Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: I have been comparing the Benelli, Remington, Browning, and Winchester pumps. I just wanted to get opinions about what people think are the best, as far as durability, value, accuracy, and the gun overall. The main use of the gun would be for waterfowl and some turkey. :?:

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I own a nova and love it. They are great guns.

·
Registered
818 Posts
And now for something completely different.

I have a Nova which I use exclusively for waterfowl. I cant say enough about it. 400.00 out the door in camo with recoil compensator. It swings smoothly and naturally for me.

The slickest thing about the Benelli to me is that the designers were sharp enough to add a nipple on the end of the tube/barrel lock cap which pushes both pins holding the trigger assembly out. You then use the inner lip of the barrel tube lock cap to pull pins. Difficult to explain, but hypothetically, you can drop gun in soupy mud, pull gun apart in seconds, rinse clean, reassemble and be back in business in 2 minutes or less.

With that said, I have a number of 870's which I have been shooting since I was 12. I would not hesitate to drag one out in the field and shoot it in the harshest, nastiest conditions.

So why the Benelli over the 870. To me, the Benelli is almost a throw away gun. By this I mean that they can take an incredible pounding and in the event they wear out, get tore up, wet the bed, etc, they are easily replaced, less expenisely than the Wingmaster.

I am not a huge fan of the Express so I left it alone. Great gun, I just don't care for it personally. I don't have extensive experience with the other shotguns you mentioned, although I have heard great things about them as well.

You may want to focus on fit first and foremost. Don't forget that you will have waders and a heavy coat on so drag your wading jacket with you while you test drive shotguns. A gun that feels great in a t-shirt or light jacket could be difficult to shoulder quickly in a blind with all of your clothing on.

Finally, regardless of your choice, you are safe. If you aren't happy with your initial purchase, you can always sell it or keep it as a back up.

Good luck !

G

·
WOW---all the Nova love out there---I thought I was the only one.

I have 12 and 20 ***** Nova's----good guns.

20 years ago ---the 870 was king---not anymore----the Nova is now the pump gun to beat.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'll put in my vote for the Winchester 1300s. I know that the Winnies aren't as "sexy" as the Novas or 870s, but for silky smooth action you'll have a hard time beating a 1300.

Gunner45

·
Registered
124 Posts
NOVA! But, like the other guys say you need to test the fit of the gun. Get what feels natural to you. I personally did my homework and was far more impressed by the Benelli than any other gun (for the price). My second choice would have been a BPS, but they were out of my price-range. The Benenlli will go bang each and every time you need it to. Its not pretty, but you did ask which was best. Also, the recoil reduction unit is slick for an extra $60, you can't beat it!

NOVA, NOVA, NOVA!!!!!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Heh, well the best is the Model 12, but I won't go there :)

In a new gun I'd say either an 870 if it happens to fit you (because of the sheer number of modifications you can make to it) or a Nova if you're really into a slick-shucking gun. Tom Knapp says it's as smooth as a Model 12. I don't know about that, but mine are well and truly worn in and all I've tried is new Novas - and they ARE SMOOTH.

Best luck, get the gun that fits....

·
Registered
173 Posts
O.K. The age old question, so here I go. The best pump in my humble opinion, would have to be the Remington Wingmaster. Now I know there are alot of guys that love their Benelli Novas, but to me they are just to goofy looking and feeling. I have to admit, that I did want one, and I keep playing with the idea every few months or so, but everytime I go the gun shop, I just can't do it it just does not feel like a real gun (I know it is though!). Iv'e shot them, but kept pressing the magazine cut off on the fore end. The Wingmaster is tried and true by every stretch of the imagination! Yes. they really havn't changed in 50 years, cause they are so damn good! There are millions of people that own them, and love them. That must say something for the Wingmaster in itself. It will be along time before any other gun manufacturer will reach Remington's stature, and some probably never will! The Benelli might someday, but not for many, many years. If a design isn't broke, don't fix it, and that obvisously is Remington's way of thinking. Again, this is my humble opinion! & (the facts ha! ha!)

Oh! by the way, Yes. the Wingmaster is still the King of the pumps!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have to go with Jag on this. I have both a Wingmaster and an Ithaca 37 - another gun to consider... They're both very old desings, but it does say something for the design. Plus the Nova isn't available with a beautiful walnut stock - just not a synthetic guy. I have shot the Nova and did like it but my 37 and Wingmaster have just been too reliable. And I'll dare to say that the 37 still has the smoothest action of any pump on the market.

Just my humble opinions...

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Ithaca Model 37.....I have had one for 30 years...20ga....improved cylinder barrel....no complaints...nice wood...barrel is flawless....fits good...easy to carry in the field all day.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am a lefty. I was going between the left handed remy 870 express and the browning bps hunter 12 gauge guns. I did not like the matte finish on the remy and it also didnt feel as good to me as the browning bps. Also what swung me to the browning was the other barrels it offered. The only extra barrel for the left handed remy was a rifle sighted deer barrel, and i wanted a fully rifled deer barrel to go along with my 28 inch smoothy.

I would also add that my dad has had his Ithaca 20 gauge ultra light pump for more than 20 years and it still looks and shoots great

PS. left handed shooters make sure you research your guns closely. Its a good thing the gun shop owner forgot to order the remington 870 i wanted at first because i would have been stuck with a gun i wouldnt have wanted when i found out about the barrels it could handle. Thanks to his mistake I switched my order for a browning bps hunter

·
Registered
19 Posts
I watched Tom Knapp last weekend. The Nova is a great gun. Tom said "smooth as a model 12", "reliable as an 870", and with much stuttering, "economical as a Mossburg". The Show discount price for a synthtic Nova in 12 or 20 gage was $290

If you ever get the chance to see Tom Knapp perform don't miss it.
http://www.tomknapp.net/

kk

·
Registered
21 Posts
hey jteezy just so ya know...any barrel made for an 870 express will fit yer left handed model...u can get fully rifled barrel with rifle sights but im not sure if u can get with cantilever

canadian hunter

·
Registered
8 Posts
Of the brands you mentioned I would have to say Remington Wingmaster. I've owned 2 and liked them both. They are smooth and shoot very well and accurate. But I needed a shotgun that had plenty of power and I could beat up and not worry about. So I purchased a Mossberg 835 in Mossy Oak, a do it all one gun purchase.

Although I have toyed with the idea of purchasing another Wingmaster.......
Buckshoot

1 - 16 of 16 Posts