Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering which of these pumps you think is the best all around pump gun.
1.BPS
2.870 Express Magnum
3.Wingmaster
4.Nova
5.Winchester
6.Mossberg

Me myself I think that the 870 Express is the best pump because it's got great price and it is a nice working gun. It is reliable too.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The best pump for the money is the 870 Express. The best pump that costs too much would be an Ithaca M37 Ultralight. The best pump ever would be a Winchester Model 12.

(These opinions are meant in no way to represent factual assertations. Any value placed on them is done at the informed risk of the reader, and "pumper" is in no way responsible for misuse of these opinions.)

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Best pump ever made - Benelli Nova
Best Price/Performance - Remington 870 Express
Best old school - Ithaca Model 37

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The best value in a pump has got to be the Nova. The feature list is long and the price is only modestly more than an 870 Express.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Sure the Nova works good but it is damned ugly in my opinion. It doesn't go with my hairdo or any of my shoes.

I forgot to mention which is the most accurate pump. Whichever pump I am shooting!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hair? Shoes? What are those? :D

Personally, I like the way the Nova looks, but I like Art Deco too. What I really dig about the Nova is function; nearly everything about it is purpose-built, and I like that in my tools. It also happens to fit me well, so that influences my opinion a bunch!

John

·
Registered
15 Posts
Best pump there is?!? Oh, is that all. :?

I suppose it depends on the use. When I'm on the skeet range, my beautiful 870 Wingmaster gets the call. Always reliable, balanced and a beaut to look at and carry.

But, when I'm in a blind in the snow and mud in late December and my focus is on calling ducks and big Canadas making their way down from Alberta, ( :( sigh, I wish it were season now), I'll take my Nova every time. Switch back and forth between 3 and 3.5 loads as needed and it's absolutely bulletproof in the field. I paid $300 for mine and don't mind a little mud and crud on it. Field strips to its guts in about 2 minutes if my hands are frozen, much less if weather is not too bad. Bottom line, one very functional gun that you don't have to think about--just make sure to fully stroke the pump with the 3.5 shells! Happy hunting!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Depends.

Hunting and trap: Remington 870
Self Defense/Tactical: Mossberg 590

But that is just my humble opinion. They are all about the same once you get used to them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess my vote goes for the Ithaca 37, especially the 16 ga. Like the smooth action and bottom ejection. Points well, feels good, and shoots hard. Come to think about it, I have nothing against the Win. 12s or the Rem. 870s either. They all do the job in fine stye! All of them have been around a long time, and there's lots of them out there. Must have something going for them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Winchester Model 12, without a doubt is the best pump gun ever. My 1950's vintage 16 ga. will hold 7 rounds without the plug. It has the smoothest action I've ever seen. It falls naturally to the target when shouldered and it can shoot as quick as most autos if you know what you're doing. BTW it has a Simmons vent rib. It was obviously set up for trap and skeet. It has a Ra-bar front sight and a mid-rib bead. I've had it for 36 years. It was my first and only shotgun. When my sons got old enough to shoot, I bought them both a Browning model 12 in 20 ga. It is a great reproduction of the Winchester.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts