealer? You're likely going to get the plainest wood s/he's got in the shop at that price. Maybe there is a big scratch on the bottom of the case? Perhaps you get a new gun but they just happened to have a 3 year old receiver they haven't been able to sell. There are lots of things that can happen that won't mess up your deal but could make it better for the dealer.

Now, why would you want to build a relationship with your dealer? I see my Krieghoff's as a lifetime purchase. When I call my dealer, I want them to know my name, return my calls, and let me know when there is something I might be interested in. When I want to to get the first set of 34" barrels that come in the shop who do you think he's going to sell it to? When I'm ready to upgrade my standard receiver who do you think is going to give me the 'best' deal on a trade? When my gun breaks in the middle of the summer and needs service, guess who can get me at the front of the line so I get it back before my next big shoot? There are a million reasons why I want to be considered a good customer to my dealer instead of the guy looking to save $50.00 over email.

Finally, here is the 'real' reason: A relationship with a dealer from a known customer will get you the real 'best' price...even cheaper than some random jamoke emailing them asking for their 'best price'.

Here is my advice: Pick 2 or 3 dealers located geographically close to you and pick up the phone, call them, discuss what you're looking for, and have a real conversation with them. Most KI dealers are wonderful people and just as willing to get to know you and your needs and you'll have a much better experience this time and the next time as well. I completely understand if you have to go out-of-state to save on sales taxes, they get it to. But in your effort to save $100.00 I really feel you're missing out on what could be future value.

Just my humble opinion buying and trading many K-guns over the decades. I'm probably the poorest person on the planet that bought a new completely custom K-80 and I know I wouldn't have it without developing long-lasting relationships with KI folks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
sujumanji said:
Skeet_Man said:
Why would you want to pay anything more than the absolute cheapest price? What "value" could choosing a higher priced dealer offer you if the product you receive is exactly the same either way? Any warranty work will be handed by the mfg, so that's not really something the dealer will have an impact on. You are likely going to get a very similar level of customer service from ANY of Krieghoff's dealers, so I don't see much sense in spending extra $ just to spend extra $
Let me teach you something about buying high-end products. Maybe you've heard the terms "stepping over dollars to chase pennies" or "pound foolish and penny wise." This is a perfect example of that. You're about to spend a *minimum* of $11,000 on a new shotgun and the marketing research shows that most folks buying a new K-80 (or any other top end firearm) will spend many times that amount over their lifetime.

Sure, you can send a one sentence email to every dealer in the country asking for their 'best price' on a particular gun. Now, most Krieghoff dealers are wonderful people who provide quality service to just about everyone so it's unlikely you'll have a problem. However, they are also business people whose time is worth money. The products they sell are also price protected so it's highly unlikely you'll get a real 'deal' on a new gun with your first interaction. They also aren't stupid so they know what is going on when they get that email and they know they aren't the only one getting it.

So maybe you find one willing to sell you a gun for $500.00 cheaper than everyone else. Good for you! But why would they do that? I'm confident that no dealer will intentionally screw a customer but there are some things they can do to make the value proposition better for them. Maybe there are a couple of less choke tubes coming with that particular gun than from another dealer? You're likely going to get the plainest wood s/he's got in the shop at that price. Maybe there is a big scratch on the bottom of the case? Perhaps you get a new gun but they just happened to have a 3 year old receiver they haven't been able to sell. There are lots of things that can happen that won't mess up your deal but could make it better for the dealer.

Now, why would you want to build a relationship with your dealer? I see my Krieghoff's as a lifetime purchase. When I call my dealer, I want them to know my name, return my calls, and let me know when there is something I might be interested in. When I want to to get the first set of 34" barrels that come in the shop who do you think he's going to sell it to? When I'm ready to upgrade my standard receiver who do you think is going to give me the 'best' deal on a trade? When my gun breaks in the middle of the summer and needs service, guess who can get me at the front of the line so I get it back before my next big shoot? There are a million reasons why I want to be considered a good customer to my dealer instead of the guy looking to save $50.00 over email.

Finally, here is the 'real' reason: A relationship with a dealer from a known customer will get you the real 'best' price...even cheaper than some random jamoke emailing them asking for their 'best price'.

Here is my advice: Pick 2 or 3 dealers located geographically close to you and pick up the phone, call them, discuss what you're looking for, and have a real conversation with them. Most KI dealers are wonderful people and just as willing to get to know you and your needs and you'll have a much better experience this time and the next time as well. I completely understand if you have to go out-of-state to save on sales taxes, they get it to. But in your effort to save $100.00 I really feel you're missing out on what could be future value.

Just my humble opinion buying and trading many K-guns over the decades. I'm probably the poorest person on the planet that bought a new completely custom K-80 and I know I wouldn't have it without developing long-lasting relationships with KI folks.
Who is your go to dealer?

·
Registered
208 Posts
MPH said:
Who is your go to dealer?
I appreciate the question but for a number of reasons I'd rather not share that publicly.

I will say that pretty much all of them are wonderful. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with all of the dealers mentioned in this thread. Depending on what you're looking for, one might be better than others for your particular needs. As stated above, some might specialize in skeet guns and others might be more focused on trap or skeet guns. A few have factory gunsmiths on hand that can fit barrels or install a release trigger without the added time or cost to ship to Ottsville. One might have 4 of the same gun and another might have 10 stocks they'll let you pick from. A few of them focus on high end engraved guns. If you have specific questions I'll be happy to answer them via PM.

Of course, if your main goal is to save 1% on the cost, it doesn't matter who you use.
-dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased from Robert Paxton, few days of questions and his knowledge, honesty and working with me to get the Parcours that I EXACTLY wanted was an experience beyond my expectations to say the least.

I'm sure a few of my questions were common knowledge to the Kreighoff dealers and previous owners , but this is my first one.
He answered the phone EVERY time I called and made me feel as if I was his only customer.

Being in sales for 40 years, that experience, is what exemplary customer service is all about.

No need to look elsewhere, give him a call.

Johnny K

·
Registered
388 Posts
I also bought a retirement K80 for myself.

I used Paxton. As stated by others Robert fielded several phone calls from me regarding my original purchase, later when the stock had to be refinished after being damaged in an accident and when I upgraded my receiver. Robert answered every question with kindness and patience.

I'm planning on buying a K20 soon and when I do it will be with Robert.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
sujumanji said:
Of course, if your main goal is to save 1% on the cost, it doesn't matter who you use.
While I can't guarantee it would be the same with a Krieghoff, when I sent out the spec sheet on the Blaser I wanted, the price difference from high to low was a LOT more (thousands!) from high to low, and the one I thought would have the best price had the highest (basically MSRP), and the one with the lowest was definitely not who I would have expected. I didn't end up pursuing it, but it definitely solidified my opinion that it pays to get prices from EVERY dealer.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Skeet_Man said:
While I can't guarantee it would be the same with a Krieghoff, when I sent out the spec sheet on the Blaser I wanted, the price difference from high to low was a LOT more (thousands!) from high to low, and the one I thought would have the best price had the highest (basically MSRP), and the one with the lowest was definitely not who I would have expected. I didn't end up pursuing it, but it definitely solidified my opinion that it pays to get prices from EVERY dealer.
Are Blaser's price protected? I have no idea...I'm not even sure I could name 2 Blaser dealers.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
sujumanji said:
Skeet_Man said:
Are Blaser's price protected? I have no idea...I'm not even sure I could name 2 Blaser dealers.
I believe they are MAP, but don't know if they are RPM. Are Krieghoffs RPM?

21 - 40 of 64 Posts