Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best shot/choke combination for long range pass shooting on big geese? I have 12 gauge with choke tubes and a 3" chamber. This gun is approved for steel, if it makes any difference.

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
Buy a Carlsons long range steel shot choke and use BB. Otherwise the full but you need to pattern the gun to be sure it will throw a pattern that is intact at any kind of yardage. SOmtimes it is almost impossible to get big shot and tight chokes to work.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
How committed are you to shooting steel? Roster says BBB is the best, but maybe T on long range giant canadas. Pellet count is going to be more important that velocity at those ranges so go with the 1 1/4 oz loads over the 1 1/8 oz. I wish I could link you to the CONSEP chart, but I've only ever found it in the back of the hunting guidebooks for ND and SD. I'm sure it's published elsewhere too.

My recommendation: The 1.5 oz load of Hevi-Shot B (or Remington HD) and the tightest patterning choke you have (experiment at the pattern board). I don't hunt geese any more unless they stray over my duck dekes, but I always had more success with heavier-than-steel nontoxics.

-Dave

·
Registered
999 Posts
I'll echo most sentiments here. If you're using steel stick with heavy loads of BBB (1-1/4oz @ 1450fps would be my choice). Use enough choke to keep 60+ pellets in a 30" circle at the range you're planning on shooting.

If you want to try one of the tungsten-based shot types (Remington Wingmaster HD, Winchester Xtended Range, Environmetal Hevi-Shot), then almost any load of #2's will suffice. Even at moderate velocities (1300fps and better) they will outperform steel BBB's and give you a much higher pellet count.

For the ultimate in performance, take a look at Tungsten Super Shot ( www.tungstensupershot.com ). Their load of 5's will outperform any other load available (and will have lower recoil, to boot).

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
T is not a good choice it is too thin to begin with in the payload department and carries almost no more energy than BBB. I would not go any larger than BBB.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I have been using HeviShot on geese for the past 6 years. I have hunted them in both the US and Canada. I would guess the total killed to be in excess of 300 birds. The species taken included snows/blues, white fronts (Specs), and Canada geese. The distances have ranged from in your face over decoys to 70 plus paces over level ground. Less than 5% of the birds hit the ground alive.

The gun used is a Beretta 390 Silver Mallard with the factory IC choke installed. The IC in my gun gives a better 40 yard pattern than the MOD or FULL chokes. The shell is a 2 ¾ inch Environmetal or Remington HeviShot round loaded with 1 ¼ ounces of #4 shot. It is the most deadly round I have ever used on geese.

I have read that the new Tungsten Super Shot is even better, but I have not shot it yet. I still have about a case of HeviShot left to use up before I'll take a look at it. I have not shot any steel shot loads yet that HeviShot did not out perform.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I get decent patterns at 40 yards with 3.5 inch #1 kent fasteel at 1540fps

and the #1 goes right through the geese.

thats all I know

no tight chokes or anything fancy like that

just pattern your loads and you'll be fine.

also if I switch to mod it gets slightly tighter but more fliers so its a tough call on which i use

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I use a Winchester Super X2 in 3.5 inch with Imp Cyl and BBB Fiocchi Steel 1 9/16 oz. Because I can't afford Hevi shot or Bismuth or Tungstun or any other super shells.

If I'm shooting one of my 3 inch chambered guns that day I will shoot the heaviest and fastest load of BBB steel I can find in 3 inch shell and use an Imp Cyl choke still. In steel if you can't get the BBB try to find T's.

Or if you have lots of money buy the super shells in 2's or BB.

Good Luck,

Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.