Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the web for atleast an hour and only ended up finding recipes on the Winchester web site!! Where can I find a wide variety of loads? I'm looking for a good skeet load and a good dove load, at the moment I am using new AA hulls and have nothing else since I don't know what to buy!! I will most likely end up using all kinds of different shells to reload with so I'd like to have a good index to find a large variety of loads.

Thanx in advance!

Chris

·
Registered
314 Posts
Pick up a copy of the Lyman Shotgun Loading Book.

You will have a great selection of loads using different hulls.

Right now, Remington RXP are about the best, unless you can find the Winchester AA hulls in red.

RePete.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
The reloading data is on the powder manufacturer's websites... try Hodgdon, Alliant, IMR, etc. - or, if you're interested, I could e-mail you the Hodgdon data in .pdf format.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Check out Hodgdon's "Annual Manual" magazine. It's about $8 ...well spent. Most current loading data for the newer powders. Also, I agree that the Lyman book is one of the best. If you are a novice, get as much info as you can. Read, read, read!! DO NOT use any loads posted on this forum or any other unles you confirm them in a published manual! You're talkin' about pullin' the trigger on something that releases several thousand PSI of pressure right under your face! Take the time to read the Lyman manual so that you know what you're doing is safe.

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
n00b;

Any place that you find your powder and wads will most likley have data, all you can stand. I have books from the powder and wad manufacturers that date back into the 70's. I use that data as the most reliable available. I think the folks who actually make the powder and wads aught to be the ones who best know what works and how much you need. There is good data at the Hodgdon web site as well as Alliant. I've not looked at IMR or others since I do have thier current (2003) data books. Go to the grafs site. They have links to all the sites I've mentioned. Some of the sites are a bit confusing finding the data, but it is usually there. I know I had to do some experimental brousing at the Hodgdon site a couple times before I found what I was looking for. It was there, I just had to figure out how to get to it! Go to your local reloading supply store and I'll bet he has all the free booklets you would ever want! Especialy if you are loading the AAs, the most popular shotgun hull for loading EVER! It is slipping, but if you are in the powder or primer or wad business, the first hull you work with is the AA. "Seek and ye shall find, Knock and it shall be opened unto you!" What you are looking for is both plentifull and free!

BP

G

·
I searched all over for powder bushing data on my Hornady 366. I finally found it all at the Hodgdon site. I'm planning on trying some of their Longshot powder for 2-3/4" field loads, just because the website is so comprehensive.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You may not want to switch your powders and Hulls too much because reloading is a skill that you grow with. Changing your pattern, shot-size, ect. will make it more difficult to find that "perfect" recipe. When I started reloading, I sat down with the Lyman Reloading book and went through all the recipes. I chose my recipes by the size and make of my Hull. I then looked at the velocity, shot weight, and powder make. The reason for watching for the powder make is that you may find a similar load that you can make using the same powder. Makes it nicer to be able to use the same powder when experimenting with loads. Saves money too :) Good Luck to you!!! Big D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.