Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm looking for a new shot gun. What is the best pump and why. Benelli/ Remington/ Mossberg. Does Beretta make a pump? I want something that works without being worked on and will hold up to whatever you throw at it. I will use if for duck hunting and maybe dove and quail. Thanks

·
Registered
439 Posts
This is one of the most complicated topics on this site. Read this thread to see my point. Most pumps are above average in dependability and versatility, so picking one is tough to say the least. It would probably be easier to pick one that is best for each type of hunting, than just one that is best at both.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... highlight=

I vote for the Nova, but every model has a group of staunch, hard-headed supporters, of varying quantity. Don't forget the Brownings. Beretta does not make a pump. As far as I can tell the most popular pumps made are (in no order): Rem 870, Mossberg 500/590/88/835/535, Benelli Nova, Winchester 1300/Ranger, Browning BPS, Stoeger P350(cheaper version of nova), NEF Pardner Pump(cheaper, Chinese made version of 870), and probably others. Don't forget classics like the Winchester 12/42, and Ithaca 37.

If I was getting a pump for ducks and geese I would get something longer, heavier, and 3.5 inch. The exact opposite would be good for quail, and both would work dove (I've seen them taken with EVERYTHING). Look on Gunsamerica.com or Gunbroker.com for deals. Have fun.

·
Registered
255 Posts
hogfan81 said:
but every model has a group of staunch, hard-headed supporters, of varying quantity.
That's a true statement if there ever was around here. :lol:

I would say M37, BPS, or Nova.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I once shot a elephant with a pump (name choice here) at 500 billion yards away! That's because (insert pump here) is better than rest. The rest all stink and my friends friend of a friend's friend told me one broke once and none of them are good except for (insert pump here.) It can cook my meals, it can kill my animals from any distance, and it keeps me warm at night! :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There's plenty of good pumps. Grab one and go, if you're new to the shooting, might be worth one of the lesser priced ones, you might not like shotgunning, and want to get out of it, at least then you've not sunk a lot of money into it. Always upgrade later if it tickles your fancy.

TAB

·
Registered
32 Posts
The best pump is the one you own, and don't have to borrow from your buddies! Just buy of of the above mentioned contenders and shoot it. These are all well built firearms.

Cheers!

·
Registered
32 Posts
The best pump is the one you own, and don't have to borrow from your buddies! Just buy of of the above mentioned contenders and shoot it. These are all well built firearms.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll have to go with the 870 since it just saved me from a burglar about 2hrs ago(no joke). Guy was trying to steal my stereo in my living room. My two wiener dogs had him at baye and I was on my landing. It looked like he wasnt sure if he should go thru my dogs and get the stereo or not.

I then racked a round into my 870(Rem Nitro Mag)t and he turned around and was looking down the barrel of my 870. He then took off out the door. Never did find him. Chaulk one up for the 870 here.

True story. Now maybe my wife will let me get another gun. javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
Best selling = 870

Most options = 870

Most configurations = 870

Most gauges = 870

Best selling target pump = 870

Best longevity record = 870

Used most by military = 870

Used most by police = 870

Most aftermarket options available = 870

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
When I saw the thread was about the BEST pump gun...I just assumed you would be asking about a MODEL 12 Winchester :roll:

·
Registered
255 Posts
deadapair said:
I think the most underrated is the Browning BPS.

That thing exudes quality and is built like a brick ****house.
Do I want to own a brick ****house? :lol: Seriously, nice shotguns. I like the comment about the best one being the one you don't have to borrow... THAT is some truth!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I'm down to 2 to pick from the express or the Nova. What kind of warranty does each have. I can get a camo 870 express super mag at Wal Mart for 298 and with the Remington $50 rebate thats a brand new one for $250. That seems pretty good but I see some here saying the super mag may have some problems thats why I asking about the warranty.
I will use it more for duck hunting I guess since I have a nice old Winchester for dove hunting.
I am trying to find a freind with a Nova so I can try one out. The 870 I am using right now seems preety good as long as I remember to pump it. I am just to use to my semi auto been hunting with the same one for over 25 years now.
Thanks everyone keep'em coming I don't plan on buying one till right before Christmas so I can put it under the tree for myself.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
You should be able to find warranty information on the manufactures web site, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Even the cheapest pump should last a lifetime under normal field use. My Mossberg has fired thousands of rounds over the last 40 years and it's about as cheap as they come.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I checked prices on the novas and P-350s this afternoon. Camo nova was 369 before taxes, black one was 299, P-350 was 249. Keep in mind this store sells their guns a little above average because they happen to employ knowledgeable, helpful people. You can certainly find these guns for cheaper, you just might not get an answer to your questions. Seems like I saw 500s at WM for 199, Rem 870 Expresses for ~250, and the 835 for about 300. When I get home I'll check my manual about the nova's warranty. I can tell you I don't plan on needing it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
870 Wingmasters are the best pumps in my personal exprience and thoughts...
Later,
RemingtonBoy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts